Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Stop building Villa up to something they aren't!!

what worries me about saturday is that we''re the only side at the bottom playing against a side with something to play for?...if we dont win I wont be holding my breath for too many favours elsewhere....

WBA v Wigan

Sunderland v Stoke

West Ham v Newcastle

Big Sam will certainly want to put one over on Newcastle, and WBA are good at home, but Sunderland will have had a mad Paulo at them for the week so they''ll either play hopelessly again or really well. Hopefully the other results will be irrelevant as we celebrate...

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Which begs the question, where does this leave Sunderland?[/quote]I don''t know?  On a better run of form than us. Sunderland are in the shit.  Like everyone else they will be hoping Wigan balls up their matches and they can scrape a few more points.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]My point about PL and tactics, although poo-poo''d stands true: he did get things badly wrong at times (and we were certainly not safe when we played Blackburn![/quote]Agreed Lambert did not always get it right. We had 43 points with 3 games to play!  We were mathematically safe!  Safety was all but guaranteed when we beat Wolves at Carrow Road with 8 to play.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]No, Villa just won one game of football. It will mean nothing come Saturday. Nor will our performance at Stoke[/quote].
Never heard of momentum?

[/quote]

Yep - wasn''t that what Sunderland had when they went to AV last night?

[quote user="ABC"]

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]No, Villa just won one game of football. It will mean nothing come Saturday. Nor will our performance at Stoke[/quote].Never heard of momentum?

[/quote]

Yep - wasn''t that what Sunderland had when they went to AV last night?

[/quote]Another interesting point on "momentum".The last time a Paul Lambert side stuffed another team by more than 5? Norwich City 6 Scunthorp 0 in 2011Anyone remember what happened the next week when we went away to Swansea?I''ll give you a hint, the Paul Lambert team didn''t win.I''m not using this as evidence to say that I think we will win. I just want people to realise that 2 games of football are 2 discrete events. Vila putting 6 past Sunderland has no effect on this weekend.

...2 games of football are 2 discrete events ...

Absolutely.

Years ago I remember reading a Times economist saying he didn''t believe that, if 99 heads had been tossed in a row, then the chances of the coin coming up heads next time were still exactly 50%.

Football is obviously not purely a game of chance, but there are a myriad of factors influencing every moment of every game which can make it look that way ...

Villa have a player who has scored 18 league goals in a season, we have a front line who have not scored 18 goals all season in all comps!

Considering just where they are that''s impressive that they have a team full of players I wouldn''t mind at City, Delph, Wiemenn, Benteke and Lowton to name a few.

We are supporters and can build up Villa after last nights performance, I''m sure if they thump us like that on Saturday Hughton will build them up in his usual post match press report.

They are on thier day a very good side, just happens they have that one good game in 5 so lets hope we catch them on that other day.

On recent performances this will be a draw and just hope that as results have gone our way recently Wigan get thumped by WBA.

I agree with the poster above who says we have to draw a line and get behind the team on Saturday.

I am deeply unhappy that Hughton and his coaching staff have allowed us to be dragged into the relegation battle. I hold them fully responsible and am not sure i want them to continue next season even if we do stay up.

However we have to set this all aside. We have two games at homne and we need 2 or 3 points. Our home record (even recently) indicates we are more than capable of achieving this. If, however, our fans go into it with the attitude currently being displayed on several messageboards, then i fear it will hamper our chances as many seem to have written us off already.

Our fans are basically doing what many of us have complained that Hughton has done all season to our detriment which is bigging up the opposition and assuming we are inferior to them and cannot beat them. We need to shake off that attitude and for 2 games just back the team and make Carrow Road a really tough place for those visiting teams to play.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I agree with the poster above who says we have to draw a line and get behind the team on Saturday. I am deeply unhappy that Hughton and his coaching staff have allowed us to be dragged into the relegation battle. I hold them fully responsible and am not sure i want them to continue next season even if we do stay up. However we have to set this all aside. We have two games at homne and we need 2 or 3 points. Our home record (even recently) indicates we are more than capable of achieving this. If, however, our fans go into it with the attitude currently being displayed on several messageboards, then i fear it will hamper our chances as many seem to have written us off already. Our fans are basically doing what many of us have complained that Hughton has done all season to our detriment which is bigging up the opposition and assuming we are inferior to them and cannot beat them. We need to shake off that attitude and for 2 games just back the team and make Carrow Road a really tough place for those visiting teams to play.[/quote]

Why not do it then Jim. Or is it a case of I want to qualify my support with the proviso that I don''t really mean it....

FFS. All us fans have been through over the years is it too much to ask to get fully behind the club to help stay in the premier league.

Just watching the extened highlights of the match, and one thing that needs to be pointed out is just how awful the Sunderland keeper was for 4 of the goals; I mean real shocking keeping;The Vlar goal he had so much time to see the ball and just completely wrong footed himself, The first Bentteke goal came from a horrible deflected shot that the keeper then one hand punched straight to the head of Bentteke unmarked at the back post. Benttekes third (I think) the keeper was beaten at his near post from him running in at the angle, a keeper should never be conceding at the near post.And then the sixth with the player through one on one, the keeper went to ground so early it was easy for the villa player to just to cruise past him and slot it in. Now, dont get me wrong they are going to be feeling very confident and were the better team, but I think they were flattered by the scoreline, basic keeping could have seen it stay at 2-1. My hope is that we can be stronger at the back (better keeping too) but more importantly we can exploite the arrogance that I expect Villa will have, I imagine they will come to carrow road and fully expect to turn us over... it will be very open and they will really attack us. But its up to us to exploite this, use the space, counter them fast and hard and defend to the last man. We can beat anyone in this league on our day; Man U and Arsenal being the examples of good football and abit of luck coming together, we should show Villa and Lambert no respect.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I agree with the poster above who says we have to draw a line and get behind the team on Saturday. I am deeply unhappy that Hughton and his coaching staff have allowed us to be dragged into the relegation battle. I hold them fully responsible and am not sure i want them to continue next season even if we do stay up. However we have to set this all aside. We have two games at homne and we need 2 or 3 points. Our home record (even recently) indicates we are more than capable of achieving this. If, however, our fans go into it with the attitude currently being displayed on several messageboards, then i fear it will hamper our chances as many seem to have written us off already. Our fans are basically doing what many of us have complained that Hughton has done all season to our detriment which is bigging up the opposition and assuming we are inferior to them and cannot beat them. We need to shake off that attitude and for 2 games just back the team and make Carrow Road a really tough place for those visiting teams to play.[/quote]

Why not do it then Jim. Or is it a case of I want to qualify my support with the proviso that I don''t really mean it....

FFS. All us fans have been through over the years is it too much to ask to get fully behind the club to help stay in the premier league.

[/quote]

I''m referring to on Saturday Nutty and to the general attitude/atmosphere in the ground. I think we can and hope very much that we will. I will be fully behind Hughton and the team. That is not to say, however, that I don;t have significant reservations about his management style/tactics which i will continue to express on here in relevant threads.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Why don''t you read Jim''s post again and absorb what he says ? The points he makes are perfectly reasonable so why be so quick to criticise.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] I''m referring to on Saturday Nutty and to the general attitude/atmosphere in the ground. I think we can and hope very much that we will. I will be fully behind Hughton and the team. That is not to say, however, that I don;t have significant reservations about his management style/tactics which i will continue to express on here in relevant threads.[/quote]

Fair enough Jim. And that should be a given for all of us. But I do sometimes wonder. What do you think the general atmosphere and attitude in the ground will be if it''s 0-0 after half an hour. Or worse still if we go 1-0 down? These things worry me because I''ve seen it many times before. Should things start to go against us the fans could become a 12th man. But will they? The worrying thing for me is that many posters on here aren''t expecting us to win the game anyway.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] Why don''t you read Jim''s post again and absorb what he says ? The points he makes are perfectly reasonable so why be so quick to criticise.[/quote]

Why don''t you wind yer neck in and learn to use a computer....

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Lord Snooty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] Why don''t you read Jim''s post again and absorb what he says ? The points he makes are perfectly reasonable so why be so quick to criticise.[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha ha, good stuff Nutter. Reel ''em in. Just too easy.

[quote user="Lord Snooty"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Lord Snooty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] Ha ha, good stuff Nutter. Reel ''em in. Just too easy.[/quote]

Did you think Jim needed a nanny? There''s a few on here who probably need that sort of help but Jim usually manages ok on his own. Better luck next time [;)]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I agree with the poster above who says we have to draw a line and get behind the team on Saturday. I am deeply unhappy that Hughton and his coaching staff have allowed us to be dragged into the relegation battle. Out of interest, how have the management "allowed us to be dragged" into the relegation battle? I hold them fully responsible and am not sure i want them to continue next season even if we do stay up. Whilst I accept that the management is ultimately responsible, again, out of interest, how can you point all the blame onto the management and none onto the players - after all, the management set up an attacking squad for the last 3 games. How about some of the players shouldering some responsibility for not even having a shot on target? Remember, the bulk of the attacking options were inherited by CH - whilst PL did wonders for us whilst he was here, maybe his legacy of leaving us with a squad "not quite upto it" should also be remembered? However we have to set this all  aside. We have two games at homne and we need 2 or 3 points. Our home record (even recently) indicates we are more than capable of achieving this. If, however, our fans go into it with the attitude currently being displayed on several messageboards, then i fear it will hamper our chances as many seem to have written us off already. Our fans are basically doing what many of us have complained that Hughton has done all season to our detriment which is bigging up the opposition and assuming we are inferior to them and cannot beat them. I''m afraid that I don''t accept that - he has not done anything to our detriment on the opposition front - what he has done however, is act like a perfect gentleman and gives respect to all the opposition we come up against. We need to shake off that attitude and for 2 games just back the team and make Carrow Road a really tough place for those visiting teams to play.[/quote]

I believe that CH has acted in the best interests of NCFC in all his dealings with the media - can you imagine the vilification if he had done the opposite, and we didn''t win?. However, I am prepared to lay money that what he says behind closed doors to the squad, is significantly different to what he says to the media!

As a matter of interest, given the squad that we have, what do you think that any other PL manager would / could have done any better?

ABC - its all about opinions and if you think otherwise then fine but in my opinion its perfectly clear that Hughton believes that the majority of the teams in this league are better than us and it shines through in both his team selections and tactical approach to games. You may well believe that is the right approach and we are doing as well as we can. I believe he has the right approach against certain teams but the wrong approach against the teams in the bottom half of the table (especially away from home) against whom a more positive approach could and should have yielded more points and seen us safe by now.

That''s what i think he should have done better and I think had he done it then we would not be in the position we are in now and worrying as many of us are now. Again though that is just my opinion.

I would also query the statement that "the management set up an attacking squad for the last 3 games." They didn''t. maybe against Reading they did (if they couldn;t against reading who could we do it against) but in the two away games they certainly didn''t. In any event its also about more than just the formation.

Lets hope that on saturday both the team selection, formation and tactics are spot on and we get the win we need!

Wigan have 4 league games.Away to West BromHome to SwanseaAway to Man CityAway to ArsenalMy very generous estimate there is 4 points for them, which puts them on 36 points.Oh and they have a cup final to play too, so thats 5 games in 15 days.We may not even need to take any more points.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]ABC - its all about opinions and if you think otherwise then fine but in my opinion its perfectly clear that Hughton believes that the majority of the teams in this league are better than us and it shines through in both his team selections and tactical approach to games. You may well believe that is the right approach and we are doing as well as we can. I believe he has the right approach against certain teams but the wrong approach against the teams in the bottom half of the table (especially away from home) against whom a more positive approach could and should have yielded more points and seen us safe by now. That''s what i think he should have done better and I think had he done it then we would not be in the position we are in now and worrying as many of us are now. Again though that is just my opinion. I would also query the statement that "the management set up an attacking squad for the last 3 games." They didn''t. maybe against Reading they did (if they couldn;t against reading who could we do it against) but in the two away games they certainly didn''t. In any event its also about more than just the formation. Lets hope that on saturday both the team selection, formation and tactics are spot on and we get the win we need![/quote]

The majority of teams in this league ARE better than us, that''s why we are in the bottom half of the table.

Aston Villa are not one of the majority.

[quote user="morty"]Wigan have 4 league games.Away to West BromHome to SwanseaAway to Man CityAway to ArsenalMy very generous estimate there is 4 points for them, which puts them on 36 points.Oh and they have a cup final to play too, so thats 5 games in 15 days.We may not even need to take any more points.[/quote]You have included the cup final in there:Away to West BromHome to SwanseaAway to ArsenalHome to Aston Villa

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="morty"]Wigan have 4 league games.Away to West BromHome to SwanseaAway to Man CityAway to ArsenalMy very generous estimate there is 4 points for them, which puts them on 36 points.Oh and they have a cup final to play too, so thats 5 games in 15 days.We may not even need to take any more points.[/quote]You have included the cup final in there:Away to West BromHome to SwanseaAway to ArsenalHome to Aston Villa[/quote]My mistake.I still don''t see more than 4 points there for them, as obviously now Villa are the best team in the universe.

Villa are a better team than us and even when they were getting smashed up over Christmas i was still sure that they would finish above us. I think that will still happen.

We are heavily reliant on Wigan falling apart. If they lose at West Brom I''d say that means they are pretty much down. However, I can''t see Wigan just rolling over and giving up without a fight. I think they have more fight than us actually.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Villa are a better team than us and even when they were getting smashed up over Christmas i was still sure that they would finish above us. I think that will still happen. We are heavily reliant on Wigan falling apart. If they lose at West Brom I''d say that means they are pretty much down. However, I can''t see Wigan just rolling over and giving up without a fight. I think they have more fight than us actually.[/quote]

19 St Stephens Square, Norwich NR1 3SS

01603 611311 ‎ · samaritans.org

Villa have the potential to be a better team than us, but i don''t think they are yet. Of course, you would argue otherwise in the same way you''ve consistently said we''ll lose pretty much every game and that''s not happened, unfortunately for you.

I''m really glad this forum isn''t representative of Norwich fans as a whole or we might as well accept relegation now. Thankfully we have some real, decent fans who attend games and get behind the boys. Not a load of crying idiots.

lets have it right, right now Villa do look a better prospect than us, they have goals and pace in the side and now have the momentum imo. Hughton is far too defensive not calling for his head or nout, but sometimes you do have to have a go, the stats from Stoke saturday were pathetic in a game we could have won with a bit more belief. i said before yesterday that i think Villa will have too much for us Saturday but really hope i am wrong.

[quote user="ricky knight"]lets have it right, right now Villa do look a better prospect than us, they have goals and pace in the side and now have the momentum imo. Hughton is far too defensive not calling for his head or nout, but sometimes you do have to have a go, the stats from Stoke saturday were pathetic in a game we could have won with a bit more belief. i said before yesterday that i think Villa will have too much for us Saturday but really hope i am wrong.[/quote]Even Alex Ferguson frets about going away to Stoke FFS.Yes it was a shit performance, but not truly representative of our current form, and certainly not representative of our HOME form.