Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Stop building Villa up to something they aren't!!

I am astonished about the attitude of some people on here, reading some of the comments it is as though there is no question that Villa will win on Saturday, and we might as well not turn up. You''d have thought we were going to play Barca the way they are carrying on, but the fact is they are BELOW us in the league. They are there for a reason. They might be showing some form tonight but they are inconsistent and as likely to follow that up with a defeat as a win.

For those espousing PL''s tactical genius, do you not remember the shambles that we were against the likes of Blackburn last season? He gets it wrong plenty often, and in key games too.

Come Saturday we are at home, with a good home record. There is no reason to go into it with a negative mindset as supporters, but the attitude of some ''supporters'' is so negative that I dread to think what it will be like if things start to go against us, at a time when support is what is needed.

The negativity is due to playing lots of teams below us (Wigan/stoke recently) and not having the ability to take the game to them. What makes villa any different? A new manager? We can only hope.

It''s not a question of building them up. They have just slaughtered a team with a bit of current form by 6 goals to 1. At this moment in time, we do not have the Manager, the tactics, the formation or the players to beat anyone by 6 goals to 1Witness the lame & pathetic performance on Saturday at Stoke who, like Villa, are not exacatly Barca either.

Villa have just scored six goals in one game - Norwich have scored six goals in eight games (5 of which were against struggling teams).

Weimann and Long have both scored as many goals this season as Norwich''s entire forward line, Benteke and Lukaku have both scored more than double the number of goals than Norwich''s four forwards.

There is every chance that Turner will be missing, an outside chance that Bassong won''t be playing either.

Villa played tonight with purpose, verve, desire, pace and skill, regardless of the standard of the opposition - none of which have been prevalent in Norwich City''s performances since Christmas.

Previous home form counts for zilch, nadir, sweet FA from here on in.

Saturday is as much about the motivation skills of each management team as it is about the players on the pitch.

On current evidence, Norwich City supporters have every right to show concern. Wigan''s implosion is still looking the likely route for Norwich''s salvation.

The only bright note from tonight''s result was the sending off of Sessegnon....but then the loss of Fletcher has barely stunted Sunderland''s until tonight......

No, Villa just won one game of football. It will mean nothing come Saturday. Nor will our performance at Stoke.

If you really expect us to not turn up, and lose, perhaps you should think about not going. IMO we don''t need people who haven''t the heart for it.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

For those espousing PL''s tactical genius, do you not remember the shambles that we were against the likes of Blackburn last season? He gets it wrong plenty often, and in key games too.[/quote]Was that the game against Blackburn fighting for their lives while we were on the beach having secured our Premiership survival.  If so, yes I do remember it, we had far more chances than we did against Stoke on Saturday.  In fact we had 12 shots 5 on target.  Seems we put up far more of a fight than during the meaningful game just a few days ago where we created one Kei header over the bar in 40 minutes after going a goal behind.  Championship players like Vaughan, Wilbrahim, Howson, Ward and Drury were in Lambert''s end of season lineup.

Branston Pickle wrote the following post at 2013-04-30 2:11 AM:

Jim, perhaps you don''t realise we are at home this weekend. Wigan and Stoke were away. There is a hell of a difference.

Yes and we were at home against QPR, West Ham, Fulham and Southampton and we did really well didn''t we. That''s not bring negative, we couldn''t beat these sides, had we, we would not be worrying now, we lost at home to Villa already this season, and suffered the Luton debacle. So there is not a hell of a difference at all.

[quote user="unique"]Villa have just scored six goals in one game - Norwich have scored six goals in eight games (5 of which were against struggling teams).

Weimann and Long have both scored as many goals this season as Norwich''s entire forward line, Benteke and Lukaku have both scored more than double the number of goals than Norwich''s four forwards.

There is every chance that Turner will be missing, an outside chance that Bassong won''t be playing either.

Villa played tonight with purpose, verve, desire, pace and skill, regardless of the standard of the opposition - none of which have been prevalent in Norwich City''s performances since Christmas.

Previous home form counts for zilch, nadir, sweet FA from here on in.

Saturday is as much about the motivation skills of each management team as it is about the players on the pitch.

On current evidence, Norwich City supporters have every right to show concern. Wigan''s implosion is still looking the likely route for Norwich''s salvation.

The only bright note from tonight''s result was the sending off of Sessegnon....but then the loss of Fletcher has barely stunted Sunderland''s until tonight......[/quote]Before today Villa had scored 16 goals at home all season, that is worse than us by the way, this suggests that this was blatantly a one off result for Villa against a very poor Sunderland team. On top of that they are still below us in the table so that shows we have been doing something right. And WHEN we stay up it won''t have anything to do with Wigans implosion, it would have more to do with us earning enough points throughout the season to stay up, obviously. I predict we will finish above all the teams currently below us and our home form has been immense this year and will keep us up.

If Wigan lose at West brom and we can get even a draw against Villa we will be 7 points ahead of then with 3 to play . That will be enough Wigan won''t win the last 3 or even 2 .

Great post unique, fair, balanced and backed up with statistical fact. Doesn''t make for pretty reading, mind.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]No, Villa just won one game of football. It will mean nothing come Saturday. Nor will our performance at Stoke[/quote].Never heard of momentum?

Yes City 2nd, but Villa are absolutely brilliant aren''t they?

Therefore our home results against Arsenal and Man Utd are much more relevant yes?

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]our home results against Arsenal and Man Utd are much more relevant yes?[/quote]No. They were yonks ago & when we were playing well & have absolutely no relevance to Saturday or the other 2 games

Ok. If none of that works for the doubters, how about the fact that we have a decent defence and Sunderland were woeful tonight? The City youth team defended better.

[quote user="City 2nd"]Branston Pickle wrote the following post at 2013-04-30 2:11 AM:

Jim, perhaps you don''t realise we are at home this weekend. Wigan and Stoke were away. There is a hell of a difference.

Yes and we were at home against QPR, West Ham, Fulham and Southampton and we did really well didn''t we. That''s not bring negative, we couldn''t beat these sides, had we, we would not be worrying now, we lost at home to Villa already this season, and suffered the Luton debacle. So there is not a hell of a difference at all.[/quote]Sorry but why the hell do we have a divine right to be beating teams like Fulham and Southampton at home? This attitude really annoys me, Southampton have a £20m plus strike force which is probably more than what we have spent on the majority of our team. Luton game means nothing, you failed to mention we reached the latter stages of the cup for the first time in about 20 years? And please explain to me the relevance of our home defeat to Villa? how many of those players will be playing that game? Why again did you fail to mention how we played them off the park at VP and if it wasn''t for poor refereeing we would have won.....

Statistical fact can show whatever the hell you want it to: villa have now scored the grand total of 22 goals at home this season, so for your six in one game i give you 16 in their previous 17!

Throwing drawn games in - perhaps a mention of Man U, Arsenal, Everton all who we beat at home could counter.

My point is that none of it is particularly relevant.

Come Saturday I just hope we as supporters are going to the game with a positive mindset, to create a good atmosphere, as that is what we need - but it sure a hell doesn''t feel right now that it is what we''ll get.

[quote user="Dusk1983"]Great post unique, fair, balanced and backed up with statistical fact. Doesn''t make for pretty reading, mind.[/quote]Statisical fact - Villa are below us in the able after 35 games...

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Ok. If none of that works for the doubters, how about the fact that we have a decent defence and Sunderland were woeful tonight? The City youth team defended better.[/quote]OK, I am not a doubter and am 100% certain we will stay up.  But. 1) Our defense is not as great as everyone thinks, we still concede a lot of goals.2) A disproportionate number of those goals were conceded when Bassong or Turner were not playing.  Neither will start Saturday.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]I am astonished about the attitude of some people on here, reading some of the comments it is as though there is no question that Villa will win on Saturday, and we might as well not turn up. You''d have thought we were going to play Barca the way they are carrying on, but the fact is they are BELOW us in the league. They are there for a reason. They might be showing some form tonight but they are inconsistent and as likely to follow that up with a defeat as a win.

For those espousing PL''s tactical genius, do you not remember the shambles that we were against the likes of Blackburn last season? He gets it wrong plenty often, and in key games too.

Come Saturday we are at home, with a good home record. There is no reason to go into it with a negative mindset as supporters, but the attitude of some ''supporters'' is so negative that I dread to think what it will be like if things start to go against us, at a time when support is what is needed.[/quote]

Very well said BP!!

Thanks Cambridge I will hold on to that thought. I just wish I had half the illogical optimism of the anti pant wetters :-) You now the sort of thing ''Villa are not as good as us - Lambert is doing a poor job'' Fantastic stuff

I just simply cannot see why people are so insistent that we will lose. I personally think it''ll be a draw, but whatever I absolutely do not expect us to be blown away as some suggest.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Thanks Cambridge I will hold on to that thought. I just wish I had half the illogical optimism of the anti pant wetters :-) You now the sort of thing ''Villa are not as good as us - Lambert is doing a poor job'' Fantastic stuff[/quote]And we don''t understand why the pantwetters are so convinced a team below us in the table is clearly so much better than us, because if they were, surely they''d be above us......

"Statistical fact - Villa are below us in the table after 35 games.."

Unbiased observation based on evidence over the last two months - Villa could play Norwich off the park on Saturday...the reverse extremely unlikely.

If Benteke and Holt both got two goalscoring chances apiece on Saturday and you had to put your house on the likely outcome of those chances, who exactly would you back to score?

[quote user="Branston Pickle"] There is no reason to go into it with a negative mindset as supporters,

but the attitude of some ''supporters'' is so negative that I dread to

think what it will be like if things start to go against us, at a time

when support is what is needed.[/quote]You know what Branston, we have gone from a club which looked positively at every game, thinking we could get something before every match, to one where the first match anyone really thought we would win in the last 4 months was home to the bottom club.  It''s funny how positivity or negativity can filter down from the top echelons of a football club through the players to the supporters.  The word negative sums up this season pretty well.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Ok. If none of that works for the doubters, how about the fact that we have a decent defence and Sunderland were woeful tonight? The City youth team defended better.[/quote]OK, I am not a doubter and am 100% certain we will stay up.  But. 1) Our defense is not as great as everyone thinks, we still concede a lot of goals.2) A disproportionate number of those goals were conceded when Bassong or Turner were not playing.  Neither will start Saturday.[/quote]

Ok. I believe we will stay up too. There are credible scenarios where we lose the last three games and still finish 16th.

We don''t know whether either or both will start. Our defence is a lot better than what we saw tonight. We would have easily beaten Sunderland tonight. Hell, QPR would have beaten them tonight.

Which begs the question, where does this leave Sunderland?

I felt really worried after villa''s result tonight, momentum means a lot and there tails are up !! , attacking football , our recent negative play and results. doesn''t install a great deal of confidence does it?? !!! Then theres that damn spectre of lambert that still burns disappointment .. still feel betrayed by him but miss his of attacking football . I think we all want to banish the memory and move on but our poor negative football at times just keeps his memory going!! . However its made me realise if we want to get where we want to its time for all the moaning and negativity to stop all city fans get some balls man up and let''s support the boys to the hilt .. 2 cup finals coming up .. Lets bloody get behind the team and get them over the edge .. I want to see us beat villa and our support needs to be massive lets help make it happen sat !!! I travel from warrington to norwich for every home game .. And no not a happy clappy...or deluded am not happy with a lot this season But drawing a line under all that''s happened before. Sat a cup final we can make a damn difference!!! Lets make it a great day otbc :)

Unique, You are suggesting that Holt will get 2 goal scoring opportunities in the game, which is a good start! :-)

Of course Benteke would be more likely to score with clear opportunities, but the point is we have snuffed out the likes of van Persie this season so there is hope.

The response question would be - set pieces: if each got 2 decent set piece plays, who would be more likely to score?(the answer is us - Villa''s defence has been poor and let in 38 on the road - more than us, which takes some doing!)

By far the most likely scenario is that neither will play each other off the park, it is likely to be tight. My point about PL and tactics, although poo-poo''d stands true: he did get things badly wrong at times (and we were certainly not safe when we played Blackburn!),. Hopefully he will on Saturday, as a helping hand would be welcome.

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]Marc Tierney played ffs![/quote]Mad Marc''s stats from last season are almost identikit to Garrido.  Garrido the better passer, Tierney more tackles, the rest the same.  Make from that what you will.What we did while drawing against ten men 30 games ago hasn''t got much bearing to now.  We somehow went 10 games unbeaten back then.  But agreed, our home record is pretty good so we have nothing to fear from this game.