Sign in to follow this  
pete

May need Wigan to blunder to survive

Obvious yes as Villa score for fun and we may have secondstring defence for rest of season. Perhaps no more points this season then must rely on Wigan to drop enough points for us to survive. Wigan have difficult game at WBA who will want to cement top 10 finish and have Lukaku, no points for Wigan. Swansea is the key game if Wigan win then it could be curtains, draw and we stay up.

Arsenal will stuff Wigan after FA Cup defeat. Then Villa at home, hoping for a Villa favour. Doesn''t appear it will be in our hands.

[quote user="pete"]Obvious yes as Villa score for fun and we may have secondstring defence for rest of season. Perhaps no more points this season then must rely on Wigan to drop enough points for us to survive. Wigan have difficult game at WBA who will want to cement top 10 finish and have Lukaku, no points for Wigan. Swansea is the key game if Wigan win then it could be curtains, draw and we stay up.

Arsenal will stuff Wigan after FA Cup defeat. Then Villa at home, hoping for a Villa favour. Doesn''t appear it will be in our hands.[/quote]

So shall we just give in now, or wait till the end of the season??

The first word of your post says it all Pete. Then again you could add Newcastle and Sunderland into your thread title. Then again we might pick up a few points ourselves.

pete wrote the following: Doesn''t appear it will be in our hands.

I don''t think so... we will get at least a couple of points from those two home games. Wigan aren''t even in good form and have a major distraction in the cup final.

No need to start wetting the bed just yet. If we lose to Villa and Wigan beat WBA and their game in hand of Swansea, then you are free to relieve yourself at will.

Well Pete - if we get no more points this season, then yes it would be out of our hands because Wigan are 6 points behind with 4 games to play.

Which is another way of saying we''re not safe yet and we need to pick up some points to be sure of being ok.  Err which kind of means it''s in our hands, doesn''t it ?

For the first time I begin to worry about the immediate future. Everybody else, except Newcastle and Sunderland to some extent, are reviving and we are not. We are not the team we were earlier in the season, and now with Turner and possibly Bassong out....

I would go further and say that after Saturday''s goal attempt lacking, I wonder if we shall gain any further points this season. In which case it''s looking grim, and we really have to hope that Wigan stumble and the teams from the North East also go pointless. The best hope is that Wigan stumble, but at times recently they have played very well. They certainly have some outstanding players, and are capable of upsets.

Sorry to be so pessimistic at last, but last Saturday, injuries and Villa''s massive win are all disturbing.

We need to get ONE point from two home games, thats ONE POINT, pant wetters, and Wigan need to win 3 out of 4 games, with the small matter of an FA cup final in the middle of 5 games in 15 days.

[quote user="pete"]Obvious yes as Villa score for fun and we may have secondstring defence for rest of season. Perhaps no more points this season then must rely on Wigan to drop enough points for us to survive. Wigan have difficult game at WBA who will want to cement top 10 finish and have Lukaku, no points for Wigan. Swansea is the key game if Wigan win then it could be curtains, draw and we stay up.

Arsenal will stuff Wigan after FA Cup defeat. Then Villa at home, hoping for a Villa favour. Doesn''t appear it will be in our hands.[/quote]Before yesterday''s game, Vila had only scored 3 more goals than us in the league.Geezus! There is more drama queens on this message board than Coronation Street.

[quote user="morty"]We need to get ONE point from two home games, thats ONE POINT, pant wetters, and Wigan need to win 3 out of 4 games, with the small matter of an FA cup final in the middle of 5 games in 15 days.[/quote]You try saying that if Chief Wiggums have beat WBA and Swansea and we have lost to Villa, and are below them in the table in 7 days time.  All ifs and buts I know, I am safe in the knowledge we we get at least a couple of points. We are always good for a draw! [:D]

Villa is in no way shape or form a foregone conclusion.

They just won 6-1 they won''t do that again. Like when Chelsea beat Villa 8-1 or whatever it was then played us, everyone was crying about how we''d get thrashed then, 1-0 wasn''t it? An Chelsea never looked dangerous, not even when they scored, was quite a lucky goal if I remember correctly.

Villa are just as likely to turn up over confidant. Not break through our defence (Bassong will be playing, Hughton wouldn''t have said anything if he was injured, he''s playing mind games, nearly every manager does it when they say things like he''s said about Bassong). And we, like our last two home games will attack and score.

4 in 2 games at home. I wish some of you end of the world parts would remember that. Because after Reading everyone was delighted, a win after a great performance against Arsenal the week before and that coming after two against Swansea. One obvious defeat to a team we haven''t beaten away in a million years, who also just picked up some confidence again and are masters of destroying teams at their ground and a load of people who show little sign of actually being able to support their team come out the woodworks and just try to make everyone else panic about nothing.

IF and it''s a big if at the moment, despite their result last night, Villa beat us. Then some panic is necessary, but then we also have WBA at home. If people think Wga have a chance against the likes of WBA and Swansea, the. Surely we have a chance against Villa and WBA? AT HOME!!!

its entirely in our hands.   To suggest otherwise indicates a complete loss of faith in the players and we may as well not play the last three games of the season and accept the 3-0 defeats for not fulfilling a fixture.

Our home form remains good and Villa and WBA are not a chelsea or man city and dont have a suarez.   Yes we may lose one of them - we are unlikely to lose both.  

Our team have it in them to win the next two home games and more importantly to not lose them.

"Doesn''t appear it will be in our hands."

*facepalm*

[quote user="I.S."]"Doesn''t appear it will be in our hands."

*facepalm*[/quote]

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/DoubleFacePalm1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/DoubleFacePalm1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Obviously wrong to say it is not in our hands. Of course it is. And it would still take a ''perfect storm'' of results for us to go down. However....the reason for our current state of nervousness is that little by little our cushion is being whittled away and last Saturday gave nothing for us to cling on to re our current form. The main consolation is our home results have been good this season and we have two home games left. I believe we can at least grind out a draw against Villa. Failure to take any points and a positive result for Wigan against West Brom will officially see my mood change from mildly nervous to distinctly worried.

Indeed. It isn''t out of our hands until we are in 18th place with the same number of games played as everyone around us. Until that point it is entirely in our hands.

I wonder what the Wigan''s player''s mind sets will be like for the next 2 games?  They know that they must win 2 out of their last 4 games just to catch the teams above them. With West Brom away 1 week before the Cup Final and Swansea at home 4 days before the Cup Final, the Cup Final must surely take a back seat?

Playing in the FA Cup Final will be a once in a lifetime chance for some of these players and you would think that despite this they have been told to put it out of their minds.  Survival is more important and any thoughts even subconscious ones of the Cup Final, not wanting to get injured etc could render their bid for survival as a lost cause.

The Cup Final itself is a tricky one.  Do Wigan go all out for victory, risking injury to some key players (Kone, Maloney etc) for the final 2 games or do they take their foot off the gas a bit and hand Man City a comfortable 2-0 win?[:^)]

We are a different team at home! Lets just get behind the lads for the next 2 home games and I''m sure we will get at LEAST 1 point as our home record is impressive.

[quote user="Salopian"]

For the first time I begin to worry about the immediate future. Everybody else, except Newcastle and Sunderland to some extent, are reviving and we are not. We are not the team we were earlier in the season, and now with Turner and possibly Bassong out....

I would go further and say that after Saturday''s goal attempt lacking, I wonder if we shall gain any further points this season. In which case it''s looking grim, and we really have to hope that Wigan stumble and the teams from the North East also go pointless. The best hope is that Wigan stumble, but at times recently they have played very well. They certainly have some outstanding players, and are capable of upsets.

Sorry to be so pessimistic at last, but last Saturday, injuries and Villa''s massive win are all disturbing.

[/quote]

Can somebody please explain to me exactly what this so-called Wigan revival actually consists of?! As far as I can tell, we''ve picked up more points than them over the last 3 games. Am I missing something?

[quote user="morty"]We need to get ONE point from two home games, thats ONE POINT, pant wetters, and Wigan need to win 3 out of 4 games, with the small matter of an FA cup final in the middle of 5 games in 15 days.[/quote]

No. If we get one further point and and finish on 39 Wigan can draw level, and almost certainly ahead on goal difference by winning two and drawing one. They would not need to win three.

Just to clarify the above:

Us in last 4:

D L W L = 4 points from 12

Wigan in last 4:

D L L D = 2 points from 12

So what is this revival that everyone''s going on about - I''m confoooosed?!

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]Just to clarify the above:

Us in last 4:

D L W L = 4 points from 12

Wigan in last 4:

D L L D = 2 points from 12

So what is this revival that everyone''s going on about - I''m confoooosed?![/quote]

I don''t know if anyone is talking about a Wigan revival. The difficulty in assessing Wigan is that they do have a very winnable game - at home to Swansea - in hand.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

Us in last 4: D L W L = 4 points from 12

Wigan in last 4: D L L D = 2 points from 12

[/quote]

If you look at it over the traditional 6 game period that''s traditionally used for the form table it paint''s a slightly different picture:

Us isn last 6: D L D L W L = 5 points from 18

Wigan in last 6: W W D L L D = 8 points from 18

The 4 game period you selected for Wigan included 3 away fixtures. We can try and dress it up however we like but our form is not, and has not been over the 2nd half of the season, good. Still think we are going to need to hit 40 points as a minimum to stay up. Everything crossed that we get there this weekend.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

If you look at it over the traditional 6 game period that''s traditionally used for the form table it paint''s a slightly different picture:

The 4 game period you selected for Wigan included 3 away fixtures. We can try and dress it up however we like but our form is not, and has not been over the 2nd half of the season, good. Still think we are going to need to hit 40 points as a minimum to stay up. Everything crossed that we get there this weekend.

[/quote]

Just to even things up in a positive way : -

Newcastle in last 6 : L L W L D L 4  points from 18.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just to even things up in a positive way : -

Newcastle in last 6 : L L W L D L 4  points from 18.

[/quote]

I suspect Newcastle will be saved by having to play the shambles of a club that is the already relegated QPR.

or as one US president stated- there are lies, damn lies and statistics. in other words you can make whatever point you want with the use of stats.

[quote user="star_manic"]or as one US president stated- there are lies, damn lies and statistics. in other words you can make whatever point you want with the use of stats.[/quote]72.8% of statistics are totally made up.