Sign in to follow this  
Fried Cheese

Throw-ins

Is is just me? Or has anyone else noticed how, just this season, we almost always lose possession from our throw-ins?

If it''s just me, I''ll get me coat.

Are throw-ins were appauling at the weekend, particularly in the last 10mins.

Several times, the was no or little option to throw in (i.e everyone stationary).

Then we resorted to Bennett lopping them up for the goalie to catch.

Baracouda wroe "Are throw-ins were appauling at the weekend, particularly in the last 10mins. Several times, the was no or little option to throw in (i.e everyone stationary)."

I think that this is an important point, and even bigger than you suggest. So many passes are sideways, and often to players marked, because of failure to run into spaces and offer to receieve it. They must make themselves available, or passes will continue to be sideways, ponderous and misplaced.

We may be (= are) short of pace in many players, but most could manage to run into space. One or two can play "one-twos", but how often do they do this?

I think that there are three reasons for this:

• Doing it throughout the game can be tiring, much more than merely marking an opponent reasonably closely.
  • A lack of confidence pervading the team -"What if I leave a hole which the opponents exploit?" "What if I fail to use the pass?"
  • The emphasis on defence and safety which has prevailed.

Agree one hundred percent with everything Salopian has put there. The only thing I can add is that Hoolahan is the only player who regularly does find those spaces. Even against Stoke, when he came on we suddenly had a pass available. The only time Whittaker found some space on the wing to put a cross in was when Hoolahan had found space to receive the ball and was then able to switch it. Conversely, there were at least three occasions where Snodgrass actually moved from a position of having a couple of yards of space to go and stand behind a defender! A lack of confidence and wanting to stand up and take the risk. Nobody other than Hoolahan is screaming for the ball, nobody wants to take the risk of giving it away.

I am fairly sure this thread was meant to be amusing, it can''t be anything else but tongue in cheek.It was just so unfunny it fooled us.

Probably true but I have to agree with Barracuda about the last 10 minutes on Saturday.  Several times we had a throw in well down the wing and everyone seemed to stand around, with one player fairly close but stationary and heavily marked, and the others in the centre hoping the ball would somehow get over to them.  At a goal down you''d hope to have 2-3 players moving within throwing distance, and others ready to attack the box if we got into a crossing position without over-committing to a silly extent.

Similarly when we did cross the ball, they were mostly floated in nice and high, exactly what the Stoke keeper would have asked for in a training session.

Frustrating that Stoke were pretty poor, we just never really put them under any pressure.

Its down to the way the thrower holds the ball, under Hughton we''ve definitely adopted the defensive grip, during Lamberts tenure the attacking grip was more in evidence.

It the same with the boots, Lambert insisted that the studs were slightlty more pointed at the front of the boot, Hughton has gone back to the completely round stud all over.

The good news is that next season strip has a new design that allows the air flow around the front of the shirt to be less restrictive so that we can attack faster (this idea was first put to the kit manufacturer in Lamberts last season but its taken this long to perfect) although in early trials Hughton hasn''t been impressed and may request that the air flow is less restrictive around the back of the shirt.

I take this is a comedy thread.

Our best chance of the game actually came from a throw in, when Bennett threw it straight on to Kamara''s head and his header went just over. But yeah - we never create anything from throw ins?????????????????

I was about to get m'' coat when I remembered I''d written; "almost always" and not just "always". 

Try counting them at the Villa match.  I''ll wager we''ll lose possesion from 3 out of 4 throw-ins.  That can''t be normal? 

As for ''is this a comedy thread?''...  

Yes, in as much as this is a comedy site!!  Anyone who reads most of the ''debate'' on here and isn''t constantly pissing themselves has issues.

This site!