If he is in fact injured, then we are well and truly up s**t creek without a paddle! We know we can''t score, the defence is our only hope! With Turner already missing a pairing of Barnett and Bennett just scares me to death. If we had to go with them for the run in, it may be time to get that Championship A-Z out.

Not at all! I think vs Villa at least they''ll be fine as a partnership (Bennett and Barnett). We''ve got Russ who can play in the middle too and have Whittaker and Garrido right and left so no, shouldn''t be a problem! They''ll get the job done, and it''ll be up to the attack to do the rest. Our defence doesn''t start and end with Turner and Bassong (although I agree they are the more competent out of the 4); but Barnett and Bennett are good enough to see us through

Bassong makes 3 or 4 mistakes every game which Benteke will punish anyway so I wouldn''t hold your breath for anything on Saturday with or without him.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Bassong makes 3 or 4 mistakes every game which Benteke will punish anyway so I wouldn''t hold your breath for anything on Saturday with or without him.[/quote]Yay we''ve found our new scapegoat

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"][quote user="Yellow Shirt"]Bassong makes 3 or 4 mistakes every game which Benteke will punish anyway so I wouldn''t hold your breath for anything on Saturday with or without him.[/quote]Yay we''ve found our new scapegoat[/quote]I didn''t see that one coming lol.

I''m intrigued at the "we know we can''t score" comment: four goals in our last two home games suggests this is rubbish. Of course it would be better to be at full strength for the run-in, but stuff happens and we have various options if Seb is out.

I have to say the way some are carrying on you''d have thought we were playing Bayern or Barca this weekend rather than Villa, who whatever happens will definitely be below us in the table going into the game: of course they carry a threat but so do all clubs at this level.

Russell Martin can lead the back four from the centre with Whittaker assuming right back duties. Just like away at Swansea.  Martin reads the game well, is a good communicator on the pitch and generally keeps a cool head. Could be crucial on Saturday.I can''t see Hughton going with Barnett alongside R. Bennett.

Don''t get me wrong Bassong is better than many we''ve had recently but he is far from a clean sheet machine.And plenty of others HAVE latched onto his errors this season.Villa are beatable- but not if we play like we have for 99% of this season.

Without Turner and Bassong, our best back 4 is RMart and Bennett or Barnett, with Whittaker and Garrido as full backs. The possible silver lining is Whittaker at RB who performed very well there earlier in the season but my worry is that CH doesn''t seem to favour RMart at centre back. A centre back pairing of Bennett and Barnett is the stuff of nightmares i''m afraid.

Agreed Yarmy but worry is CH will opt for:

Martin - Barnett - Bennett - Garrido

...which is very different

I think it is pretty obvious why Bassong isn''t at a top 6 side, despite his excellent performances for us.  He has been relegated at both Newcastle and Wolves, and didn''t make the grade at Spurs.  He is an excellent footballer just prone to the odd lapse in concentration, or moment of madness.  That is what makes his partnership with the solid and reliable, but not exactly exquisite Turner such a good combination.I have my worries about the weekend, we have looked very shaky at the back when either Bassong or Turner is not playing.  Barnett will battle with the best of them but isn''t up to standard at this level.  R Bennett looked raw and out of his depth, although has played pretty well in his last two games.  Perhaps he is starting to show why Lambert forked out 3 million for him.Hopefully Benteke gets himself sent off tonight....