Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Hughton haters who do you want to replace?

[quote user="Hannibal II"]wouldn''t call 2 wins since the 15th of December 3 poor shows....[/quote]

No.. I was calling the 3 games that were mentioned 3 poor shows. [8-|]

Perhaps Villa may come in for Hughton if they go down...

Its not a question of what i believe Villa have never been relegated from the perm, they have a ground that holds 40k plus and have won the european cup all that is much more important to them being a bigger club that us winning the milk cup once upon a time. It wasn''t long ago Villa were challenging for a champions league spot. These are cold hard facts. We have potential to be a bigger club than we are but Villa have the potential to be massive if you get it right there. As for this season Rome wasn''t built in a day on both parts i guess. I think the fact we are so dire to watch 90% of the time does Hughton no favours.

I''m not disputing those facts Hanni. But I think they make Hughton''s current advantage over Lambert quite impressive. What say you?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Truculent Trucker"]I don''t hate Hughton but I do hate his boring style of football, it''s about as exciting as watching people playing snap! I''d like Gus Poyet as his replacement.[/quote]

But then what if Poyet looked at the situation and decided to adopt Hughton''s style of play?

I honestly don''t get the idea that hughton built this season around the style of play he wanted to adopt. I think it''s more likely that he looked at what he had and adopted this style of play for this season. It might prove to be a stroke of genius.

[/quote]

Not saying it was definitive, but I wonder how much influence the Fulham result had on our style of play in the rest of the season?

That being said we were playing this way in pre-season.

[/quote]

Let''s just imagine that we played like Villa, QPR, Wigan or Reading. Would that have been the right thing to do? Of course we will never know. But the idea that we should sack Hughton for the style he has played this season (not results) is crazy.The next logical step to that argument would be to appoint Poyet and dictate to him how he should play but hold him responsible for the results that style brings. Would he take the job?

[/quote]

I think the point is that Hughton has struggled to find a balance in recent months. Playing 3 DM''s and failing to have a shot on target for the 3rd time this season isn''t really good enough, whether you''re Reading or United, and it''s to be expected that as the manager he''s criticised for that.

[/quote]

Is it? So we should sack Hughton for 3 poor shows and ignore where we finish in the league! Crazy!!

[/quote]

Firstly, don''t twist my words. I said it''s to be expected that he''s criticised for our poor run of form, not sacked. Secondly, unless I''m missing something, where we finish in the league hasn''t been determined yet. According to my maths, with 3 games left we could still finish as low as 18th, granted we could possibly finish in the top 10, but given our awful form (and I''m not prepared to debate that with you, it has been awful) I''d say that was highly unlikely. I''m not calling for Hughton''s head, but I don''t think he''s done a very good job since December.

If you think he has then I''d suggest it''s you who might be crazy.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Truculent Trucker"]I don''t hate Hughton but I do hate his boring style of football, it''s about as exciting as watching people playing snap! I''d like Gus Poyet as his replacement.[/quote]

But then what if Poyet looked at the situation and decided to adopt Hughton''s style of play?

I honestly don''t get the idea that hughton built this season around the style of play he wanted to adopt. I think it''s more likely that he looked at what he had and adopted this style of play for this season. It might prove to be a stroke of genius.

[/quote]

Not saying it was definitive, but I wonder how much influence the Fulham result had on our style of play in the rest of the season?

That being said we were playing this way in pre-season.

[/quote]

Let''s just imagine that we played like Villa, QPR, Wigan or Reading. Would that have been the right thing to do? Of course we will never know. But the idea that we should sack Hughton for the style he has played this season (not results) is crazy.The next logical step to that argument would be to appoint Poyet and dictate to him how he should play but hold him responsible for the results that style brings. Would he take the job?

[/quote]

I think the point is that Hughton has struggled to find a balance in recent months. Playing 3 DM''s and failing to have a shot on target for the 3rd time this season isn''t really good enough, whether you''re Reading or United, and it''s to be expected that as the manager he''s criticised for that.

[/quote]

Is it? So we should sack Hughton for 3 poor shows and ignore where we finish in the league! Crazy!!

[/quote]

Firstly, don''t twist my words. I said it''s to be expected that he''s criticised for our poor run of form, not sacked. Secondly, unless I''m missing something, where we finish in the league hasn''t been determined yet. According to my maths, with 3 games left we could still finish as low as 18th, granted we could possibly finish in the top 10, but given our awful form (and I''m not prepared to debate that with you, it has been awful) I''d say that was highly unlikely. I''m not calling for Hughton''s head, but I don''t think he''s done a very good job since December.

If you think he has then I''d suggest it''s you who might be crazy.

[/quote]

Why are you on this thread then!! Jeez Brownie... are you advocating we replace the guy but keep him too [;)]

There are two popular threads running at the top of this board advocating we replace our manager. It''s incredible that with 3 games to go that can be seen as supporting the club. My original point was that a new manager could well adopt Hughton''s style of play. Having gone around the houses with you it seems you pretty much agree.

I think we have probably gone backward from last year and in honesty. I think villa have finally started to turn it around after the shambles that Villa were last season. Given the choice i would much rather be in our position at the moment than theirs but i would probably feel a little easier if i was a villa fan on Sat than a Norwich one. Its a proper 6 pointer though thats for sure.

I''m probably missing the point, but I doubt that many people advocate sacking Hughton today. They would rather he went when the season is over. Or do they believe in the "New manager syndrome"?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Why are you on this thread then!! Jeez Brownie... are you advocating we replace the guy but keep him too [;)]

There are two popular threads running at the top of this board advocating we replace our manager. It''s incredible that with 3 games to go that can be seen as supporting the club. My original point was that a new manager could well adopt Hughton''s style of play. Having gone around the houses with you it seems you pretty much agree.

[/quote]

I''m on this thread because I read your comment and felt I needed to address it, I''ll be sure to ask your permission first next time. Perhaps you''ve spent too much time playing Forum Moderator 2013.

I haven''t gone round the houses at all, and I don''t agree either. It is my opinion that Hughton and his team have underperformed since December, and that with a more positive approach in numerous games we could have been safe weeks ago with the likes of Swansea and West Brom. He seems to be so preoccupied with stopping the opposition playing, that he''s neglected that side of our own game which has resulted the many inert attacking performances we''ve put on in recent months. My personal opinion is that, provided we stay up, Hughton should be given the opportunity to build his squad over the summer. Should the first couple of months of next season go the same way as the last 4 or 5 months of this season then that would be the correct time to consider his future. Just so we''re clear.

As for the issue of supporting our club, we''ll see on Saturday, but I''d wager that for 90 minutes we''ll all be right behind the team as we were against Reading, regardless of our opinion on whether Hughton is the right man to take us forward. He doesn''t read this message board so there''s no harm in supporters who are genuinely concerned that our slide down the table might end up in the R word, discussing whether they think he''s doing a good job or not, if that''s ok with you, obviously.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I''m on this thread because I read your comment and felt I needed to address it, I''ll be sure to ask your permission first next time. Perhaps you''ve spent too much time playing Forum Moderator 2013.

I haven''t gone round the houses at all, and I don''t agree either. It is my opinion that Hughton and his team have underperformed since December, and that with a more positive approach in numerous games we could have been safe weeks ago with the likes of Swansea and West Brom. He seems to be so preoccupied with stopping the opposition playing, that he''s neglected that side of our own game which has resulted the many inert attacking performances we''ve put on in recent months. My personal opinion is that, provided we stay up, Hughton should be given the opportunity to build his squad over the summer. Should the first couple of months of next season go the same way as the last 4 or 5 months of this season then that would be the correct time to consider his future. Just so we''re clear.

As for the issue of supporting our club, we''ll see on Saturday, but I''d wager that for 90 minutes we''ll all be right behind the team as we were against Reading, regardless of our opinion on whether Hughton is the right man to take us forward. He doesn''t read this message board so there''s no harm in supporters who are genuinely concerned that our slide down the table might end up in the R word, discussing whether they think he''s doing a good job or not, if that''s ok with you, obviously.

[/quote]

What is it with some of you guys wanting to take debate into personal arguments? I couldn''t care less but I''ll give you one more chance before I get stuck in and enjoy myself.

The point I made was that Poyet, or any other new manager come to that, won''t want to be hamstrung by style of play being dictated to him. The premier league is hard enough without that. If we finish out of the relegation places it will be a massive achievement.

To address your new points there''s no certainty we''d improve on our 38 points with these new positive tactics you advocate. Yes we may have got more points from some games but that could easily, and I believe would easily, have been compensated by points lost in others.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What is it with some of you guys wanting to take debate into personal arguments? I couldn''t care less but I''ll give you one more chance before I get stuck in and enjoy myself.

The point I made was that Poyet, or any other new manager come to that, won''t want to be hamstrung by style of play being dictated to him. The premier league is hard enough without that. If we finish out of the relegation places it will be a massive achievement.

To address your new points there''s no certainty we''d improve on our 38 points with these new positive tactics you advocate. Yes we may have got more points from some games but that could easily, and I believe would easily, have been compensated by points lost in others.

[/quote]

Hang on, you question why I''m posting my opinion and then wonder why I take offence at it?! That particular phrase I used not ring any bells Nutty...

As for your last paragraph, I''d agree to an extent, however I could give you 8 games we''ve drawn where I feel we didn''t do all we could to win the game. If we''d have had the same result in 4 of those, lost 2 (as you say, certainly a possibilty when you''re chasing the game) and won 2, we''d be 2 points better off and safe. I sincerely hope our over cautious approach over the 2nd half of the season doesn''t backfire.

Funny this thread, as pre Christmas and the WBA game, all of us really enjoyed the run of 10 games, we played some good football and ground out results too.

That 4 game run over Christmas really knowcked the stuffing out of the team, management and lead to us becoming a more defence minded team to ensure we picked up the points needed to survive. If that''s the manager fault or the players is irrelevent, job done if we finish top 17 in this league.

Now for the point, pre WBA away not one person in their right mind would have wanted to change the manager and the run was fantastic. Given we have only lost 3 games at home all year again re-inforces the opinion to keep who we have and let him develope the team & add to the squad for next year.

Then we have the run since WBA away, we have played the poorest football of any team in this league, three games where we failed to get a shot on target and 1 game I believe we actually failed to get any shot on or off target! We have only won 2 game out of the last 17 and ap it all off just terrible to watch. I have to agree post Christmas I believe it would be very difficult to defend Hughton, I believe Worthy had a better record second half of his premiership capmapign.

So is there any real point to this, well asking me if I would like someone else in for next season, then NO, but I would appreciate another attacking quality coach added to the staff and a new style adopted for next season.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hang on, you question why I''m posting my opinion and then wonder why I take offence at it?! That particular phrase I used not ring any bells Nutty...

As for your last paragraph, I''d agree to an extent, however I could give you 8 games we''ve drawn where I feel we didn''t do all we could to win the game. If we''d have had the same result in 4 of those, lost 2 (as you say, certainly a possibilty when you''re chasing the game) and won 2, we''d be 2 points better off and safe. I sincerely hope our over cautious approach over the 2nd half of the season doesn''t backfire.

[/quote]

We could go round and round in circles forever. I''m not questioning why you''re posting your opinion. I''m questioning whether it would be right for a new manager or indeed the present manager to be hamstrung by conditions about style of play.

So that I''m not misrepresenting you any further. Am I right to think that you are now advocating that the manager should change his tactics in certain games that you decide in hindsight?

What I have noticed the manager do is become more attacking when we are behind in games. The Everton games are a case in point and 4 points gained was the result. Yes he could have risked losing the point in some home games this season but every single point in this league is unbelievably valuable. If we''d have lost 0-1 to Newcastle the situation would be worse right now. I guess the ultimate judgement will be made through our final league position. Most posters on here said they would be happy with 17th before a ball was kicked this season.

[quote user="Indy"]

Funny this thread, as pre Christmas and the WBA game, all of us really enjoyed the run of 10 games, we played some good football and ground out results too.

That 4 game run over Christmas really knowcked the stuffing out of the team, management and lead to us becoming a more defence minded team to ensure we picked up the points needed to survive. If that''s the manager fault or the players is irrelevent, job done if we finish top 17 in this league.

Now for the point, pre WBA away not one person in their right mind would have wanted to change the manager and the run was fantastic. Given we have only lost 3 games at home all year again re-inforces the opinion to keep who we have and let him develope the team & add to the squad for next year.

Then we have the run since WBA away, we have played the poorest football of any team in this league, three games where we failed to get a shot on target and 1 game I believe we actually failed to get any shot on or off target! We have only won 2 game out of the last 17 and ap it all off just terrible to watch. I have to agree post Christmas I believe it would be very difficult to defend Hughton, I believe Worthy had a better record second half of his premiership capmapign.

So is there any real point to this, well asking me if I would like someone else in for next season, then NO, but I would appreciate another attacking quality coach added to the staff and a new style adopted for next season.

[/quote]

This is exactly right!

In the context of the last 4 months Hughton hasn''t covered himself in glory and would probably deserve the boot in the cut-throat world of the Premier League.

In the context of the entire season he is achieving above expectations and deserves to be given the summer to build the squad.

Hughton has had a very difficult job at Norwich this year and it should not be underestimated - he inhertied a squad that had lost their iconic manager, who had been working with most of them for a 2nd or 3rd season, the entire defence apart from Russell Martin had left, striking options were incredibly thin and they had massively overachieved the previous season.

He brought in some excellent additions for minimal transfer spend and added a couple of players in other areas that have had good moments through the season. To be honest, I can''t think of many other managers Norwich could have brought in last summer who would have performed as well with so little (this appears to be Hughton''s speciality).

For whatever reason the 2nd half of this season hasn''t been as successful as the first half and this is an issue that will have to be addressed over the summer - lack of action in January has obviously had a knock on effect. Although there have been bright moments like the game against Tottenham at home were Norwich were in control and good for the win apart from a piece of Bale excellence and Arsenal away were Norwich weren''t looking hugely troubled until the very end of the game. I doubt if Norwich hadn''t already had the points on the board that the home games against Fulham and Newcastle would be so negative.

We can argue about whether Lambert would have done a better job all day, but in truth we will never know. I suspect he left as he knew that this season was going to be much tougher than the previous one and he had got pretty much all he could out of the Norwich squad - I also think a few players snubbing Norwich prefering moves to larger clubs had an effect.

When Norwich reach safety and maintain their Premier League status it will be a massive success for a club that has a tiny wage bill compared to Sunderland, Villa and QPR. It would have been lovely to do this playing free flowing football and being the media''s darlings like Swansea and WBA but that will come in time.

There are no managers out there I would rather have than Hughton to be honest.

I do find this the most annoying of questions.    If the team are not performing well should we have manager inertia simply because we cant agree on an alternative?     There are dozens of candidates - all with some claim yet none that will get universal appeal.  

Three things for me

1. McNally would find the right candidate should we take the decision to relieve Hughton of his duties 
  2. I do not think we should sack Hughton;  I remain confident we will substantially improve next season when he has his squad.
  3. There have been too many poor performances this season - more than 3 in April alone.

We could go round and round in circles forever. I''m not questioning why you''re posting your opinion. I''m questioning whether it would be right for a new manager or indeed the present manager to be hamstrung by conditions about style of play.

So that I''m not misrepresenting you any further. Am I right to think that you are now advocating that the manager should change his tactics in certain games that you decide in hindsight?

What I have noticed the manager do is become more attacking when we are behind in games. The Everton games are a case in point and 4 points gained was the result. Yes he could have risked losing the point in some home games this season but every single point in this league is unbelievably valuable. If we''d have lost 0-1 to Newcastle the situation would be worse right now. I guess the ultimate judgement will be made through our final league position. Most posters on here said they would be happy with 17th before a ball was kicked this season.

[/quote]

Er...

Why are you on this thread then!! Jeez Brownie...

[/quote]

Glad we cleared that up then.

Of course I''m not suggesting Hughton change his tactics in games I decide in hindsight, don''t be so absurd, I think most of us new at the time that Fulham and Newcastle (to name just a couple) were there for the taking, and there was certainly a feeling at the time that it was 2 points dropped rather than a point gained.

Are we guaranteed to finish 17th yet then?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

Er...

Why are you on this thread then!! Jeez Brownie...

[/quote]

Glad we cleared that up then.

Of course I''m not suggesting Hughton change his tactics in games I decide in hindsight, don''t be so absurd, I think most of us new at the time that Fulham and Newcastle (to name just a couple) were there for the taking, and there was certainly a feeling at the time that it was 2 points dropped rather than a point gained.

Are we guaranteed to finish 17th yet then?

[/quote]

Obvious to you. What was obvious to me was that we were coping with both those teams and were the most likely side to get 3 points. Of course it could all be about Fulham and Newcastles failings as you suggest. Or it could be about what we were doing on the pitch as I suggest.

I must admit I haven''t trawled through the five page thread, but I do take issue with its title.

I wouldn''t think there is any NCFC supporter who ''hates'' Hughton. He must be one of the most respected managers by home fans, and one of the least offensive to away fans that you can possibly get.

There may be a lot of fans who believe that he has lost his way since Christmas, and failed to progress a squad which finished comfortably mid-table last season (and lets not start all the bollo**s about Championship standard players over-achieving - the players got to the PL on merit and proved they were good enough to stay there).

To use the word ''hate'' is both ridiculous and unnecessary.

Agreed unique. As is to have threads advocating sacking him and replacing him with 3 games left and our premier league future firmly in our hands.

Obvious to you. What was obvious to me was that we were coping with both those teams and were the most likely side to get 3 points. Of course it could all be about Fulham and Newcastles failings as you suggest. Or it could be about what we were doing on the pitch as I suggest.

[/quote]

What does that get you at the end of the season?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[/quote]

What does that get you at the end of the season?

[/quote]

Still to be seen. But it gets you 38 points with 3 games to play. What does your alrernative get?

[quote user="Man Who Stares At Goats"]Roberto Di Matteo please....

[/quote]because a manager who has won the Champions League with one of the biggest clubs in Europe is going to come to Norwich isn''t he?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]because a manager who has won the Champions League with one of the biggest clubs in Europe is going to come to Norwich isn''t he?[/quote]Why not?It''s not like he''s a world class manager who''s spent the last 20 years at the best clubs in the game.He inherited a very good Chelsea team, got a great result in the CL, but then couldn''t keep up the standard in the league.Thinking people like Di Matteo are too good for us is very much back in the "little ''ol Naaridge" mindset...

Thinking people like Di Matteo are too good for us is very much back in the "little ''ol Naaridge" mindset...

Are you ffing serious?

[quote user="unique"]I must admit I haven''t trawled through the five page thread, but I do take issue with its title. I wouldn''t think there is any NCFC supporter who ''hates'' Hughton. He must be one of the most respected managers by home fans, and one of the least offensive to away fans that you can possibly get. There may be a lot of fans who believe that he has lost his way since Christmas, and failed to progress a squad which finished comfortably mid-table last season (and lets not start all the bollo**s about Championship standard players over-achieving - the players got to the PL on merit and proved they were good enough to stay there). To use the word ''hate'' is both ridiculous and unnecessary.[/quote]

Well I don''t hate the man as such, but I do hate the fact that he is our manager![:|]

I don''t hate Hughton but I do think he should leave in the summer as the squad has under achieved and I don''t see any signs of progress to be extrapolated into next season. To those that deny this then why did we not kick on when we were 7th and well clear of relegation? The pressure was off and we could have seen this expansive free flowing game that some hope is going to miraculously transpire in August. If anyone seriously thinks things will be different next season then I hope they are right of course, but I would like to see a reasoned argument as to what will change and why.

My alternatives are:

1. If we go down: Uwe Rosler as I think he is a Lambert in the making and done a great job at Brentford losing out on automatic promotion by just a missed penalty.

2. If we stay up, Brighton go up and Wigan go down: Martinez (despite the personal capital there he will leave at some point and with a bigger club behind him I reckon he will craft a good side here)

3. If we stay up, Brighton stay down and Wigan go down: Poyet.

I''m with BYG on this - especially re his last sentence:

"There are no managers out there I would rather have than Hughton to be honest."

I also agree with his 3rd to last sentence:

"We can argue about whether Lambert would have done a better job all day, but in truth we will never know. I suspect he left as he knew that this season was going to be much tougher than the previous one and he had got pretty much all he could out of the Norwich squad - I also think a few players snubbing Norwich prefering moves to larger clubs had an effect."

In effect, there is every likelihood that PL would have got us relegated had he stayed. (I wonder how many of the ILWT brigade, would still be "loyal" in that event?)

For all those people who have decried CH''s modus operandi this season, remember his objective this season was to keep us up - not to play wonderful gung-ho football with the end result of relegation. As for CH''s "attacking" credentials, one only has to look at his previous teams goal scoring achievements to see that he has very few equals!

I will be relieved when this season is out of the way and I am so looking forward to next season with CH at the helm! Also looking forward to seeing some of the posters comments next season when we are in a top 10 position - I imagine a plethora of "I always trusted CH" and "He was always my 1st choice" etc etc!