Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Hughton haters who do you want to replace?

[quote user="ABC - A Basingstoke Canary"]Also looking forward to seeing some of the posters comments next season when we are in a top 10 position - I imagine a plethora of "I always trusted CH" and "He was always my 1st choice" etc etc![/quote]If Hughton stays, the football improves and we are in that position, then I certainly won''t be saying that I always trusted the guy etc, I''ll instead be honest enough to admit that I was wrong in doubting him and give him full credit for turning things around.Like many others, I also don''t like the thread title, because I don''t ''Hate'' Hughton, I''m simply concerned about the way we''ve played this season, the slow speed to change things when we''re behind and what seems to be a much more defensive and less aesthetically pleasing style of football than I would like to see and think we are more than capable of. Outside of this, his professional manner in interviews, conduct and even self presentation is first class, I just want the bloody football to be better [:D]

Indy Bones, I think we all want the football to be better - and I suspect that includes CH! (His references to "not having the quality...." are probably indicative of the constraints that he has to operate within)

I will admit that I was quite neutral when he was appointed, however, my respect for the man has grown as the season has progressed.

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]

Indy Bones, I think we all want the football to be better - and I suspect that includes CH! (His references to "not having the quality...." are probably indicative of the constraints that he has to operate within)

I will admit that I was quite neutral when he was appointed, however, my respect for the man has grown as the season has progressed.

[/quote]^^^This.He has had to cut his cloth accordingly. I fully support him, but if he has his chance to spend in the summer and things don''t improve pretty quickly next season, then I will be asking questions.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"] 

My alternatives are:

1. If we go down: Uwe Rosler as I think he is a Lambert in the making and done a great job at Brentford losing out on automatic promotion by just a missed penalty.

2. If we stay up, Brighton go up and Wigan go down: Martinez (despite the personal capital there he will leave at some point and with a bigger club behind him I reckon he will craft a good side here)

3. If we stay up, Brighton stay down and Wigan go down: Poyet.

[/quote]Really?This is the same manager who has brought in expensive foreign players, plays expansive exciting football apparently and yet failed to finish any higher than fifteenth with Wigan and struggles against relegation every season. No thanks!

Dynamics could be very different for Martinez come the end of May. Not many better jobs than ours available in the Prem at the moment if CH is gone. Frankly though it is all academic as, sadly, I would be absolutely staggered if McNally got rid of CH if we stayed up despite what many on here think.

What about Worthy then? He liked playing "take it in turns football" with the best in the land. Truth is it''s about winning football. Not defensive or attacking or long ball or passing. Because ultimately you only come here when we''re losing Foggy[:O]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Jose Mourinho obviously. He''s the only manager who will get anywhere near the level of football some Norwich fans expect.[/quote]

For once that statement is so true GP

[quote user="morty"]He has had to cut his cloth accordingly. I fully support him, but if he has his chance to spend in the summer and things don''t improve pretty quickly next season, then I will be asking questions.[/quote]
That about summarises my point of view too.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="ABC - A Basingstoke Canary"]Also looking forward to seeing some of the posters comments next season when we are in a top 10 position - I imagine a plethora of "I always trusted CH" and "He was always my 1st choice" etc etc![/quote]If Hughton stays, the football improves and we are in that position, then I certainly won''t be saying that I always trusted the guy etc, I''ll instead be honest enough to admit that I was wrong in doubting him and give him full credit for turning things around.Like many others, I also don''t like the thread title, because I don''t ''Hate'' Hughton, I''m simply concerned about the way we''ve played this season, the slow speed to change things when we''re behind and what seems to be a much more defensive and less aesthetically pleasing style of football than I would like to see and think we are more than capable of. Outside of this, his professional manner in interviews, conduct and even self presentation is first class, I just want the bloody football to be better [:D][/quote]
But you wouldn''t have been wrong in doubting him. At the moment doubts and worries are justified, if next season he pulls his finger that doesn''t mean you were wrong in doubting him when things weren''t going well. [;)]

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="morty"] He has had to cut his cloth accordingly. I fully support him, but if he has his chance to spend in the summer and things don''t improve pretty quickly next season, then I will be asking questions.[/quote]That about summarises my point of view too.[/quote]

Me too.  People were on Hughton''s back even before the season started and haven''t got off it since.  Talk about giving the bloke a chance. One season to consolidate, second season to develop, third season to see the best.  

[quote user="lake district canary"]

One season to consolidate, second season to develop, third season to see the best.   

[/quote]

I think 99% of people would agree with that.

The reasosn so many are questioning him is because they fear that that consolidation might not be achieved. No one is complaining because he didn''t turn our 7th place in December into a Champions League spot, it''s because they fear he might be turning that 7th place into a relegation spot.

I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

One season to consolidate, second season to develop, third season to see the best.     [/quote]

The reasosn so many are questioning him is because they fear that that consolidation might not be achieved. No one is complaining because he didn''t turn our 7th place in December into a Champions League spot, it''s because they fear he might be turning that 7th place into a relegation spot.

[/quote]I think people need to temper their expectations. I think a vast majority got very carried away with our success in recent times and thought it would never end.I seriously believe that some folks were expecting European football this season lol.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

One season to consolidate, second season to develop, third season to see the best.   

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think people need to temper their expectations. I think a vast majority got very carried away with our success in recent times and thought it would never end.

I seriously believe that some folks were expecting European football this season lol.
[/quote]

Can I point to Swansea Morty, why should we not expect to be in Europe?

Seriously, there have been so many people on here talking about us finfishing in the top 10. Most of us knew it would be a long season and we still sit 6 points above Wigan with 4 games left for Wigan to catch and overtake us, which probably won''t happen.

It hase been a good seaosn considering we have been consitantly 7 points above the bottom 3 most of the time.......

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

One season to consolidate, second season to develop, third season to see the best.     [/quote]

[/quote]I think people need to temper their expectations. I think a vast majority got very carried away with our success in recent times and thought it would never end.I seriously believe that some folks were expecting European football this season lol.[/quote]

Seriously, there have been so many people on here talking about us finfishing in the top 10. Most of us knew it would be a long season and we still sit 6 points above Wigan with 4 games left for Wigan to catch and overtake us, which probably won''t happen.

It hase been a good seaosn considering we have been consitantly 7 points above the bottom 3 most of the time.......

[/quote]Swanseas luck will run out, they haven''t suddenly become a "big" team.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="kick it off"][quote user="morty"] He has had to cut his cloth accordingly. I fully support him, but if he has his chance to spend in the summer and things don''t improve pretty quickly next season, then I will be asking questions.
[/quote]That about summarises my point of view too.[/quote]

Me too.  People were on Hughton''s back even before the season started and haven''t got off it since.  Talk about giving the bloke a chance.

[/quote]

And if he fails even to achieve this, then what?[^o)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Indy"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think people need to temper their expectations. I think a vast majority got very carried away with our success in recent times and thought it would never end.

I seriously believe that some folks were expecting European football this season lol.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Swanseas luck will run out, they haven''t suddenly become a "big" team.
[/quote]

There''s no basis to many of the assumptions made when comparing season to season. Newcastle were close to Champions League last year. Yes they lost Demba Ba but they signed players and had continuation of manager and momentum. Last season''s performance has little bearing on this season''s. And this season''s has little bearing on next. I doubt Laudrup continued with Rogers methods aseffectively as Pardew continued with his own. Just because Swansea have had a good season doesn''t mean it''s linked with what went before any more than our season isn''t linked with what went before. They say a week is a long time in football. Well a season is an eternity.

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

You can blame City 1st for that :-)

Seriously though, I doubt anyone was really expecting that given the upheaval we faced in the summer. I don''t think it''s so much the losing of games that bothers people, that''s to be expected at this level, but what really grinds peoples gears is the manner of some of the defeats. Going to our fellow strugglers like Wigan and Stoke at this crucial stage of the season and not having a single shot on target in either simply isn''t good enough, especially when people have paid very good money to go and watch. I don''t think it''s an unrealistic expectation to want to see us have a go. If we''d have lost 1-0 at Stoke and their keeper had played a blinder and made some world class saves then I don''t think you''d have seen anywhere near the level of hysteria that''s been seen on here this week.

Well exactly.Its fine to have hopes, if we didn''t all start the season hoping we''re going to do well, then theres really no point in getting out of bed in the morning.But they have to be tempered with a modicum of common sense and logic, which unfortunately most football fans don''t seem to have.All you can do is keep your cup half full and hope for the best.[:)]

[quote user="morty"]

I think people need to temper their expectations. I think a vast majority got very carried away with our success in recent times and thought it would never end.I seriously believe that some folks were expecting European football this season lol.

[/quote]

Seriously though, I doubt anyone was really expecting that given the upheaval we faced in the summer. I don''t think it''s so much the losing of games that bothers people, that''s to be expected at this level, but what really grinds peoples gears is the manner of some of the defeats. Going to our fellow strugglers like Wigan and Stoke at this crucial stage of the season and not having a single shot on target in either simply isn''t good enough, especially when people have paid very good money to go and watch. I don''t think it''s an unrealistic expectation to want to see us have a go. If we''d have lost 1-0 at Stoke and their keeper had played a blinder and made some world class saves then I don''t think you''d have seen anywhere near the level of hysteria that''s been seen on here this week.

[/quote]There are so many more factors afoot though, and anyone with a little bit of nous should be able to see that.How many good sides go to Stoke and get turned over?I saw a quote yesterday along the lines of "yeah he is a good player, but can he go away to Stoke on a wet Tuesday night and perform there?" Going away to Stoke has become the tie that a lot of clubs dread, much the same way as going away to Wimbledon did. Couple in the fact the players are nervously looking over their shoulders at the league table (much the same as we are) then frankly, for me, the performance and result at Stoke comes as no great surprise.Its fine to be disappointed, but for God''s sake think it all through and look at the reasons why it happened before you bash your keyboard.

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And what if we''d lost 4-0 or 5-0? Why does a more positive approach always entail us conceding the same but scoring more? What about if we''d lost 1-0 to Newcastle and Fulham? This positive approach that we all would like comes with no guarantees of more points. And comparisons with last season are really irrelevant. Lambert didn''t fancy it did he?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="kick it off"][quote user="morty"] He has had to cut his cloth accordingly. I fully support him, but if he has his chance to spend in the summer and things don''t improve pretty quickly next season, then I will be asking questions.[/quote]That about summarises my point of view too.[/quote]

Me too.  People were on Hughton''s back even before the season started and haven''t got off it since.  Talk about giving the bloke a chance. One season to consolidate, second season to develop, third season to see the best.  

[/quote]I partly agree, but this is far from being a ubiquitous rule-of-thumb for management. Additionally it seems to be a rule that''s dependent on circumstance more than anything.Applying it to Lambert for example wouldn''t work since, quite obviously, consolidation was never on the agenda, and any long term plans for development were only in place as a result of his own success, as he scaled the English leagues. Not because he was trying to create his ''own'' team (or if he was it was merely incidental), but that he was trying to reach the standards of quality demanded by our league position.No one on here was likely to bring up this particular rule during his tenure.In the case of Roeder, this either wasn''t the case, or was fundamentally wrong if it was, seeing as our stature as a club deteriorated season upon season as he got closer and closer to developing his ''own'' team. If he was granted any such generous space to continue working by the club it was undoubtedly critically harmful to us.Again, i wouldn''t think many would have brought this rule up during his reign, and if any did, it was (in hindsight) plain wrong to do so.I think the moral of this story goes along the lines that every situation is in one way or another unique, and we can only hope such codes, (that are far from being objective truths) achieve the most appropriate balance of patience and intolerance for our own success in the long run.Having said all that, providing we stay up, i''d also give Hughton at least a further season, though if we reach Christmas without any notable evidence of improvement i''d think it best we try our luck with someone else.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And what if we''d lost 4-0 or 5-0? Why does a more positive approach always entail us conceding the same but scoring more? What about if we''d lost 1-0 to Newcastle and Fulham? This positive approach that we all would like comes with no guarantees of more points. And comparisons with last season are really irrelevant. Lambert didn''t fancy it did he?

[/quote]

Quite.

What division are Blackpool in again? But wasn''t it exciting!!!!

With regard to Lambert, the man has no class as he has demonstrated to us in his actions both on and off the pitch in the last 12 months, he was an integral part of what we achieved and thanks for that but I couldn''t care less what happens to him now and I don''t miss him one bit.

@Warren Hill - perfectly summed up my thoughts too re Paul Lambert. A great manager who is classless in the way he conducts himself with football clubs. What goes around comes around though and one day he will get his, and deserve it.

For me, without ploughing through all of the posts, Hughton will stay even if we are relegated and I suppose that would be the right thing to do seeing as he has a track record of doing well in the league below.