Sign in to follow this  
SYG

Chris Hughton out, yes or no?

As many have said, if we keep serving up he same dross in by end Oct then he should be sacked. I think we should seriously consider strengthening his coaching staff in the summer though.

Sadly, we can no longer trust Hughton as Manager. If we survive, and it''s a big if, then we can''t trust him for another season in the PL. Furthermore, I wouldn''t think he''s capable of getting us out of the Championship.

Stick with Hughton absolutely.

Just go back to the beginning of the season and remind yourself of all the doom and gloom about second season syndrome. It was always going to be tough. Get real

Hughton out? I know he looks rather nicely dressed when next to Tony Pullis but I wouldn''t say...Oh, Nope Hughton to stay. Thought he was the right man when we got him, and still think he''s the best bet we have now.I won''t lie and say this season has been easy on the nerves, or the style of football has been great for large parts of the season,or that our form isn''t a concern, but is this season worse than many of our previous premier league seasons or championship seasons? getting thrashed by teams like Port Vale? or capitulating at the end of many seasons when we really needed a performance? it''s like some people only remember the relegation season and the Lambert years.As others have said, If results are much the same next season then maybe I will change my mind. Until then we need to use all our Uri Geller powers to will that ball into the net.

Keep him.

Look how much money we''ve spent on our squad compared to the rest of the league (including Reading!). Arguably our best players, Holt/Hoolahan/Snodders/Pilko/Bennet/Johnson were all playing in League One a few seasons ago so expecting anything other than a grim struggle was always naive.

If we stay up he''s done a great job considering that the novelty and surprise factors of our successful previous season have been absent since he took command (and arguably even if the post Leicester matches under Lambert).

He deserves the chance to splash some serious cash and show us what he can really do.

Be careful what you wish for!

What is it with you lot?    Pining for Paul Lambert?   Would you rather go and support Newcastle?   Give the man a chance to do his job.   Next season was always going to be the time to judge the progress of  his  tenure.   Not in the first season where he started from scratch.  

You "outers", while you are entitled to have your opinions, should maybe try and see the bigger picture for a change.   None of us is enjoying the struggle at the moment, but it is not as bad as some of you are making out - and we are still on course to stay up.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

Keep him.

Look how much money we''ve spent on our squad compared to the rest of the league (including Reading!). Arguably our best players bar Bassong and Turner (who he signed!) - Holt/Hoolahan/Snodders/Pilko/Bennet/Johnson were all playing in League One a few seasons ago so expecting anything other than a grim struggle was always naive.

If we stay up he''s done a great job considering that the novelty and surprise factors of our successful previous season have been absent since he took command (and arguably even if the post Leicester matches under Lambert).

He deserves the chance to splash some serious cash and show us what he can really do.

[/quote]

[quote user="lake district canary"]What is it with you lot?    Pining for Paul Lambert?   Would you rather go and support Newcastle?   Give the man a chance to do his job.   Next season was always going to be the time to judge the progress of  his  tenure.   Not in the first season where he started from scratch.   [/quote]Have we seen any progress over the course of this season? I hope you''re right and next season will be different but so far there is very little evidence of improvement.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]No!!

If you get rid of a manager you''ve got to get somebody in who''s better. Nobody has yet made a sensible suggestion about who we could replace him with who would be an improvement.[/quote]Out.And to answer your question, we should have gone for Gus Poyet. Miles better.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

Keep him.

Look how much money we''ve spent on our squad compared to the rest of the league (including Reading!). Arguably our best players bar Bassong and Turner (who he signed!) - Holt/Hoolahan/Snodders/Pilko/Bennet/Johnson were all playing in League One a few seasons ago so expecting anything other than a grim struggle was always naive.

[/quote][/quote]But Holt/Hoolahan/Snodders/Pilko/Bennet/Johnson were decent last year and we played to players strengths. This year we are so rigid and have no fluidity. Th ewhole clean sheet thing is obvious. We play with 6 at the back and are more defensive.Hes also signed Camp Kamara Kane and Becchio. He had since June to get a fwd but in both windows hes done nothing and we ended up with Kane and Becchio.

No. Absolutely no point in losing a manager now - there can be inquests after the season ends if needs be, but I''d stick with him. Perhaps a major rethink is needed in away tactics, but we have already made our biggest ever signing ready for next season and we''d not have done that if we were about to lose our manager.

[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]I''m already worried about surviving next year in the Premiership...[/quote]

This will be par for the course every season. Some people find this difficult to accept but it''s true never the less.Chris Hughton will be staying and by keeping us up willl deserve to.

You can''t blame Hughton for not getting the strikers he wanted. There are multiple factors preventing a possible transfer. He has his faults but there are some things out of his control.

At the risk of riding my hobby-horse I will throw one factor into the argument. Hughton plainly believed the squad needed serious improvement in at least two areas in January, and attempts were made to do that. It is highly likely we bid for Curtis Davies, and it is a fact we made separate bids of £7m each for two players. Presumably Hooper and RVW. We got a back-up keeper and an MLS triallist and swapped one fringe striker for another.Without attributing blame the serious strengthening never happened, so Hughton has had to work for half a season with what he regarded as an inadequate squad.This is not to exonerate him. A better coach might well have produced better results - and more fighting spirit - with the same group of players. It certainly sounds as if today''s performance was as dire as some others I''ve read about. But our failure in the transfer window has to be taken into account.

[quote user="lake district canary"]What is it with you lot?    Pining for Paul Lambert?   Would you rather go and support Newcastle?   Give the man a chance to do his job.   Next season was always going to be the time to judge the progress of  his  tenure.   Not in the first season where he started from scratch.You "outers", while you are entitled to have your opinions, should maybe try and see the bigger picture for a change.   None of us is enjoying the struggle at the moment, but it is not as bad as some of you are making out - and we are still on course to stay up.[/quote]Started from scratch?You mean with the team that PL took to 12th in our first season back, the team with exciting players who loved to attack and did a damn good job of it?We have basically the same side as last season but have got better players at the back (apart from missing Naughton to some degree), and suddenly all the flair, attacking power and spirit is gone.As for pining for Lambert, I''m not pining, but he gave us far better football to watch along with a higher finish in the table (unless a miracle happens in the last few games), and had players who gave 100% for him - I don''t see the same thing under Hughton, no matter how competent or professional he may come across as.I CAN see the bigger picture, and frankly I''m bloody worried that we''ll add even more decent players to the team, but then be forced to watch the same style of football as we have for a lot of this season, which frankly has been absolute dross at times (with today being a horrible example). It''s not that we don''t have enough quality players in some cases, it''s simply that the ones we do have, aren''t being used in their most effective manner and it''s having a negative impact on both the football and attitude on the pitch.Unless there are genuine signs that he can get us playing decent football in the next few, then maybe a change is needed in the summer, I''m just not sure who it should be at this stage...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]What is it with you lot?    Pining for Paul Lambert?   Would you rather go and support Newcastle?   Give the man a chance to do his job.   Next season was always going to be the time to judge the progress of  his  tenure.   Not in the first season where he started from scratch.You "outers", while you are entitled to have your opinions, should maybe try and see the bigger picture for a change.   None of us is enjoying the struggle at the moment, but it is not as bad as some of you are making out - and we are still on course to stay up.[/quote]Started from scratch?You mean with the team that PL took to 12th in our first season back, the team with exciting players who loved to attack and did a damn good job of it?We have basically the same side as last season but have got better players at the back (apart from missing Naughton to some degree), and suddenly all the flair, attacking power and spirit is gone.As for pining for Lambert, I''m not pining, but he gave us far better football to watch along with a higher finish in the table (unless a miracle happens in the last few games), and had players who gave 100% for him - I don''t see the same thing under Hughton, no matter how competent or professional he may come across as.I CAN see the bigger picture, and frankly I''m bloody worried that we''ll add even more decent players to the team, but then be forced to watch the same style of football as we have for a lot of this season, which frankly has been absolute dross at times (with today being a horrible example). It''s not that we don''t have enough quality players in some cases, it''s simply that the ones we do have, aren''t being used in their most effective manner and it''s having a negative impact on both the football and attitude on the pitch.Unless there are genuine signs that he can get us playing decent football in the next few, then maybe a change is needed in the summer, I''m just not sure who it should be at this stage...[/quote]

I''m losing patience with this kind of argument.    Anyone with half a brain can see we''re struggling to create chances, but also if you really study the matches we have played this season you will see we are attempting to attack.   What lets us down is the quality of the passing and crossing.  That is not the manager''s fault.   The players are not up to defending AND attacking with quality.  Hughton is trying to get us to play grown up football - defend in an organised way then attack with quality.   The midfield have been found wanting in this department, no question.  And the strikers have struggled as a result.  

As I and a lot of others have been saying - have patience, get behind the team and manager, judge them on next season when they have had a chance to improve the attacking side of the game.   Hughton is not a defensive manager - but things have turned out more defensive this season for a reason - its a transitional season.   Thought most of us had grasped that.

Out for me.I have never been a fan- thought I was wrong about him for a little bit but he frustrates me week after week, doesn''t seem able to motivate the team and I don''t like Calderwood or Trollope either.Personally I don''t buy the whole weak squad/start from scratch/great 10 game run/name someone better etc etc reasons for him staying after this season. I don''t feel he has what it takes to be a manager at this level.I feel we have won points more by luck than judgement where we have taken them and I suspect that his philosophy is to be defensive and let the creativity happen ''naturally'' or like magic... the balance of attention doesn''t seem to be there.Canary Call today was full of comments such as ''only playing this way to get the best out of what he''s got''... if that were true then how has he not noticed that it isn''t working and does anyone agree that our squad is best playing one up front defense first football? I know I don''t.There is a big argument for how he has improved the defense that I really don''t buy either- I think he has got 7 defenders playing rather than 4 and we''ve still had plenty of heavy defeats.I don''t know who would be a better choice or even who would be available but I think Hughton has had a season, it has not been good or even a step forward despite a fair bit of investment.

The failure to acquire a striker in the summer and then again in January increasingly look like egregious errors by Hughton and the board. That coupled with the negative tactics post Christmas have led to the decline we are now experiencing. We seem to only ever have a Plan A - try not to lose - rather than try to win. Such a one dimensional approach is not what I''d hope for at this level from our manager.

Hughton has been successful as a Norwich manager if he keeps us up. Simple as. But if the club is to be ambitious (RVW) then I can really see Chris being dismissed by the last game of the season (if we are staying up). If we go down I see him staying strangely enough. This is what I would do as a ncfc board member anyway. As other posters have stated though just who do you bring in? Unless a Southampton type appointment from a European club?

If our club has real ambition and football is all about entertainment (and it is because that is what sells Norwich City to new players wanting to come and join, and to global audiences)....we need new thinking. I''m not convinced CH is the person. But I like him too so mixed feelings to a degree.

It is not his fault that we have a team still adjusting and over performing on their lower league origins. It is testament to the players how far we have come. But we must progress and tactically he may be behind the game I fear....literally it seems to me. I can''t think of one game in the entire system where we have led the momentum, dictated the strategy. Yes, this was Lamberts great strength. I desperately want to beat his Villa team though next weekend....the hand fist pump to the crowd in the League cup match still rankles me.....as he would have said ,,,football has a funny way of coming back to punish you. But, getting back to this topic, I hope he board are ruthless in May.

Today cemented my views ....even Reading was an unconvincing performance for me.

I wouldn''t say that there was any sense in Yellow Shirt''s post. Absolutely ridiculous to suggest we haven''t improved defensively. I would suggest that you compare the number of clean sheets this season with last year - those are what really matter when it comes to the amount of points that you accrue. Plus I think it undeniable that Garrido, Bassong, Turner, Whittaker are better than last season''s counterparts, Barnett, Tierney, Ward etc. If you care to disagree please feel free to make your case...

He''s also had to contend with our no.1 keeper being out most of the season but had already addressed that potential issue and signed a guy in Bunn who has done very well. Lambo was lucky he didn''t have such an issue because he didn''t sign any back-up.

It is a fact that both fans of Newcastle and Birmingham are massively pro-Hughton. There is a good reason for that - he has delivered successful, entertaining football at those Clubs and he is a very humble and measured man. For those who do want him out, I haven''t seen too many suggestions for replacements. But why not just get rid of him and then worry about that eh...

The guy has done a good job this season in pretty difficult circumstances. The ''outers'' on here remind me of West Ham fans who want rid of Big Sam - I think they are stupid and I think Hughton outers are equally unrealistic. We still have a squad with little premiership quality players, with a tiny wage budget. We over-achieved last season with a very attacking policy which was always going to be very difficult to sustain and things needed to change for us to progress - I see in Hughton a move toward the kind of style that will see us become a sustainable Premier League Club.

Sorry if that isn''t exciting enough for some on here.

I''ve been a big supporter of Hughton (if not necessarily a fan) all season. And at the moment I think it would be ludicrous to get rid. Three games to go, who do we bring in? It could backfire, and we should (!) just about still be safe anyway. Seems pointless and risky.

However, if after the first 5 or 6 games of next season we aren''t seeing better results (and/or to an extent performances, depending on fixture lists) than we have had since new year, then he has to go.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Chunky Norwich"]I''m already worried about surviving next year in the Premiership...[/quote]

This will be par for the course every season. Some people find this difficult to accept but it''s true never the less.Chris Hughton will be staying and by keeping us up willl deserve to.[/quote]I thought of your point as I posted. And if Hughton keeps us up then he will have done a Ronseal-type of management and well done to him.For me personally, there''s just a difference between ''there''s a possibility we might go down next year'' and ''bloody hell, I''m really concerned we are going to go down next season''. We''re just shot-shy, toothless and look completely devoid of ideas. The key to our improvement next year seems to be stuck entirely on the goal-scoring of RvW.

I don''t really agree with that either Chunky.

We will have to some extent ''muddled through'' this season to a stage in the Club''s development where we are debt free and with a new TV deal that will give us the chance to sign 5 or 6 quality players, not just RVW.

You can bet that most of those will be attacking players and if we can bolt quality onto the existing back 4, keeper and holding midfielder I think the prospects for next year look very good.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]I don''t really agree with that either Chunky. We will have to some extent ''muddled through'' this season to a stage in the Club''s development where we are debt free and with a new TV deal that will give us the chance to sign 5 or 6 quality players, not just RVW. You can bet that most of those will be attacking players and if we can bolt quality onto the existing back 4, keeper and holding midfielder I think the prospects for next year look very good.[/quote]

Quite right. The alternative would be to boot Hughton out, pay him and his staff a pile of cash (which could instead go on players), pay his replacement''s club a pile of cash (which could instead go on players), then expect the new man to build his squad on top of the remains of Lambert''s and Hughton''s players.

Continuity seems a better idea.