Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Chris Hughton out, yes or no?

To clarify: my feeling is out at the end of the season- I don''t see any point in changing now but I don''t see him taking us forward in the years to come.I do agree with those asking for consistency and continuity in theory just not in this case... it is the one reason I could get behind for him staying.I absolutely cannot see the point in keeping him under the proviso that things are better after 5/6 games of next season- if the board are questioning him now either get rid at the end of May or don''t think about it again until the end of November... that may just be me though and I''d like to see transfer windows for managerial changes too, the 6 weeks running up to each transfer window for example.

I do think the board will keep Hughton in charge no matter what any of us think however.

Mister Chops "No, he should stay. If in October we are still playing this way then out."

Unequivocally this.

OUTA manager who consistantley puts out a dis-jointed team, and favours defence over attack all the time, how on earth are you going to beat anyone if you dont attack them ?You play a right-back at left back, and leave a perfectley good left back on the bench.You persist with a very poor midfielder in Howson, and leave the creativety of Hoolahan on the bench.You play an impact substitute on the right wing, and the two right wingers we do have, one is asked to play on the left wing, and the other is on the bench.You have a right winger playing on the left wing, and you bring on one of the best attacking options, in our natural left winger with just five minutes left to play, in a game against a side next to us in the league, that we are desperate to get something out of.Baffling team selections.Houghton will almost certainley be out witted by Lambert on Saturday, so that leaves the West Brom game to save our Premier League status, because we wont get anything but a big dent in our goal difference at Man City, and if Houghton stays and persists with these tactics we will end up where this great journey began, 4 years ago, in division one.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]The important question should be "Who would we replace him with if we did sack him?".There''s a lot of very average managers out there, as well as many who will simply want to spend, spend, spend and to hell with finances etc.Before CH was appointed I came up with a list of potential managers from across Europe who I thought would be good choices, might have to have a look again to see if they''re still viable and possible options if we really want to debate the matter.For me, CH has done the job he was asked to do (assuming we do stay up), but the manner in which it will have been achieved has been awful at times (rare highlights like Man Utd/Arsenal aside).I personally think it takes him far too long to change things when they aren''t working, and he''s taken the spark out of some of our most exciting/performing players in the process, on that basis alone I''d support a change - as long as there is a suitable replacement lined up who''ll bring the style of football we want to see back to CR...[/quote]This!It''s not that we lost today that bothers me. It''s that the team looked woefully unprepared and inept.I''m 50/50, but if a replacement was being sought, I''d like to see Roberto Di Matteo.

There are good managers out there, and I would also back suggestions towards Poyet (assuming Brighton don''t come up), but back before we appointed CH I wanted us to look into Europe for our new manager, and whilst Favre is probably an even longer shot than it was then, Guidolin could still be tempted over from Udinese if you ask me.There are others as well, who''ve done good jobs playing the right kind of football, but this stodgy, defensive football has to end NOW.

If we drop he should be out straight away if not he should be given the first 8 or so games to see how things go if not then ... I must be honest I have never felt confident with him at the helm as I did Lambert, I feel Hughton has made Norwich City a soft team again.

Norwich cannot afford to sack Chris Hughton mid-season. Waiting until ten games into next season is suicide.If City are going to make a change, do it at the close of this season and give his replacement a pre-season to build his own team.  If not, back Hughton in the summer transfer market, stick with him and hope the new players can do the job required. Should we stay up, I believe this is what will happen.Personally, I think there are better managers out there, in the exact same way there are better players out there.

Stay up, go down, whatever the outcome, if a change is made this should be made immediately after the City game to give the new team as much of the pre-season as possible.

OUT

he toolk a half decent squad on a high from the last three seasons and has managed to make us go backwards stifling the likes of howson who last season showed us his attacking ability but had now been made to hold the ball up and defend, a midfield that can''t pass or give the service to our strikers and on top of all that make us a "defensive" side and concede more goals and get a hammering from more teams than last season.

His tactical ability is non existent with no plan b, and not using substations to help the lads push on.

I realise this board has about a 50/50 split by the looks of things for Hughton to go, but I think some people are just so in love with this team that they can''t bring themselves to realise how Shocking we really have been this season, I haven''t missed a game this season and I haven''t enjoyed any of it which is a massive shame as I too love this football club and don''t want to see it slip down and decay again

The 10 game run was brilliant, but the season is 38 games long and for the last 18 we''ve been awful. The thing that frustrates me is that despite being on this awful run, a couple of games aside, his approach hasn''t changed, particularly away from home.

"Keep it tight in the first half and then try to get something on the break when the game opens up in the 2nd half" has worked precisely zero times, yet that''s the approach we go into every away game with, the only time we haven''t done that was at Swansea and we scored 4. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of madness.

It''s been a similar story at home in the 2nd half of the season, the players look like they are playing with fear, it''s all so restricted and there''s no fluidity at all. It''s all too predictable and too easy to nullify. Out attack has become inert from open play.

His summer signings were excellent and there''s no doubt that the squad is stronger than it was 12 months ago, however that makes our form in the 2nd half of the season all the more frustrating. We''ve surrendered a fantastic position, we should have been safe weeks and weeks ago and we''ve only got ourselves to blame for our current situation.

If we go down then it''s an out from me, if we hang on then I''d give him the summer to build a squad he''s happy with and if we''re still approaching games in the same manner after 8 games next season then I''d remove him.

Agree with CUSDP, in hindsight Poyet was probably the natural successor to Lambert, if he doesn''t get Brighton up in the play-offs then he''d be my choice to replace Hughton if things don''t improve.

Have there actually been any murmurings from the board yet ? If not why not, now would be the time for a statement otherwise we must assume that Hughton''s days are numbered. For me he should be allowed to go as he does not seem to be the right man for us.

Can you imagine the end of next season, Scum taking our place in the Prem, it does not bear thinking about.

No, Chris Hughton is a good manager, that is proven and whether we go down or not I think he should stay but next season if still in the PL we need consistency and a good start failure to achieve this and I would consider replacing him then. Similarly if we drop to the Championship then I would require a minimum of the play offs achieved.

He is on the brink of keeping us up which would have been his target this season. I say re evaluate half way through next season. Hopefully we will be playing a little different style football and further up the table.

keep him.

people forget every club is aiming to improve, every club around us aims for that mid table finish etc etc... so some will always miss out.. norwich were league 1, its not a certain we will improve every year, because that means its a certain the other clubs will not improve... if that makes sense!

be happy with where we are .. for now!

I''ll come back to this thread either at the end of this season or five-ten games into next.

Chris Hughton has had the thick end of a year to prove himself. That''s two transfer windows worth. The optimism of a year ago has disappeared . Last year we feared losing Paul Lambert, do you honestly fear losing Chris Hughton ?

Playing Devil''s Advocate Devils Advocate, do you really think Hughton got what he was asking for in that second window? McNally and/or the board has to bear some of the blame for our failure to get a quality striker which was obviously the Managers main desire.

quote user="Devil''s Advocate."]Chris Hughton has had the thick end of a year to prove himself. That''s two transfer windows worth. The optimism of a year ago has disappeared . Last year we feared losing Paul Lambert, do you honestly fear losing Chris Hughton ?[/quote

You are right that we feared losing PL, but now he''s long gone, I would wager the vast majority are wondering what the worrying was for.

If we stay up he should stay. He has fulfilled his primary objective, while signalling a desire to play more expansive football next season. He has to be trusted on that.If we go down he should be sacked, providing the board can identify someone who looks better. Poyet (always my first choice) if he could be prised away from Brighton.But if Hughton is sacked then McNally has to be as well. There have been two unnecessary relegations in my time. 1994-95 is the one always mentioned, but 1984-85 was more avoidable. A team with Woods, Bruce, Watson, Mendham, Channon and Hartford should never have gone down. But a lack of managerial drive saw us slip down the table. Sounds familiar?However a relegation this season would be the most avoidable of all. And if McNally is going to get the credit for everything that has gone well (even if it was the work of others) then he has to take the blame when it all goes belly up.That would apply even if he could not be held accountable for any specific mistake. But in this case he can - his failure in January to provide the serious (but affordable) squad strengthening (particularly up front) Hughton had plainly said was necessary.It would be quite unfair for Hughton to take all the blame when the CEO is also culpable. So either neither out, or both out.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]If we stay up he should stay. He has fulfilled his primary objective, while signalling a desire to play more expansive football next season. He has to be trusted on that.If we go down he should be sacked, providing the board can identify someone who looks better. Poyet (always my first choice) if he could be prised away from Brighton.But if Hughton is sacked then McNally has to be as well. There have been two unnecessary relegations in my time. 1994-95 is the one always mentioned, but 1984-85 was more avoidable. A team with Woods, Bruce, Watson, Mendham, Channon and Hartford should never have gone down. But a lack of managerial drive saw us slip down the table. Sounds familiar?However a relegation this season would be the most avoidable of all. And if McNally is going to get the credit for everything that has gone well (even if it was the work of others) then he has to take the blame when it all goes belly up.That would apply even if he could not be held accountable for any specific mistake. But in this case he can - his failure in January to provide the serious (but affordable) squad strengthening (particularly up front) Hughton had plainly said was necessary.It would be quite unfair for Hughton to take all the blame when the CEO is also culpable. So either neither out, or both out.[/quote]
Bloody hell PC, that''s the most ludicrous thing I''ve ever seen you post. So what you''re saying is let''s utterly take apart the club and all the good work at the expense of one manager that didn''t do well enough. McNally has earnt his place here far more than Hughton has and I don''t see how he would need to be sacked with Hughton. Please tell me that was satirical?

Agree with most of that Purple: 84-85 taught us that teams can fall apart very quickly; 94-95 was a more gradual decline. In my opionion, there are more parallels with the latter but, clearly, there are lessons to be learnt from both. I also agree that should we go down McN, for the reasons you advocate, should also be held accountable. Where I part company is that next season the team would be st up to play ''more expansive'' football. Agree with Poyet btw.

In the event we go down Purple I completely agree that McNally is culpable as well.

However McNally has had 3+ years of (mainly) successful decisions, Hughton has had one season. I honestly don''t know (although I admit I know little about the potential candidates) who we could get in to replace McNally, managerial change is a bit easier.

If we go down Hughton must go, McNally while culpable, I''m not sure we would be better off without?

Sorry Purple- I don''t see all of that. Hughton failed to get what he wanted in January despite being able to offer a club record fee. He kept chasing one man who he was clearly told was not for sale FOUR times. He had funds but no plan B.McNally must bare responsibity for Hughton being at the club but he has supported him the failings are the managers not the CEOs in this instance.That said I think McNally got a little more praise than he deserved over Lambert too.I also doubt that a striker in Jan would have made much difference, we are not creating many chances. RvW would have scored very few goals- and things will have to change a lot for him to get any next year as he is a poacher who relies heavily on service... a Lineker type in a way. He would not have made a diffrence to the points we have this season.