Sign in to follow this  
whistleblower

16/1 - relegation - get a grip everyone - it is most unlikely to happen

I have a bet of £50 with an Ipswich supporter that we are staying up. At 16/1, if I put a bet of £3, will that means that at worst I will make a profit of £1 if we go down and a profit of £47 if we stay up.

If we stay up you will make £50, less your £3 stake = £47 profit. If we go down, you will lose £50 with your mate, but make £48 profit from your £3 bet = £2 loss.

You don''t say when you had the £50 bet with your mate. If it was last August that makes sense. If it was last week then he''s the biggest fool of all time, as he''s taken evens when he could had 16/1, and made £800 if we go down.

If we win Saturday and Wigan fail to win, we''re mathematically safe. Wigan could catch us but only by taking points off Vla so Villa couldn''t pass us, or vice versa.

Purple Canary has pointed this out on another thread but it hasn''t had much attention for some reason...
I never realised we''d be mathematically safe! I just thought we''d be safe on Goal diff. Good find. [Y]We MUST win on Saturday.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]If we win Saturday and Wigan fail to win, we''re mathematically safe. Wigan could catch us but only by taking points off Vla so Villa couldn''t pass us, or vice versa. Purple Canary has pointed this out on another thread but it hasn''t had much attention for some reason...[/quote]

Probably because no-one thinks there is a chance in h*ll of it happening...[:D]

[/quote]

I thought they''d already beaten us...

[quote user="TheRock"]If we win Saturday and Wigan fail to win, we''re mathematically safe. Wigan could catch us but only by taking points off Vla so Villa couldn''t pass us, or vice versa.

Purple Canary has pointed this out on another thread but it hasn''t had much attention for some reason...I never realised we''d be mathematically safe! I just thought we''d be safe on Goal diff. Good find. [Y]We MUST win on Saturday.[/quote]

If we win on Saturday we get to 41 points. If Wigan draw they get to 33. With their extra game they can then get to 42 by winning their last three, but will have to beat Villa on the way. Villa, having lost to us, will be on 37 and  so with the loss to Wigan factored in can only get  to 40.If Wigan draw with WBA and then win two of their games and draw with Villa then Villa can catch us on 41, but Wigan will finish on 40.

There''s about as much chance of that happening as 3rd place Cardiff losing at home to a mid table Middlesbrough, then opening the door for Norwich to secure promotion by winning at Portsmuff immediately after!

It''ll never happen they said, wasted journey!

Ahhh..... the good old days ;)

[quote user="flecky76"]There''s about as much chance of that happening as 3rd place Cardiff losing at home to a mid table Middlesbrough, then opening the door for Norwich to secure promotion by winning at Portsmuff immediately after!

Ahhh..... the good old days ;)[/quote]

I wonder how many Nancy Negatives will be changing their posting name next season?

[quote user="flecky76"]There''s about as much chance of that happening as 3rd place Cardiff losing at home to a mid table Middlesbrough, then opening the door for Norwich to secure promotion by winning at Portsmuff immediately after!

Ahhh..... the good old days ;)[/quote][Y] [Y] [Y]

[quote user="flecky76"]There''s about as much chance of that happening as 3rd place Cardiff losing at home to a mid table Middlesbrough, then opening the door for Norwich to secure promotion by winning at Portsmuff immediately after! It''ll never happen they said, wasted journey! Ahhh..... the good old days ;)[/quote]

What do you reckon the odds were of that happening? 16/1? 10/1? 5/1? 2/1?