Sign in to follow this  
Media_Student

Liam Bridcutt Linked Again

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/west-brom-norwich-battle-seagulls-1857734

I don''t know if anyone noticed this in the Mirror on Sunday, we''re linked with Liam Bridcutt again. What do people think about him as a potential signing?

Yes please. Get rid of the dead wood i.e Fox and bring in this guy. Combative and can pick a pass.

[quote user="Nicko"]Yes please. Get rid of the dead wood i.e Fox and bring in this guy. Combative and can pick a pass.[/quote]Yes, because Fox really struggles to pass a ball effectively...oh wait...Another ridiculous post from you Nicko, are you deliberately trying to troll the forum or do you actually believe the nonsense you''re posting???

I know what you mean about Nicko''s posts Indy Bones, but he is right in half of what he says about Fox.

Yes Fox can pick a pass - but combative he most definitely is not.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]I know what you mean about Nicko''s posts Indy Bones, but he is right in half of what he says about Fox.

Yes Fox can pick a pass - but combative he most definitely is not.[/quote]I''d actually argue the combative point to a certain degree as well.Clearly Fox doesn''t have the size or physical presence of Tettey or Johnno, but he does have the ''fighting'' or ''combative'' spirit that they do, he simply can''t make the strong tackles they can defensively.I personally think Fox has been given the s**tty end of the stick this season for no apparent reason, whilst our midfield has struggled to pass more than five yards in any direction - and when they have done it''s been sideways or backwards - not what we''d have seen with Fox in there...

Is he really the player we need?

Yes he alright, but surely we must be looking for better...

[quote user="Jack Flash"]I liked Fox in the Championship, but I cannot forget his display against the mighty Luton![/quote]Ah yes, nice to see that one poor display from a guy who hadn''t had a regular game in months is enough to cancel out the seasons of great play and excellent service he''d already given us...There really is no logic to some posters...

[quote user="Nicko"]Yes please. Get rid of the dead wood i.e Fox and bring in this guy. Combative and can pick a pass.[/quote]Which Liam Bridcutt have you been watching.  From what I have heard, he is an effective combative tough tackling midfielder who can successfully pass a ball sideways 5 yards.  Not a Fox type player who will be knocking it first time 30 yards into the path of our on-running winger.  A decent water carrier in the Tettey or Johnson mold.   There is a good article about him here:http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/is-liam-bridcutt-good-enough-for-real-madrid-an-analysis-of-brightons-makelele/

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Jack Flash"]I liked Fox in the Championship, but I cannot forget his display against the mighty Luton![/quote]Ah yes, nice to see that one poor display from a guy who hadn''t had a regular game in months is enough to cancel out the seasons of great play and excellent service he''d already given us...[/quote]Don''t forget the indomitable Johnny Howson also played a full 90 minutes against Luton, with equal effect to all the other games he has played for us.  And unlike Fox''s 35 Premier League minutes this season, Howson has a full 19 starts and 8 sub appearances of under-performance to be judged on this season.  The undroppable Howson being our worst rated outfield player of the season.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Don''t forget the indomitable Johnny Howson also played a full 90 minutes against Luton, with equal effect to all the other games he has played for us.  And unlike Fox''s 35 Premier League minutes this season, Howson has a full 19 starts and 8 sub appearances of under-performance to be judged on this season.  The undroppable Howson being our worst rated outfield player of the season.
[/quote]

Howson reminds me of Francis during the second half of the 2004-2005 Prem season.....he''s on the pitch but contributing what exactly?

I saw the link to Bridcutt (again) and that WBA and Fulham are also linked. I''d love to see him here. A great protector for the defence, but also gets forward a fair bit from what I saw of him in a couple of games. Looked the best player on the pitch in each game

He looked pretty good when they beat Newcastle in the cup - I think it was. I guess it depends where both sides are for next season - Brighton still hold out hopes of promotion so i imagine they''d want to keep him if that came off.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Jack Flash"]I liked Fox in the Championship, but I cannot forget his display against the mighty Luton![/quote]Ah yes, nice to see that one poor display from a guy who hadn''t had a regular game in months is enough to cancel out the seasons of great play and excellent service he''d already given us...There really is no logic to some posters...[/quote]

I''m a season ticket older and I was amazed Fox got third in POTY last year. Fox is too lightweight, too slow in the pass and generally did nothing with the ball. Yes he is a good deliverer of the ball and yes he can pass sideways. Is he creative in OpenPlay? Does he score his fair share of goals? Does he have the required defensive qualities to complement the needed requirements of a modern day player?

For me he''s one of these players who flatters to decieve. We have enough players in the team already,(Hoolahan being another) who flatter.. But where Hoolahan is different is we currently don''t have anyone better.

I think rose tinted glasses are used by Fox supporters. He''s a decent championship player at best and that can be said for half our squad. Hughton will address this in the summer.

[quote user="Jack Flash"]I liked Fox in the Championship, but I cannot forget his display against the mighty Luton![/quote]

Lets just focus on fox for that abysmal display when it was the whole team.   As shambolic as foxs performance was (and it was poor) he wasnt even the worst midfielder on show that day - yet the only one to not have had another chance.

Not sure on this one, I think Birdcutt would just turn out to be another Butterfield and sent back out on loan. I believe our own Adeyeme is better all round and has a bigger physical presence on the pitch.

I have to agree from the little I have seen of Birdcutt he reminds me of a poor mans Ray Wilkins, passes the ball sideways and backwards, not really much but an addition to Tettey & Johnson option.

For a third year premiership team I would like us to go out and find a more solid signing to play alongside Johnson who is our midfield anchor. Add to this a young hungry skillful replacement for Wes and that would be my preference.

Still if signed would be happy enough and trust in our management team to get the right type of players in.

[quote user="Jersey Canary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Jack Flash"]I liked Fox in the Championship, but I cannot forget his display against the mighty Luton![/quote]
Ah yes, nice to see that one poor display from a guy who hadn''t had a regular game in months is enough to cancel out the seasons of great play and excellent service he''d already given us...

There really is no logic to some posters...
[/quote] I''m a season ticket older and I was amazed Fox got third in POTY last year. Fox is too lightweight, too slow in the pass and generally did nothing with the ball. Yes he is a good deliverer of the ball and yes he can pass sideways. Is he creative in OpenPlay? Does he score his fair share of goals? Does he have the required defensive qualities to complement the needed requirements of a modern day player? For me he''s one of these players who flatters to decieve. We have enough players in the team already,(Hoolahan being another) who flatter.. But where Hoolahan is different is we currently don''t have anyone better. I think rose tinted glasses are used by Fox supporters. He''s a decent championship player at best and that can be said for half our squad. Hughton will address this in the summer.[/quote]

Makes no difference if your a season ticket holder or not, everyone has his or her opinion, and I am a season ticket holder too, but for the record I can''t remember any match that Fox has played in that he has not given his all.

I would be cautious about buying any champs midfielder who is not truly exceptional.  

Our central midfield options are mainly champs based and all have really struggled to have an impact this season (Howson, Butterfield, Johnson to a lesser extent & Fox ) and is the reason we have struggled.   Buying another would remain a bit of  a risk. 

The only one who is not (Tettey) is the best defensive player option and we look better when he plays but he is a destructive player who keeps the ball safe (hence his excellent possession stats).

Hopefully we can buy better cheaper from the continent and at least one who will complement Tettey.

[quote user="Indy"]For a third year premiership team I would like us to go out and find a more solid signing to play alongside Johnson who is our midfield anchor. Add to this a young hungry skillful replacement for Wes and that would be my preference.[/quote]Although I''d choose Tettey over Johnno for the defensive role, I think either is fine in the position and both provide cover and competition for the role.The problem is the creative space alongside them, we need someone with the passing ability of Carrick, but the work rate and energy of our DM''s, and that does NOT come cheap. There are options out there, but I think we''d be looking at a similar sort of price to what we''ve paid for RVW to get the quality we really need and that brings it''s own risks as well.For me I think we''ve already got a player who can potentially perform in Wes'' position going forwards - Butterfield, the problem is that he''s been out injured and is totally unproven at this level, but if we''re in a game where we''re in control and there''s say 20 mins left and Wes is getting tired, give him the gametime to try to impress and show what he can offer. Also, both Benno and Snoddy can potentially do a job there as well if really needed.This along with the need to strengthen elsewhere, make it less of a priority than the aforementioned CM IMHO, and we should be focusing on another top striker, left back and possibly another winger to go with that all important CM.

Sorry for trolling guys. I hadn''t realised having an opinion that differs from others on a player was classed as trolling....

Anyway back to reality. Fox has had his chances. He came on against Arsenal to retain the ball and its from then on that I''ve lost my faith in him. He gave it away needlessly. Not to mention Luton. He''s been a great servant for the club (Portsmouth away) but I don''t see that as a reason to keep him and neither should anyone else.

Bridcutt is a younger, better option. No brainer for me and if we can demand a transfer fee for Fox then that''s great. He belongs in the Championship where he is a decent player.

Strange how everyone talks about Fox and Luton but no one mentions how good he was at Peterborough. Not saying he is good enough for the Prem as in my view none of us can know anymore.  But fairness dictates that if you''re going to kick a man for a poor game you should also acknowledge a good one.

[quote user="Nicko"]Sorry for trolling guys. I hadn''t realised having an opinion that differs from others on a player was classed as trolling....[/quote]Having a different opinion definitely isn''t trolling, but basing that opinion purely on a bad cup game where the team were terrible, and a 20 minute sub appearance surely IS!Fox has rarely put a foot wrong since arriving at the club, and whilst he is somewhat lightweight - so what? It''s not like players such as Messi and Hoolahan are made of steel, but their other attributes more than make up for this, and Fox is no different.Sure, we can carry on playing purely defensive midfielders who struggle to pass more than 5 yards (and that''s sideways or backwards), but then you can''t complain about poor distribution, lack of quality in the middle and a more negative approach to games...Bearing in mind how anonymous Howson has looked for most of the season, it amazes me that you''re going to slate Fox based on 2 games (1 as a later sub)!!!So either you''re trolling, or simply don''t have a clue - which is it going to be?

Have never really understood this love affair with Fox, he was goood for us, key word being was. Clearly we are looking to move to the next level as the signing of Wolfswinkel indicates, Fox, sadly is not in that level.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Nicko"]Sorry for trolling guys. I hadn''t realised having an opinion that differs from others on a player was classed as trolling....[/quote]Having a different opinion definitely isn''t trolling, but basing that opinion purely on a bad cup game where the team were terrible, and a 20 minute sub appearance surely IS!Fox has rarely put a foot wrong since arriving at the club, and whilst he is somewhat lightweight - so what? It''s not like players such as Messi and Hoolahan are made of steel, but their other attributes more than make up for this, and Fox is no different.Sure, we can carry on playing purely defensive midfielders who struggle to pass more than 5 yards (and that''s sideways or backwards), but then you can''t complain about poor distribution, lack of quality in the middle and a more negative approach to games...Bearing in mind how anonymous Howson has looked for most of the season, it amazes me that you''re going to slate Fox based on 2 games (1 as a later sub)!!!So either you''re trolling, or simply don''t have a clue - which is it going to be?[/quote]

It''s not just on 2 games, its his general ability that makes it hard for Hughton to pick him. You wouldn''t pick a goalkeeper that was just a penalty saving expert and below average at everything else? Players need a more rounded game in the Premier League.

The fact that Howson makes the first team over Fox speaks volumes about the quality needed. Howson just offers more on the pitch than Fox.

I have to say though, to say I don''t have a clue because you have a different opinion is ignorant. Sorry I wasted your time.

[quote user="Hog"]Have never really understood this love affair with Fox, he was goood for us, key word being was. Clearly we are looking to move to the next level as the signing of Wolfswinkel indicates, Fox, sadly is not in that level.[/quote]

Agree with that HOG, but not sure Birdcutt is moving on to the next level as he''s not really proven, at 23 isn''t really a youngster but moving into his prime as a player and I don''t think at 5ft 7 should be considered a holding midfielder. I would like to see a proven player already playing at a high level to push the current starting 11, not risking another championship player and hoping he makes it in this league.....Becchio and Butterfield are two who should show that not all championship players will make the step up.

[quote user="Hog"]Have never really understood this love affair with Fox, he was goood for us, key word being was.[/quote]But what evidence possibly leads you to this conclusion aside from Hughton seeming to prefer to play more defensive midfielders???The truth is that for most of the season Hughton has wanted to purely

defend, and for that role there are stronger options than Fox, nothing

more, nothing less.The only thing Fox appears to have done wrong this season is have the temerity to get injured in pre-season and then not get picked the rest of the time, despite our midfield having all the passing and creativity of a dessicated slug...(Oh, and had a poor game in the cup - what a crime!)

[quote user="Nicko"]The fact that Howson makes the first team over Fox

speaks volumes about the quality needed. Howson just offers more on the

pitch than Fox.[/quote]More nonsensical conjecture.If Hughton decided to play Chris Martin all season, does that make him a better striker than Grant Holt?If Bunn stays in goal despite Ruddy being fit next year does that make him a better keeper?What

Howson offers over Fox is a lot of running. He''s not offered much else

besides that, but he''ll run for 90 minutes no problem. And when your

manager is setting the team up to purely defend and get a goal via a set

piece or corner, then he''s not going to pick a creative passer in

midfield over a guy who''ll run himself into the ground because he

doesn''t give a damn about the attacking options he can offer.[quote]I

have to say though, to say I don''t have a clue because you have a

different opinion is ignorant. Sorry I wasted your time.[/quote]It''s

not ignorant, you''re basing your reasoning on Fox not being good enough

on a couple of games this season and the decision by Hughton to play

someone else instead, this in itself does NOT suddenly make Fox a poor

player who can''t hack it in the prem (as he proved last year he can),

all it shows it that he had a bad game and the manager prefers someone

different.Saying you think Fox should be moved on because

Hughton doesn''t want to utilise would make a certain degree of sense

(not point paying wages for a guy the manager will not play), but

claiming he''s simply not good enough doesn''t make sense, and doesn''t

have enough justification to make it a sensible opinion - and that''s why

I said you didn''t have a clue or were trolling...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Hog"]Have never really understood this love affair with Fox, he was goood for us, key word being was.[/quote]
But what evidence possibly leads you to this conclusion aside from Hughton seeming to prefer to play more defensive midfielders???

The truth is that for most of the season Hughton has wanted to purely defend, and for that role there are stronger options than Fox, nothing more, nothing less.

The only thing Fox appears to have done wrong this season is have the temerity to get injured in pre-season and then not get picked the rest of the time, despite our midfield having all the passing and creativity of a dessicated slug...

(Oh, and had a poor game in the cup - what a crime!)
[/quote]

I would like to think this is not entirely accurate Indy-Bones, as the management team train with the players every week and Fox has had the chance to show he should be picked, we have been playing a 5 man midfield most of the season and I would imagine that Fox has failed to show this creativity and passing that a lot of fans appear to think he has.....He does at, but I wasn''t too impressed with Fox last year as the premeirship quality does not allow the time on the ball you get in the lower leagues.

At 29 his time with us is over in my book and he will move on in the summer probably to Derby or Middlesborough type team.

Ok I''m going to have to wade through the b***s*** here:

Would ANYONE in the Premier League right now, have David Fox in their first team?