Sign in to follow this  
pete

May need Wigan to blunder to survive

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

Just to clarify the above:

Us in last 4: D L W L = 4 points from 12

Wigan in last 4: D L L D = 2 points from 12

So what is this revival that everyone''s going on about - I''m confoooosed?!

[/quote]

If you look at it over the traditional 6 game period that''s traditionally used for the form table it paint''s a slightly different picture:

Us isn last 6: D L D L W L = 5 points from 18

Wigan in last 6: W W D L L D = 8 points from 18

The 4 game period you selected for Wigan included 3 away fixtures. We can try and dress it up however we like but our form is not, and has not been over the 2nd half of the season, good. Still think we are going to need to hit 40 points as a minimum to stay up. Everything crossed that we get there this weekend.

[/quote]

Just to even things up in a positive way : -

Newcastle in last 6 : L L W L D L 4  points from 18.

[/quote]

I suspect Newcastle will be saved by having to play the shambles of a club that is the already relegated QPR.

[/quote]

So in this instance the traditional 6 game period that''s traditionally used for the form table is irrelevant because it doesn''t paint the picture which suits you.

So to add some positive balance QPR''s "multi-million previously certain to get the out of trouble superstars" respond to playing without fear and trounce a quivering and fearful Toon.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

If you look at it over the traditional 6 game period that''s traditionally used for the form table it paint''s a slightly different picture:

The 4 game period you selected for Wigan included 3 away fixtures. We can try and dress it up however we like but our form is not, and has not been over the 2nd half of the season, good. Still think we are going to need to hit 40 points as a minimum to stay up. Everything crossed that we get there this weekend.

[/quote]You say that, but if you average out the results of their last 6 fixtures into their expected points from their last 4, they end up with 5 more points finishing on 37. We already have 38. I know, stats & lies right? But looking at Wigan''s last 4 fixtures, I can''t see them getting any more than 4 or 5.

Nearly everyone is assuming that we are going to lose at Manc City - I know we always do but, they will have won the Cup by then, have runners-up spot nailed down and mentally be on the beach.I see us getting at least one point, if not all three.Now that''s positive thinking!

[quote user="Orford65"]Nearly everyone is assuming that we are going to lose at Manc City - I know we always do but, they will have won the Cup by then, have runners-up spot nailed down and mentally be on the beach.

I see us getting at least one point, if not all three.

Now that''s positive thinking!
[/quote]

How on earth do you expect us to get us relegated with that scenario!!!!

We don''t need to rely on Wigan blundering. There form over the season has been very poor and it''s hardly changed over recent weeks.

We''re not in the relegation zone because over the course of the season we''ve been better than 6 other teams in the league. That includes Newcastle, Sunderland, Villa and of course Wigan.

[quote user="hogesar"]We don''t need to rely on Wigan blundering. There form over the season has been very poor and it''s hardly changed over recent weeks.

We''re not in the relegation zone because over the course of the season we''ve been better than 6 other teams in the league. That includes Newcastle, Sunderland, Villa and of course Wigan.[/quote]Don''t be bringing logic into this mass wetting of pants![:@]

[quote user="hogesar"]It was an accident, Morty, honest. Thought I was on a different forum....[/quote]I am just thankful Wiz has retired himself lol, I don''t think I''d even bother logging in right now!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

So in this instance the traditional 6 game period that''s traditionally used for the form table is irrelevant because it doesn''t paint the picture which suits you.

So to add some positive balance QPR''s "multi-million previously certain to get the out of trouble superstars" respond to playing without fear and trounce a quivering and fearful Toon.

[/quote]

Nutty Nigel in twisting people''s words shocker!

I didn''t say it was irrelevant did I? I merely pointed out that they couldn''t really ask for any easier fixture when they''re in such a bad run of form. I''d certainly rather be playing QPR or Reading again than any of our remaining fixtures. It certainly doesn''t suit me either, you seem to have this bizzare stance that anyone who doesn''t stick their head in the sand and pretend that everything is fine wants to see us fail, which couldn''t be further from the truth.

Get over yourself.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="star_manic"]or as one US president stated- there are lies, damn lies and statistics. in other words you can make whatever point you want with the use of stats.[/quote]72.8% of statistics are totally made up.[/quote]50% of the time it works every time.

[/quote]

Nutty Nigel in twisting people''s words shocker!

I didn''t say it was irrelevant did I? I merely pointed out that they couldn''t really ask for any easier fixture when they''re in such a bad run of form. I''d certainly rather be playing QPR or Reading again than any of our remaining fixtures. It certainly doesn''t suit me either, you seem to have this bizzare stance that anyone who doesn''t stick their head in the sand and pretend that everything is fine wants to see us fail, which couldn''t be further from the truth.

Get over yourself.

[/quote]

But it''s only easier because you prefer to twist every situation into a negative. I twist it into a positive and I need to "get over myself". If you can''t handle having your opinion challenged in a more adult manner then maybe you''re another who would be happier writing a blog...

Someone purleease explain to this duffer, how Wigan vs Swansea (9 placings between them) is a home banker, but Norwich vs West Brom (6 places between them) is , at best, a draw (and in some people''s heads, an away win for sure?

There are 10 points betweenWigan and Swansea, and, oh look, 10 points between West Brom and Norwich. The Bookies still (even after last night) have us as favourites to beat Villa.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

Someone purleease explain to this duffer, how Wigan vs Swansea (9 placings between them) is a home banker, but Norwich vs West Brom (6 places between them) is , at best, a draw (and in some people''s heads, an away win for sure?

There are 10 points betweenWigan and Swansea, and, oh look, 10 points between West Brom and Norwich. The Bookies still (even after last night) have us as favourites to beat Villa.

[/quote]

Because it can be twisted to be anything you want. You have to imagine that the bookies are realistic when pricing up. Norwich are 16/1 to be relegated Villa are 8/1. Norwich are 6/4 to beat Villa who are 2/1 to win the game. Logically we won''t lose every game and our rivals won''t win every game. But if I was as certain as many seem to be on here I''d be a rich man in 3 weeks time...

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

[/quote]

Exactly! My comment about Wigan was simply because there seems to have been some really weird illusion created that we''re the worst team to have ever have graced the Premiership (when, actually, our home form has been pretty decent if uninspiring over the season) and (seemingly by pure luck!?) we''re sitting above a crop of teams who put Barca, R. Madrid and Manure in the shade.

And that really isn''t how it is surely? Of course we''re not safe, only an idiot would think we can''t get drawn into it but to view it as some sort of inevitability as some seem to be is so defeatist it''s untrue?!

That wasn''t aimed at the likes of you Nutty, but trying to get a reasoned response from a pantwetter or two. They all seem to have forgotten about Villa, Newcastle or Sunderland, and suddenly Wigan are World beaters

Indeed Macca. There are defeatist posters and posters with fight. Neither are going to back down are they?

Especially those with fight ..........Unless of course the defeatist show uncharacteristic traits fighting their corner...

But it''s only easier because you prefer to twist every situation into a negative. I twist it into a positive and I need to "get over myself". If you can''t handle having your opinion challenged in a more adult manner then maybe you''re another who would be happier writing a blog...

[/quote]

It''s not easier because I''m twisting it into a negative. It''s easier because it''s QPR, who have already been relegated. If you can honestly tell me you wouldn''t swap that for any of Villa, WBA, or Man City then fair enough, but I think you''d be on your own.

You haven''t challenged any of my opinions in a adult manner as far as I can tell, unless you count questioning why I''m posting on a thread and generally ignoring responses to your points by attempting to twist my words.

Anyone who knows me knows that I''m not a negative person, quite the opposite in fact, but I am a realist and I''m not going to put my head in the sand and say that everything smells of roses when it doesn''t.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha, you couldn''t make it up!  Well actually you have!

The 6 game period you have ''selected'' does include those 3 away games for Wigan and only those 3 games, the other 3 obviously being home games.

So what, you might think.  But you, a Norwich fan have ''selected'' a (fairer?) 6 game period, which includes 4 away games for Norwich and only 2 at home!

Factor into that the facts that our home form is far better than our away form this season and that Wigan''s home form is only 2 points (yes only 2 points) better than their away form this season and I struggle to see why you feel the need to even post what you did?[:^)]

You''re a Norwich fan, yet you as well as others on here, seem desperate almost to manipulate stats to try and show how bad Norwich are and how good Wigan and others are!  I really don''t get it???[:^)]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

It''s not easier because I''m twisting it into a negative. It''s easier because it''s QPR, who have already been relegated. If you can honestly tell me you wouldn''t swap that for any of Villa, WBA, or Man City then fair enough, but I think you''d be on your own.

You haven''t challenged any of my opinions in a adult manner as far as I can tell, unless you count questioning why I''m posting on a thread and generally ignoring responses to your points by attempting to twist my words.

Anyone who knows me knows that I''m not a negative person, quite the opposite in fact, but I am a realist and I''m not going to put my head in the sand and say that everything smells of roses when it doesn''t.

[/quote]

Knowing what our away form has been like this season and knowing that going away to QPR a team who are already relegated and have nothing to lose and the freedom to play now the ''threat'' of relegation has been lifted off their shoulders, I wouldn''t swap either of our 2 home games.  Add to that QPR''s team  filled with ''failed big earners'' probably desperate to not play in the Championship and a few who I can see will try and put themselves in the shop window over the final 3 games.  No I definitely wouldn''t swap!

We have Man City on the final day, Newcastle have Arsenal, so that evens the final game up so imho the question should be limited to would you swap Newcastle''s QPR away game with either of our next 2?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The 6 game period you have ''selected'' does include those 3 away games for Wigan and only those 3 games, the other 3 obviously being home games.

So what, you might think.  But you, a Norwich fan have ''selected'' a (fairer?) 6 game period, which includes 4 away games for Norwich and only 2 at home!

Factor into that the facts that our home form is far better than our away form this season and that Wigan''s home form is only 2 points (yes only 2 points) better than their away form this season and I struggle to see why you feel the need to even post what you did?[:^)]

You''re a Norwich fan, yet you as well as others on here, seem desperate almost to manipulate stats to try and show how bad Norwich are and how good Wigan and others are!  I really don''t get it???[:^)]

[/quote]

The 6 game period is the period that the Premier League use to calculate the form table, it''s not my calculation.

I was pointing out that the 4 game period you selected for Wigan contained 3 away games, with just one at home. The same period for us was 2 home and 2 away.

The 6 game period that I posted contained 3 home and 3 away games for each side, a fairer representation of form.

So no, I didn''t "make it up". Nothing but facts there which were posted in response to posts saying that Wigan are in worse form than us, which isn''t really true. My personal opinion is that Wigan will get a further 6/7 points, meaning we still need a couple of points to secure safety. As I said previously, fingers crossed we can get those on Saturday.

[quote user="morty"]

I doubt VERY much Wigan will get another 6 or 7 points.

[/quote]

Hope you''re right. Would be fantastic to go into the final home game pressure free and get the inflatables out again!

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The 6 game period is the period that the Premier League use to calculate the form table, it''s not my calculation.

I was pointing out that the 4 game period you selected for Wigan contained 3 away games, with just one at home. The same period for us was 2 home and 2 away.

The 6 game period that I posted contained 3 home and 3 away games for each side, a fairer representation of form.

So no, I didn''t "make it up". Nothing but facts there which were posted in response to posts saying that Wigan are in worse form than us, which isn''t really true. My personal opinion is that Wigan will get a further 6/7 points, meaning we still need a couple of points to secure safety. As I said previously, fingers crossed we can get those on Saturday.

[/quote]

Err, I didn''t suggest a 4 game period.  You got me confoosed with someone else bud.

Jesus, how many more times?  Did you not read or not understand what I posted????

Read what I posted above then please explain how this 6 game period ''"is a fairer representation of form"?

I''ll give you a clue to the first bit - Wigan 3 home, 3 away - Norwich 2 home, 4 away!

[^o)]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

Hope you''re right. Would be fantastic to go into the final home game pressure free and get the inflatables out again!

[/quote]4 points at best, Wigan are where they are because they are pony, they aren''t going to suddenly turn into Real Madrid.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have. Time and time again. Including the one about QPR where I stated it''s just as likely that with pressure off they could show a bit more of their potential. It''s just as likely as your scenario that they will be easy pickings. But you don''t see it because it''s different to your POV. Not twisted but a different opinion. Live with it Brownie.

Just to add that a lot more would be made of how relegated QPR could suddenly become a difficult game if it was us playing them. Just as WBA would be mid-table with nothing to play for if Wigan were playing them. At the end of the day I prefer to be positive.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

4 points at best, Wigan are where they are because they are pony, they aren''t going to suddenly turn into Real Madrid.
[/quote]

Tell that to the team who''s finished in 18th the past 4 seasons :-)

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

[/quote]4 points at best, Wigan are where they are because they are pony, they aren''t going to suddenly turn into Real Madrid.[/quote]

[/quote]Their luck is up this season I think.[:)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Err, I didn''t suggest a 4 game period.  You got me confoosed with someone else bud.

Jesus, how many more times?  Did you not read or not understand what I posted????

Read what I posted above then please explain how this 6 game period ''"is a fairer representation of form"?

I''ll give you a clue to the first bit - Wigan 3 home, 3 away - Norwich 2 home, 4 away!

[^o)]

[/quote]

Apologies, did indeed get you confused with another poster.

The Premier League obviously consider 6 games to be a fairer representation of form, or they''d use 4 games for the form table. Ask them.

Fair point on the last bit, my mistake.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

4 points at best, Wigan are where they are because they are pony, they aren''t going to suddenly turn into Real Madrid.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Their luck is up this season I think.

[:)]
[/quote]

Hope you''re right. If we bring Lambert back down to earth with a bump on Saturday then it won''t be our problem anyway.