Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Bennett and Pilks down the wing?

We all know how well Snodgrass has done this season, but he seems very predictable now. Pilks and Benno offer a bit more pace and creativity. For this to work, we will need the full backs to overlap them and get forward, but this proved so successful under Lambert, so why not give it a go?

If you did that I''d drop How son and play Snodgrass in cm. That way you have creativity in three midfield positions which is what you need.

Overlapping wing backs is the route to success for many teams - think of Leighton Baines, think of Arsenal, Spurs, etc.

I am not suggesting that our backs are as quick or good as their counterparts in other sides, but so long as cover is provided, Overlapping backs cause two problems for the other side:

1) The ability of two players to beat one

2) Consequently pressure is on opposing full backs, and they have to emply other players to deal with the threat, and so are less threatening in attack.

We have already seen instances of success down the wings in recent games. Villa, in particular, have a weaker defence, and could succomb. I don''t mind if they score three, so long as we score four!

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Tetty and Bradley in central midfield.[/quote]Well, that''s all the midfield creativity missing yet again then!We''ll win the ball back but then have no-one who can pick a pass out and will instead play a 5 yard ball backwards/sideways or give it back to the opposition...I''d drop Johnno to the bench and play Fox or even ask Howson to actually play like he''s meant to be able to, rather than playing both Tettey and Johnno together...

You''re right, lets put creativity first and play Butterfield and Hoolahan in central midfield?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="tom cavendish"]Tetty and Bradley in central midfield.[/quote]Well, that''s all the midfield creativity missing yet again then!We''ll win the ball back but then have no-one who can pick a pass out and will instead play a 5 yard ball backwards/sideways or give it back to the opposition...I''d drop Johnno to the bench and play Fox or even ask Howson to actually play like he''s meant to be able to, rather than playing both Tettey and Johnno together...[/quote]We would be playing with 2 wingers and Holt & Kei so would have strong attacking options. Playing Holt & Kei up front together would also give the full-backs something to aim for.  I would start with Tettey and Johnson and then see how it goes. If making a change then I would take off Johnson rather than Tettey.

[quote user="AJ"]You''re right, lets put creativity first and play Butterfield and Hoolahan in central midfield?[/quote]Read my response again (in fact read it a few times so you grasp what''s being said), and you''ll clearly see that I suggest having ONE defensive minded player in the centre (Tettey), along with ONE creative player (Fox/Howson).Quite how you''ve reached the conclusion that I''ve suggested leaving all defensive mids out is beyond me???

Sorry but neither BJ nor AT create anything in midfield...we need Hoolahan playing. I agree with the wide players , so that would mean left to right

Pilks - Hoolahan - Tettey/BJ - Snoddy - Bennett

With one playing up front, preferably Kei or Becchio, as Holt does not play well up on his own. The defensive midfield role done by one player iso two. Let''s go for it!

I would go with:               Holt  KamaraPilkington Johnson Tettey BennettWhittaker Bassong Bennett Martin                     BunnOR               Holt  KamaraPilkington Fox Tettey BennettWhittaker Bassong Bennett Martin                     BunnOR         Holt                 WesPilkington Johnson Tettey BennettWhittaker Bassong Bennett Martin                        BunnOR         Holt                 WesPilkington Fox Tettey BennettWhittaker Bassong Bennett Martin                        Bunn

Tettey can do pretty much everything that Johnson can (and more IMHO), except he can also pass a ball more than a yard without it going astray on top of that...

I''d drop Holt too- he''s going to get a red card for one of his idiotic headless chicken performances very soon. Give Beccio a chance, Lambert doesn''t know how to neutralise him as well as he does Holt either.