Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

The Stupid Footballer is Dead

Grant Holt isn''t stupid, as shown by his appearance on GoS and any post-match/pre-match interview.
End thread.
(Though, this books announcement just after Suarez biting someone was rather more amusing than this thread.)

Footballers are coached by the media department for their interviews, and just follow GH on twitter, not possible now of course, to know how gormless he is. 

Einstein is quoted as saying: “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Grant Holt may not know the difference between ''your'' and ''you''re'', or be able to describe the theory of general relativity, but he''s a genius on the football pitch.

Einstein on the other hand did know these things, but was probably crap at football.

So Paul McVeigh''s title is only right or wrong in relation to how you define ''stupid''.

I think he must mean something along the lines of articulate.

To me, there are two types of being clever. People that try and so work hard at getting themselves clever without much talent and people who are just born with talent (and often get lazy).

Everyone must know them irritating people who seemed pretty run of the mill/ a bit dumb in school but seemed to nail revision and pass exams and get straight a''s.

There are also people on the other side who do useless at school as they are just not suited to it. Unfortunately in this day and age, unless you get lucky or are outstanding at something, it''s highly unlikely you will get far without at least a small amount of academic understanding, (generally a C in GCSE Maths and English)

This is where footballers often lie, very often, they had (in particular 10 years ago) been very one track minded about football while growing up, caring little for academic studies with the belief they would ''make it'' at football.

For 95% of these people, they didn''t and they most likely are doing a low skilled job or did something related like coaching (a minority will have got lucky or had another non-academic talent to fall back on like sales).

What McVeigh is maybe getting at is that with improvement of youth facilities, more focus is on giving youngsters a more rounded education in case football doesn''t work out.

Holty does a job he loves. Earns more per week than I do per year. He has at least two houses. Expensive cars. A wife and kids which he adores.

I wish I was as ''thick'' as him.........

I must say I enjoyed his quote about when we got relegated with Worthy and they hired a psychologist who worked brilliantly.... Not from what I remember it didn''t

No, the blurb actually describes about tactical play and knowledge of the game. Tracking back, marking, positioning. That kind of thing.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Sadly the stupid fan lives on[/quote]

I know but ignorance is bliss so wer''re happy aren''t we Zip[:D]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Sadly the stupid fan lives on[/quote]Lol, truesay.