Sign in to follow this  
KeelansGlove

Team for Saturday

We all pray that Bassong is fit for Saturday. With both him and Turner out its almost unthinkable.

My team would be as follows.

We know Villa can attack just as we know they are not great at defending. we need to be resolute at the back and get the ball into there box at every opportunity.

I would bring back Ruddy not because Bunn has done anything wrong but his size could be vital up against Benteke.

Ruddy

Martin Bennett Bassong Whittaker

Tettey Johnson

Snoddgrass                      Pilkington

Holt          Kamara

with Becchio E Bennett and Wes all waiting on the bench should they be needed.

If Bassong is missing I would bring back Garrido and bring Martin inside but I would think we would need a miracle to get anything. 

We have to assume Turner is out. Sticking with Bassong because he''s always limping anyway! We can''t stick with Ryan Bennett because he was uneasy against Stoke, and played hoofball with them, which they love.

Bunn

Whittaker Martin Basssong Garrido

Tettey Johnson

Snoddy Pilkington

Hoolahan

Holt

I can''t take anymore of Kamara. Use him as an impact sub if needs be. And also if either Snoddy or Pilkington are ineffective then bring Bennett in.

We have to revert to what worked for us so well earlier in the season including when we largely outplayed Villa at Villa Park. We''ve moved away from what served us so well and have not really had a settled team shape or pattern of play for the last 2 months.

For me its therefore back to 4-2-3-1, drop Howson and bring back Pilks and Wes/Benno to play behind Holt with Snoddy on the other flank.

We do not keep possession well enough in a 4-4-2 or this weird 4-3-3 he''s been playing.

Back to basics, 1 off game - lets do these ****!

Ruddy (Not because Bunn deserves to be dropped, but because Ruddy needs to play, and moral boost for defence and crowd)

Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Garrido (If Bassong isn''t fit, i''d not play Bennett, and go for Martin/Barnett CB partnership)

Bennett, Tettey, Johnson, Pilks

Holt, Becchio

Give Becchio a start, play two wingers with the aim of providing crosses for Bechhio and Holt. Drop Snodgrass for once after another display of pointless aimless useless deliveries. Happens far to often, he''s either inch perfect or way way off. Bennett has the ability to cross into dangerous areas giving players a chance. Tettey and Johnson to hold the midfield to allow more attacking intent down the wings. Plus Howson is pretty useless while he''s not getting forward at all. He''s decent passer, and chasing down players, but he excels when he bursts forward. And just isn''t doing that.

I think the most critical thing is solid defence against an all out attack minded team , ie 2 defensive midfielders and 2 up front against a team that defends like Norwich last season.

Idealistically;

Ruddy

Whittaker Bennett Seb Garrido

Tettey Johnson

Snoddy Hoolahoop Pilks

Kamara

I would play things differently and go with 3 central defenders (Martin in a sweeping role) to combat their 3 main attackers. This would also allow the full backs to push forward more and support the wingers, which has been despearately lacking in our game as they have had to focus more on defensive duties. I wouldn''t play Holt up front (1 goal in 16 and poor performance stats) and would stick with Kamara, with Wes playing off him.            Bunn or Ruddy (both can do the job)       Bennett   Martin   BassongWhittaker                            Garrido                     JohnsonSnodgrass                          Pilkington                     Hoolahan                     Kamara  

[quote user="Kanadyan Kanary"]I would play things differently and go with 3 central defenders (Martin in a sweeping role) to combat their 3 main attackers. This would also allow the full backs to push forward more and support the wingers, which has been despearately lacking in our game as they have had to focus more on defensive duties. I wouldn''t play Holt up front (1 goal in 16 and poor performance stats) and would stick with Kamara, with Wes playing off him.

Bunn or Ruddy (both can do the job)
       Bennett   Martin   Bassong
Whittaker                            Garrido
                     Johnson
Snodgrass                          Pilkington
                     Hoolahan
                     Kamara  

[/quote]

If playing 3-5-1-1 I would be a little more adventurous and use snodgrass and Bennett as the wing backs,   both have a fantastic work ethic,  tackle and get forward better.

Ruddy

Barnett   Martin   Bennett

Snodgrass                                   Bennett

Tettey

Johnson       Pilkington

Wessi

Kamara

Is now the time to try a new formation?

I was thinking along these lines to deal with the threat of Benteke, Weimann and Agbonlahor even if Bassong makes it, put big CB to go against Benteke either Bassong or Barnett alongside on right R Martin on left S Whittaker.  Two wing backs on right I would go with Elliott Bennet who can play defensively and go forward to support Snoddy on left Garrido or Pilks dependent on whether one or two strikers.  In the middle Johnson and Howson with Snodgrass and Pilks with Grant up top or if two up top KK and GH as joint strikers to pressurise suspect defence BJ, JH and RS.

Formation as follows

Bunn/Ruddy

Martin       Bassong/Barnett    Whittaker

E Bennett                                                                Garrido/Pilks

Johnson

Snodgrass                             Howson                         Pilks

Holt

Although defensive will allow City to attack Villa and get at their defence.  Wing Backs to counter Weimann and Agbonlahor.  CB''s can double up to deal with Benteke.  Without Turner and Bassong will lose out on height at back and at corners/free kicks.

May be happy with GH on his own after all City have been limited as an attacking force.   

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Kanadyan Kanary"]I would play things differently and go with 3 central defenders (Martin in a sweeping role) to combat their 3 main attackers. This would also allow the full backs to push forward more and support the wingers, which has been despearately lacking in our game as they have had to focus more on defensive duties. I wouldn''t play Holt up front (1 goal in 16 and poor performance stats) and would stick with Kamara, with Wes playing off him.

Bunn or Ruddy (both can do the job)
       Bennett   Martin   Bassong
Whittaker                            Garrido
                     Johnson
Snodgrass                          Pilkington
                     Hoolahan
                     Kamara  

[/quote]

If playing 3-5-1-1 I would be a little more adventurous and use snodgrass and Bennett as the wing backs,   both have a fantastic work ethic,  tackle and get forward better.

Ruddy

Barnett   Martin   Bennett

Snodgrass                                   Bennett

Tettey

Johnson       Pilkington

Wessi

Kamara

Is now the time to try a new formation?

[/quote]

Surely if you were to play that you''d have to play Howson where Johnson is or put Johnson at the base and Tettey on the right hand side but clearly Johnson on the left side would make the balance wrong.

Whilst I think Bennett would make a fantastic wing-back, I just don''t think Snoddy would do the same. He''s an out and out winger, we wouldn''t get the best out of him sitting that deep. Why not play Whittaker in that position, and then play Snoddy ahead of one of Tettey or Johnson?

Surely a game of this magnitude is not one to suddenly try 3 at the back, a formation that (as far as I can recall) has not worked at all for us when we''ve tried in in the last 2 seasons.

Got to be 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. My preference would be the former for this one but i think its important we have extra numbers in midfield as Villa will probably play 4-3-3.

4-2-3-1 would be a good formation to combat a 4-3-3 though.

And I think playing an attacking three across the middle will worry Villa as much as they worry us, especially if it is Snoddy Hoolahoop and Pilks across that three.

When looking at this tactical side of things, it''s such a shame we don''t have a goal scoring player in our side, we would be so much further up the table if we did. Hopefully RVW will make a huge impact next year

Can''t help thinking that in a strange way that makes us more defensive as the wing backs may end up spending more time defending and I don''t think Bennett is effective on the left.  I still see the wingers with a need to play high up the pitch but supported by the full backs so that we have more options to deliver crosses. With three at the back and Johnson playing at the base of a diamond, should provide sufficient cover for the full backs to push forward.   I think Garrido has a mean cross on him from the left but it is all a bit too rare. Whittaker can also deliver a ball but he is better on the right. The problem with my formation is that we still lack someone that can pass the ball freely from the back/middle of the park but we''ve been lacking that all season.

Bassong I fear, won''t be fit.

My 11 would be:

Ruddy

Whittaker R. Martin R. Bennett Garrido

Johnson Tettey

Snodgrass Pilkington

Becchio Holt

Jim Smith wrote the following post at 30/04/2013 11:58 AM:

Got to be 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2. My preference would be the former for

this one but i think its important we have extra numbers in midfield as

Villa will probably play 4-3-3.

.... because that formation has worked so well for us all season, particularly on the goal scoring front?   

Ruddy Whittaker     R. Martin    Bassong    Garrido                     Johnson       Howson      Snodgrass                                 Pilkington                     Holt              Kamara 

Hoolahan, Becchio, Bennet  the subs to go on if this doesnt work. Ruddy to lift the crowd

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Bassong I fear, won''t be fit.

My 11 would be:

Ruddy

Whittaker R. Martin R. Bennett Garrido

Johnson Tettey

Snodgrass Pilkington

Becchio Holt[/quote]Bassong will be fit.