Sign in to follow this  
WesHoolahansDefendant

Wes & Pilks & Benno

Agree!

Normal back 4 with Garrido at leftback. If Bassong doesn''t make it then Martin should be moved over to CB with Whittiker slotting in at rightback!

Johnson and Tettey the holding midfielders.

Benett on the right and Pilks on the left s we''ve got pace on the flanks.

Holt up fron on his own and then either Snodgrass or Hoolahan in the hole!

It''s a bit late in the season to be trying things but I would go with playing Snodgrass centrally.

A midfield of something like Bennett, Snogdrass, Johnson/Tettey, Pilkington.

Would give us a little more creativity in the middle.

Holt/Becchio and Kamara upfront for me.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I wonder if playing Snodgrass centrally last week would have helped too.

I''d personally give Snoddy a day off, he was woeful against Stoke.

The minute Wes came on, we looked so much more threatening, add in a fit Pilks and Benno''s pace and crossing ability then we should be able to cause Villa problems and it relieves Holt of his new-found wing duties.

Keep the strength in midfield with Johnson and Tetts and yes, perhaps push Martin into the middle

[quote user="chicken"]It''s a bit late in the season to be trying things but I would go with playing Snodgrass centrally.

A midfield of something like Bennett, Snogdrass, Johnson/Tettey, Pilkington.

Would give us a little more creativity in the middle.

Holt/Becchio and Kamara upfront for me.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I wonder if playing Snodgrass centrally last week would have helped too.[/quote]Agree with the "trying things out" bit.We are at home , we set ourselves up how we want, and dictate the pace of the game. And if that means slowing the game down, and keeping it tight, then so be it.All out blitzkreig attack, given Villa''s pace, would just be stupid.

I agree Wes should play. Controlling the midfield should be a priority and we keep the ball better with Wes. Lambert also worries about how he can open up defences, which was evident up at Villa Park by some nasty late challenges.Benno has been in form in the last couple of home games and his pace caused Villa problems in the away match. He''s been solid defensively too, which will be important against a team keen on counter attacking.Tough choice between Snodgrass and Pilks. Pilks for pace and drive. Snodgrass for his set piece delivery.  Pilks is due a goal I feel.Prefer Garrido at left back. Again, pace will be crucial in what will surely be a breathless match.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Why do people start discussion threads and sign off with "end of"?[/quote]More to the point, why do other people post after it? I mean, if that really was the "end of", then there would be nothing left to say, right?Oops, and now I''ve gone and done it.[/quote]Hughton''s a girl, Calderwood knows less about football than Tracey Emin, and Grant Holt is the pinnacle of human physical fitness. End of.

Why should we play Snodgrass, an out and out winger, in the hole?

Screw it, why not put Holt right back and Pilks in goal.

[quote user="RenegadeSnare"]Why do people take things so literally, then waste their time commenting on a thread just to attack the OP. Idiot.[/quote]

Why do people start threads with end of which kind of implies no reply and then when they get replies, flounce off like little girls? Crybaby.

To be fair Holt would do a decent job at right back given the chance. No way will Hughton drop Snodgrass and rightly so. Either 5 in mid with Snodgrass, Tettey, BJ, Pilks and Hoolahan. Or 4 with pilks, snoddy, BJ and Either Hoolahan or Tettey. Would love to see the diamond again but will never happen.

I agree with OP, we are a good prem side when Pilks and Hoolahan are in form causing the oppo a threat. Unfortunately one has been injured and the other is out of form. Our best hope of a home win in the remaining 2 home games is them both having a good game on the same day.Otherwise we lack a real threat and create very little or no chances as of late.Lambert was a master at dropping these 2 just long enough to make them hungry and raring to go again for the big 6 point games. Hughton has not mastered this, he leaves players out for too long (aka FOX who is now off the pace) or not long enough to have an impact. Lambert realised very early in our prem season that fitting an in form hungry Wes was the key to our survival.I am hopeful Hughton has planned this for these 2 home games to come?

If Villa are playing 4-3-3 then having pacey, direct wingers on the flanks is going to work to our advantage. However, I''m sure Hughton will go about trying to match and neutralise their formation