Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Pilks for the off ???

Look at Joe Allen. Really average player yet was supposedly worth 15m

I personally don''t think theres anything in this, other than agent / newspaper talk.We don''t need to sell, and I don''t think we would sell one of our best players to a close rival. Obviously if the player wants to go, we have no control over that, but Stoke?Nah.

If anything the new broadcasting deal will act to inflate both the value of our players and of our targets. On that basis a reported £4m valuation from Stoke is ludicrously low. However, one doesn''t typically start a negotiation for purchase of any asset based on highest valuation and the £4m should be viewed as such.

4 million is insulting and should be soundly laughed at by McNally and the board.When domestic player prices are as overpriced as they have been in recent years, the idea that one of the better wingers in the league should go for that amount is ridiculous.If Hughton wants to keep him (and I see ZERO reason he shouldn''t), then we should be saying something along the lines of "Come back with an additional 6 million on top of that derisory bid - and THEN we''ll talk"...

The cynic in me says this is the opening gambit for an improved contract. He is one of our better players so should be kept.  

[quote user="paul moy"]The cynic in me says this is the opening gambit for an improved contract. He is one of our better players so should be kept.  [/quote]Whilst I agree its possible, he''s hardly in a strong bargaining position based on how he has done this season.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="paul moy"]The cynic in me says this is the opening gambit for an improved contract. He is one of our better players so should be kept.  [/quote]

Whilst I agree its possible, he''s hardly in a strong bargaining position based on how he has done this season.
[/quote]

He''s been injured for most of it hasn''t he ?   When he did play I remember him scoring at least one great goal with his head which is a lot more than some others achieved !!  

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="paul moy"]The cynic in me says this is the opening gambit for an improved contract. He is one of our better players so should be kept.  [/quote]Whilst I agree its possible, he''s hardly in a strong bargaining position based on how he has done this season.[/quote]

He''s been injured for most of it hasn''t he ?   When he did play I remember him scoring at least one great goal with his head which is a lot more than some others achieved !!  

[/quote]Yeah he has, but regardless of the reason he isn''t in a position to make demands, on his current performance.I agree, he''s one of our best attacking threats, and he has been sorely missed, but if his agent had any nous he would have negotiated an improved deal at the end of last season.

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="paul moy"]The cynic in me says this is the opening gambit for an improved contract. He is one of our better players so should be kept.  [/quote]Whilst I agree its possible, he''s hardly in a strong bargaining position based on how he has done this season.[/quote]

[/quote]I really really love how you and others pick and choose which points they''ll remember about our season.Pilks has been very poor in certain away games this year and that means that no matter how the manager which you so clearly hate plays him, he is going to struggle!Bet you think it''s "Houghton''s" fault that Pilks has been injured dont you? Pathetic. The strikers will NOT score if the midfielders- (that does include Pilkington btw) do not give them the service regularly or good enough and the stats back up that midfield''s ball retention and therefore passing has been down this year.Not everything is "Houghton''s" fault...

="Grant Holt''s 3 year contract"]["paul moy"]

="morty"]"paul moy"]The cynic in me says this is the opening gambit for an improved contract. He is one of our better players so should be kept. Whilst I agree its possible, he''s hardly in a strong bargaining position based on how he has done this season.

I really really love how you and others pick and choose which points they''ll remember about our season.Pilks has been very poor in certain away games this year and that means that no matter how the manager which you so clearly hate plays him, he is going to struggle!Bet you think it''s "Houghton''s" fault that Pilks has been injured dont you? Pathetic. The strikers will NOT score if the midfielders- (that does include Pilkington btw) do not give them the service regularly or good enough and the stats back up that midfield''s ball retention and therefore passing has been down this year.Not everything is "Houghton''s" fault...

None of our players has been consistent this year, that is why we''ve done so poor.

[quote user="SYG"]Yes he is Morty, but that''s not to much of an achievement, we''re not a great attacking team!

Like I said, I like him, but £3.5m at the very max we could expect to get for him...[/quote]

I think you are a bit out there.

I''d say £5+million.

-He is on relatively low wages.

- Is still young.

- Is classed as a ''homegrown'' player.

- Is acclimatised to the premier league.

- Has effectively two years remaining on his contract.

- We don''t have to sell.

Also compare that to the likes of Bassong who cost around £3million if rumours are to be believed, who was into the last year of his contract and no longer wanted by Spurs. And to the likes of Snodgrass/Howson £1-2million who were also into the last year of their contracts and whom Leeds did not particularly want to sell.

£3million is quite an undervalue when you tally it all up. And that is before we even mention the increased amount of money teams in the premier league will have to spend for next season.

Pilks suffers in involvement as we so heavily prefer to attack down the right (game in game out,  even when snoddy playing on the left).

However Pilks is simply top quality - his goal scoring and assists per game are at snoddys level despite lack of ball and not taking set pieces (which account  for half our goals) - the quality of his delivery is imo thebest in teh club - not every time but you can be assured of a couple of good crosses per game that give us a chance.

We cant afford to lose his quality and passing ability, an area where the club suffers,  and his work rate defensively is top notch too.   I do struggle with anyone having the opinion that he should leave or is poor

He is one of the few with prem quality (not too many players will have other prem clubs interested in them this summer), we have missed him while injured and is a must keep for me. 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Pilks suffers in involvement as we so heavily prefer to attack down the right (game in game out,  even when snoddy playing on the left).

However Pilks is simply top quality - his goal scoring and assists per game are at snoddys level despite lack of ball and not taking set pieces (which account  for half our goals) - the quality of his delivery is imo thebest in teh club - not every time but you can be assured of a couple of good crosses per game that give us a chance.

We cant afford to lose his quality and passing ability, an area where the club suffers,  and his work rate defensively is top notch too.   I do struggle with anyone having the opinion that he should leave or is poor

He is one of the few with prem quality (not too many players will have other prem clubs interested in them this summer), we have missed him while injured and is a must keep for me. 

[/quote][Y]

Can''t see there being anything in this and I hope there''s not.

His biggest problem is clearly his consistency - which was just as up and down last season as it has been this season.

He scores some brilliant goals and makes top notch defenders looks like mugs but other times he''s a total passenger. Sometimes he puts in a shift and helps out his fullback (more than Snodgrass often does) and other times he can be a bit of a lazy bugger.

If he was on it every game he could play for a much bigger club. He''s a joy to watch when he''s on form.

[quote user="GJP"]

His biggest problem is clearly his consistency - which was just as up and down last season as it has been this season.

He scores some brilliant goals and makes top notch defenders looks like mugs but other times he''s a total passenger. Sometimes he puts in a shift and helps out his fullback (more than Snodgrass often does) and other times he can be a bit of a lazy bugger.

If he was on it every game he could play for a much bigger club. He''s a joy to watch when he''s on form.

[/quote]Or perhaps, picking up on an earlier observation by someone, away from home he is instructed to be slightly more defensive? I guess not knowing the brief from the manager means you could see this as him going missing, because he plays deeper.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

Or perhaps, picking up on an earlier observation by someone, away from home he is instructed to be slightly more defensive? I guess not knowing the brief from the manager means you could see this as him going missing, because he plays deeper.
[/quote]

Could be but sometimes you see it from him at home too.

Hard to judge him this season really because of the change of style and his injuries.

Pilkington would go for about £3.5m-4m in my opinion. However, I think he would be expecting a better club to move to than Stoke. Liverpool was talked about at one time.

I agree he''s not the player he was under Lambert, but that''s easy to spot. Pilkington thrived under our positive play. Now with more defensive tactics, he doesn''t have as much to do on the football pitch and doesn''t see as much of the ball.

Sad thing is he doesn''t seem to be confident anymore,

Always seems to be in two minds, I wonder why that is?

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Pilkington would go for about £3.5m-4m in my opinion. However, I think he would be expecting a better club to move to than Stoke. Liverpool was talked about at one time.

I agree he''s not the player he was under Lambert, but that''s easy to spot. Pilkington thrived under our positive play. Now with more defensive tactics, he doesn''t have as much to do on the football pitch and doesn''t see as much of the ball.[/quote]3.5 to 4 is laughable, that figure doubled is the minimal starting price.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Sad thing is he doesn''t seem to be confident anymore, Always seems to be in two minds, I wonder why that is?[/quote]

Why do you think that is?

Like most of the attacking players, in not attacking teams like we have in the past this could be misconstrued by players as mistrust in the job they could carry out for the team.

Which i guess then manifests into a lack of self belief, which as the season grows on radiates further?

That''s my theory anyway.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]£8m? For Pilkington? Never going to happen. £5m at the most.[/quote]So the guy we bought for a reported £2.5m with a broken leg from L1 is only worth £5m after scoring/providing goals in the PL? He has a two year contract too.  I''d argue at least £8m, with £10m an acceptable fee.  Scott Sinclair moved to Man City for £6.2m rising to £8m so can''t see why Pilks wouldn''t command at least the same.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

[quote user="Vanwink"]Sad thing is he doesn''t seem to be confident anymore, Always seems to be in two minds, I wonder why that is?[/quote]

Why do you think that is?

[/quote]

I think you do know really don''t you Warren!

£10m is now the quoted amount we want for Pilkington? Wow. Never ever going to happen.

If Sinclair went to City for £6.3m, why would we get £10m for Pilkington?

Which Pilks?

Are we talking about the man who created goals aplenty and scored a few good ones himself?

Or are we talking about the player who at times can seem only a spectator and not very involved in the game. He is the very opposite of Snoddy, through who most of our best attacks recently have passed.

Does he want to go? If we can get a good price - say £5m plus, we could let him go, despite the fact that the left wing is prably one of the hardest slots to fill. If by chance we were relegated and he wanted to go, though surely not Stoke - he must have more sense, perhaps there is a case for letting him go as we re-build. If we survive, he could yet play a role.