Sign in to follow this  
stoke canary

Pilks for the off ???

Is he really worth BIG money though?

I like him, and want him to stay!

Also got to think, is he in CH''s future plans?

Been fit for a while (according to the player himself) but is struggling to get any game time...

Id except nothing less than 7.5 million and would hope that it was also as a result of us getting some extremely highly rate up and comer to replace. But still cant see anything in this, none of our team need to leave for anything but silly money so long as we stay in this league.

[quote user="SYG"]Is he really worth BIG money though?

I like him, and want him to stay!

Also got to think, is he in CH''s future plans?

Been fit for a while (according to the player himself) but is struggling to get any game time...[/quote]I think, fully fit, he is one of our best attacking threats, and we have badly missed him while he has been out.I wouldn''t bet against him starting on Saturday, a case of Hughton keeping his powder dry.

We are short of wingers and Pilkington is the only real effective one on that left side, why would we sell him?

We have him contracted until summer 2014 but still have a 12 month option, so his contract effectively has 2 years remaining.

It seems a strange one to me if there is any truth in this. Surely we would then need to buy 2 left sided wingers? Snodgrass hasn''t looked the same since swapping sides. Good left sided wingers aren''t abundant or cheap.

Yes he is Morty, but that''s not to much of an achievement, we''re not a great attacking team!

Like I said, I like him, but £3.5m at the very max we could expect to get for him...

But its not really about his perceived worth, we don''t have to sell and Stoke isn''t exactly the holy grail of a footballers career, it''s nothing but a sideways step so i doubt he will clamoring to be allowed to move (unless theres some domestic issue).

So it all comes down to what he would cost to replace with equal or better talent. That figure is quite high I imagine.

This is assuming he is still in the manager''s plans next year, if CH wants to let him go to free up squad space then what we are prepared to accept will be lower, but i just can''t see Pilks being earmarked to move on. Doesn''t make much sense.

Didn''t we pay around £2.5m for him? When he was in League One? With a broken leg?

He''s now a proven Premier League goal scorer and goal maker and is one of the most naturally two footed players I''ve ever seen, his only downside is consistency but he''s still young and that could still come.

As long as we stay up we don''t need the money, and if we did I wouldn''t even sell his boots for £3.5m

Either way I will be surprised if he is a starter next season. We need tow wide players of some clout. I honestly can''t see that many clubs seriously interested in many of our players apart from those coming up.

If stoke are then fair play, but we can get a bit of money for a good player. I would have to say pilky, eb would be squad players next year. We need genuine threats down our flanks, in fact some have said kk could bea wide player if we play with rvw alone with two wide players joining up with the striker.

Can''t wait for the summer as new additions are needed and if players move on so best we need to improve our squad significantly

[quote user="smooth"]We need genuine threats down our flanks[/quote]And last season showed exactly how genuine a threat Pilks can be when not being told to defend 24/7.8 league goals from the wing, he''s fairly quick, two footed, not afraid to take a defender on, and he had one of the best - if not THE best, crossing accuracies in the league in that position - so what''s not a genuine threat about the guy???Hughton''s negative football has started to make even our best players look very average, and the idea that we should want to sell a player of Pilks'' ability and potential at this stage in his career is just madness (unless it''s a VERY good offer).

I''d be shocked and very disappointed if we even considered selling Pilks who is a genuine class act. I''d love to see him tried in the hole with Benno and Snodders on the wings, here''s a man who can not only beat a player but pick out a quality pass (with either foot) I could see our strikers finally getting some service from the middle of the park if we replaced Wesley with Pilks.

As mentioned, we bought him for around 2.5 million, took a chance on him from League 1. He is now a proven premiership player, so his value will be near 10 million. All other Premiership teams slap ridiculous price tags on their players, so we will too.

"smooth" - Either way I will be surprised if he is a starter next season. We need tow wide players of some clout. I honestly can''t see that many clubs seriously interested in many of our players apart from those coming up.

If stoke are then fair play, but we can get a bit of money for a good player. I would have to say pilky, eb would be squad players next year. We need genuine threats down our flanks, in fact some have said kk could bea wide player if we play with rvw alone with two wide players joining up with the striker.

Can''t wait for the summer as new additions are needed and if players move on so best we need to improve our squad significantly."

I agree. On his day a good player. But we need more consistency, more genuine pace and players who can be match winners on their day not just ''good'' players on their day.

I would not want to sell Pilks unless it was for very good money. That said he does blow hot and cold and away from home he often goes missing so if there was very good money on offer it would be tempting. I can see us bringing in a quick winger in the summer and I think Snoddy deserves to keep his place in the team next season so you would have to think Pilks may find himself coming off the bench more next season.

As others have said a prem winger who will get you half a dozen goals a season and the same in assists (as Pilks does) has to be worth at least £8m.

I''m amazed to read some peoples'' thoughts on this - when he is on his game I think Pilks has probably got more quality than anyone else in our squad. Good with both feet, good skill, pace, delivery and can finish.

He was in the top 30 goalscorers in the Prem last season (joint 13th I think tally wise), and has scored some important goals for us this season even though he has been out with injury. He''s still only 24 so that consistency the top players have may well be something he can add to his game.

Unless he''s unsettled, or the offer is silly money, there''s no way I would be even considering offers for him. Much less to Stoke.

Bring more quality in over the Summer at the expense of fringe players, not our first team.

We paid 2.5m for Pilkington which was due to rise to 3.5m dependant on success. Which I think has been reached. So anything below 3.5m is a no go for me. Weren''t Liverpool interested last year for about 7-8m?

And Indy, Pilks doesn''t defend 24/7 in fact he''s probably more attack this season as half the time it was Holt doing his defending for him and Pilks staying forward.

Oh yeah. Still, how much did they pay?

And who''s the one Stoke bought but dont''t play? The other Wolves one.

[quote user="SYG"]Yes he is Morty, but that''s not to much of an achievement, we''re not a great attacking team!

Like I said, I like him, but £3.5m at the very max we could expect to get for him...[/quote]LMAO £3.5m?!Proven goal scorer from the wing, good leap, plus strong set pieces and a great ball into the box.  He''s worth at least £10m of anyone''s money.

Yeah it was about 10m.

Stoke paid loads for Palacios and a bit for Kightly who I think you''re on about!