Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Chris Hughton out, yes or no?

Exactly Tynemouth,

There was a time when the fans of a Club like ours might give a manager more than one season to actually build a squad of his own, to the point that he can be judged on its success or failure. Hughton hasn''t even had that opportunity yet but some people want him out, even though we''ve been clear of the bottom 3 almost all season. It would be costly, it wouldn''t guarantee an improvement and it baffles me.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]I don''t really agree with that either Chunky.

We will have to some extent ''muddled through'' this season to a stage in the Club''s development where we are debt free and with a new TV deal that will give us the chance to sign 5 or 6 quality players, not just RVW.

You can bet that most of those will be attacking players and if we can bolt quality onto the existing back 4, keeper and holding midfielder I think the prospects for next year look very good.[/quote]If we dont sign Garrido, we need to sign 2 left backs. We need to buy a Centre back as cover, prob Curtis Davies. Thats 3 defenders. It''ll prob amount to 50% of our summer signings, if you go by what RVW said "Centre midfielder and winger".To be honest i think we need a creative midfielder and ball playing defensive midfielder.Someone that can mix it. Like Nzonzi. We need a wide man or 2 and a couple of forwards.Its gonna be an interesting summer!

The questions the board will have to ask itself are: (1) if we''re in the PL is Hughton the man to achieve 17th place (I assume this represents the limit of our ambition for next season) (2) if we''re in the Championship is Hughton best placed to get us at least into the play-offs. I hope the board seriously consider change.

I don''t think 17th is our ambition at all.

I think we are giving the manager to build a side that genuinely has enough quality to compete at this level. The time to judge Hughton is once we do have 3 or 4 £5m plus players on board and a squad made up mainly of players that he has signed.

No, complete madness to get rid of him. If he keeps us up and sends villa hurtling towards the trapdoor he deserves to be carried aloft around the inner ring road.

Absolutely not.

Give the guy longer than one season to build something here. Sacking him after one season when he was asked to simply avoid relegation is somewhat of a knee jerk reaction. Yes ok he plays much more defensively than Lambert used to, but that''s because he was a defender in his day and has been taught as such. Lambert was much more attacking and gung-ho at times, and we had 3 seasons to get used to that.

Defensively this season we have been much more solid, losing only by the one goal in the most part when we have and we''ve drawn a lot of games, which shows we were in them. Only a little bit more attacking know how and a little more quality and we would of won more. That sort of thing is what Hughton can introduce next season.

As a previous poster rightly said, he''s made some cracking signings too!

So no, keep the guy in charge and give him another season in my opinion.

I was gutted in June that we didnt get Poyet. He was the "natural" successor to PL. Just like Laudrup was to Rodgers. Clark to Hodgson. We seemed to employ someone completely opposite to the last man.Whatever happened to continuity......

[quote user="SYG"]I''ve read very contrasting opinions on his future this afternoon, so let''s see who actually wants him to stay or go.

I think he should stay, hopefully come the summer he will be given a decent amount of money to improve our squad...[/quote]

I agree. Hughton stays and see what the transfer window brings.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]I don''t really agree with that either Chunky.

We will have to some extent ''muddled through'' this season to a stage in the Club''s development where we are debt free and with a new TV deal that will give us the chance to sign 5 or 6 quality players, not just RVW.

You can bet that most of those will be attacking players and if we can bolt quality onto the existing back 4, keeper and holding midfielder I think the prospects for next year look very good.[/quote]I really hope you''re right, buddy [Y]

I think Im just as frustrated as anyone, its been that sort of season and its largely the lack of consitancy that has led to this. We were all singing his praises at Game 10 of our unbeaten run before Christmas, cheerfully waving goodbye to Lamberts ''unsustainable'' ''reckless'' and ''too open'' style. Funny how that can change. Yet our home form has still been strong and we havent lost at home since the start of the new year, we have become a tough team to play against and Id imagine we now have a reputation of being a tough place to go and expect to win the game. Would sacking him do us any good? Look at names who are free, or who we could tempt. It aint a great list, and frankly it would be a vastly larger gamble than sticking with him for a second season. We already have an indication in RVW that its been identified that we are lacking in fire power, 6 0-0 this season... win 3 of those and we would be comfortable, win 5 of those (and it only needs to be 1-0) and we would be in and around Livepool, hypothetical, but still interesting to think where we could be when we have shut teams out and had been a little more ruthless in front of the goal.If we stay up it will be mission complete, though I think that next season the mission plan will become improve on this seasons position as much as it is about staying up. For that reason i think Mcnally will be much less patient if we go on a run of poor form. Lets see what happens over the summer, we need to upgrade our players and I have faith our football and tactics will improve with the flexability of quality.

back to the OP original question..........I don''t doubt that he will be given money to/and will improve the squad ,personnel wise, the doubt I have is that he will coach them in any different way and style that he is currently doing?

RVW is all very well but he wouldnt have had a chance today given how the side was set up around and behind him.

So all these riddle me this riddle me that answers!! If we do this and if we do that!! In the summer / next season!! Does anybody seriously think we should sack Hughton tonight?

I don''t.

It''s a tricky one because although his only job is to keep us up (which he most likely will do) there''s no doubt that we are really struggling at the moment and he is showing little or no signs of being able to stop it.

I''d be very, very surprised if it''s a happy camp at the moment. Would the players be particularly gutted if Hughton got the sack tonight or at the end of the season? I suspect a lot of them wouldn''t be fussed and some would probably be quite happy.

I agree to some extent with the argument that to keep chopping and changing managers is not a good idea. Also there are really no good likely replacements available. However I am sure in my own mind that Hughton and his coaching staff are not going to take us anywhere. This season there has not been one player who has improved and the team is now devoid of any confidence. The quality of the football being played is very poor - the shots on goal statistics say it all. Today was typical of all season in that we never looked like getting any grip on midfield and really showed little skill on any part of the pitch. We defended deep and continually hoofed the ball out only for it to be immediatedly controlled by the opposition who frankly were fairly grim themselves.

Bearing in mind we are obviously likely to spend and waste a considerable amount of money in the forthcoming transfer market, then we should bite the bullett and entrust this to a new manager. There is a school of thought that we should give Hughton 10 matches next season to sort us out. This is simply sitting on the fence as clearly many supporters do not rate him and it will be back to the old story that a new manager would not want the players he purchased. I am just not convinced that Hughton has deliberately been defensive to hang on to our place in the Premiership and will be much better next year. RVW will need a complete change in tactics for him to be effective and I just do not see this happening.

It will be fascinating to see how he copes with Villa''s attacking approach coupled with their very weak and inexperienced defence. I sincerely hope we win but I fear Lambo will outwit him. However we finish the season I do not see Hughton and his coaching staff as being good enough for our long term future.

6 points clear of delegation. 3 games to go. £10m striker coming in. Hard to beat. Effort consistently on show. £100m pending for survival. 1 year in the job. Survival considered success (and unlikely) pre-season. High purchase success. No debt. In my 30+ years as a supporter these are truly desperate times.....

No brainer for me I am afraid. It''s out all the way. Talk of limited squda etc is rubbish. 12th last season, better squad now and we are struggling to stay up. We are approaching games like some non league minnows and hardly competing credibly with dire football. we do have a squad capable of mid table respectability and since the pre season friendlies the alarm bells have been ringing pretty steadily. I see us going backwards right now from a solid inheritance from the previous manager. Struggled to beat Reading, beaten by Stoke with nary an effort on goal, collapse rather than courage after a dodgy decision at Arsenal, beaten by Wigan and conceding possession at home to a struggling Southampton. It isn''t rocket science to see a certain consistency here...............

"Norwich or die tryin!"

"Herman "Six managers and only Poyet credible.

McCarthy and Adkins??

Whats not credible about Malky Mackay, Dougie Freedman and Eddie Howe?

Malky is good but I don''t want a hero back in charge. That hasn''t gone well lately.

The other two are good in their relative leagues but I don''t think they will reach greater heights. But that''s my opinion. Could be wrong.

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]6 points clear of delegation. 3 games to go. £10m striker coming in. Hard to beat. Effort consistently on show. £100m pending for survival. 1 year in the job. Survival considered success (and unlikely) pre-season. High purchase success. No debt. In my 30+ years as a supporter these are truly desperate times.....[/quote]

Well said.

[quote user="vos"]This season there has not been one player who has improved [/quote]Not sure this particular point is fair. Ruddy had improved a hell of a lot with our new gk coach before his injury, Turner looks a completely different player now compared to his first few games and Johnson has improved too imo.Certainly many of our attacking players have gone backwards though.

We aren''t playing with any freedom. That''s always a big worry.

[quote user="alartz"]2wins in 18. Managers have been sacked for much less

OUT!!! And take the garbage that came with him.

Di matteo In!![/quote]

The "garbage" like Bassong? Whittaker? Turner? Snodgrass? Tettey?

Hughton IN.

Better teams than us have gone to stoke and lost. We still have survival in our own hands.

[quote user="GJP"]

It''s a tricky one because although his only job is to keep us up (which he most likely will do) there''s no doubt that we are really struggling at the moment and he is showing little or no signs of being able to stop it.

I''d be very, very surprised if it''s a happy camp at the moment. Would the players be particularly gutted if Hughton got the sack tonight or at the end of the season? I suspect a lot of them wouldn''t be fussed and some would probably be quite happy.

[/quote]

Ok. So with three games to go who do we put in charge? Calderwood? Trollope? Neil Adams? McNally? Delia? A dream team of Gunn, Deehan and Crook? Some out of work manager like Warnock? Has Peter Reid got a club?