Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Hughton haters who do you want to replace?

If we get relegated then there may be a change though even there i doubt it. If we stayup the CH has done his job forthis seasonand will have earnedthe right to continue. If in the premiership and Debt free we are a pretty attractive package for many managers so there would be no shortage of candidates.  If there is a change we should adopt the Swansea model of picking a manager whofits the players and ethos of the club which in our case is more attcking than we have been this season. Zola or Poyet would fit that bill for me. I think though for the timebeing it is an academic arguement as CH is here to stay andwith the money that we will invest if we stay up then things have got to be a lot better than this season

Time for everyone to have a good laugh - I''d like Frank Rijkaard please...Now you''ve finished laughing, look at it sensibly, he''s recently left his job in charge of Saudi Arabia, is apparently interested in getting back into club management, and we can offer a settled club with little to no debt, a great fan base, and a job coaching in one of (if not THE) best leagues in the world.He knows how to play good football and even better he instills a real team ethic and classiness into his teams.For the sake of a cup of coffee, it''s worth asking the question.If not, then Poyet or Guidolin would be my next favourites.

If Wigan, fail in thier bid to suvive, which I think this year they just might, then what about Martinez plays good football is used to a relegation scrap on a budget and appears to be very loyal.

[quote user="hazza9"]If we did sack Hughton, it''s got to be Hucks!!!![/quote]Sorry, but as much as we all love Hucks, that is a ridiculous suggestion!

completely agree. Whether we stay up or not, we should say thank you and goodbye. Poyet, Di Matteo or Zola (although being a previous Chelsea player isn''t essential)

[quote user="Dpj Canary"]Mick McCarthy would be my choice.[/quote]His complete failure in the prem whilst in charge of Wolves would put me against him for one thing, not to mention that he''s hardly known for playing ''attractive'' football, so wouldn''t represent a major change from Hughton''s approach, ergo - what would be the point?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Time for everyone to have a good laugh - I''d like Frank Rijkaard please...

Now you''ve finished laughing, look at it sensibly, he''s recently left his job in charge of Saudi Arabia, is apparently interested in getting back into club management, and we can offer a settled club with little to no debt, a great fan base, and a job coaching in one of (if not THE) best leagues in the world.

He knows how to play good football and even better he instills a real team ethic and classiness into his teams.

For the sake of a cup of coffee, it''s worth asking the question.

If not, then Poyet or Guidolin would be my next favourites.
[/quote]

I''m sure Rijkaard would take the job - he will take any job that pays him well and then phone it in. For some reason Rijkaard seemed to give up putting any effort in as a manager after leaving Barcelona - was just horrible at Galatasary and even worse with Saudi Arabia.

He has an awful attitude and has no flexibility as a manager - if you give him a team with talented players like Barcelona he can make it work but has no ability to build a squad or implement a system. I imagine he''ll turn up in China someone soon and take a massive pay cheque whilst not caring what happens.

I can''t possibly imagine a worse manager for Norwich right now.

If the last few appointments have proved anything at all, it is that a succesful appointment is a huge matter of luck. Paul Lambert was a Div 0ne boss when he joined us and was ultra succesful here, but he has hardly been a success at Villa this season. Hughton''s appointment looked to be the right one when he arrived here but once again his success his arguable. Two of the front runners when Lambert left here were treated with derision by lot''s of City followers, but Mackay and Bruce have done the job perfectly in the championship this season. Many people mention Ian Holloway as possible boss here, but his magic touch seems to have deserted at Palace.

I would chose Malky Mackay, but I doubt that he would come here.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]

Jose Mourinho obviously. He''s the only manager who will get anywhere near the level of football some Norwich fans expect.

[/quote]

Agreed, wanting to have a shot on target is completely unrealistic. We''re not Barcelona for god''s sake, some fans need a reality check.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]For some reason Rijkaard seemed to give up putting any effort in as a manager after leaving Barcelona[/quote]I''m pretty sure that he was somewhat frustrated that having built Barca back into a top class side, that he was given the boot and then Guardiola takes all the credit...[quote]was just horrible at Galatasaray and even worse with Saudi Arabia[/quote]Rijkaard left Galatasaray with a 55% win rate and having lost just 22% of his games whilst in charge. These are impressive stats even if the league finishes/positions weren''t as high as they really needed to be.As for Saudi Arabia - I''m not sure what you expect BYG? They have very few talented players, Rijkaard couldn''t really bring any quality young players through or sign anyone to improve his side, and in truth was not really any worse or better than can be expected in that setup. Bear in mind as well that they''ve gone through 7 managers in the last 5 years alone, and what we can see is that the Saudi FA want results without considering whether it''s really possible to get this based on what they have available... [quote]He has an awful attitude and has no flexibility as a manager - if you give him a team with talented players like Barcelona he can make it work but has no ability to build a squad or implement a system.[/quote]What???Barca had finished just 4th in 01/02, 6th in 02/03, then Rijkaard came in and took them to 2nd in his first season in charge. The season after they WON the league, AND the season after that, another 2nd place the year after, followed finally by a somewhat disappointing 3rd place (mainly due to injuries to key players like Ronaldinho, Henry, Eto’o, Messi, Milito and Deco!!!).During his time he brought through players like Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol and Valdes, then he signed quality players like Eto''o, Deco and Larsson, and let''s not forget that it was Rijkaard that brought Messi into the team despite the coaching staff claiming they thought Bojan was the better player...Rijkaard made Barca what they are today, Guardiola just rode in on his lapels, tweaked things slightly and came out smelling of roses, whilst Rijkaard became the forgotten man and all his hard work ignored or dismissed in the wake of ''pep'' fever...To suggest you couldn''t think of anyone worse is genuinely insulting, and considering your knowledge of the game and subject - genuinely surprising.Or have I missed something here???

cant believe im even thinking this butsteve bruce has done an excellent job at hull

poyet would be another i wouldnt mind

if its relegation then warnock, he has a history of promotion, and at worse would steady the ship

in a fantasy world someone like koeman or di matteo would be awesome but knowing delia & co they would probably get crook or trevor putney even if they could afford them

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]For some reason Rijkaard seemed to give up putting any effort in as a manager after leaving Barcelona[/quote]
I''m pretty sure that he was somewhat frustrated that having built Barca back into a top class side, that he was given the boot and then Guardiola takes all the credit...

[quote]was just horrible at Galatasaray and even worse with Saudi Arabia[/quote]
Rijkaard left Galatasaray with a 55% win rate and having lost just 22% of his games whilst in charge. These are impressive stats even if the league finishes/positions weren''t as high as they really needed to be.

As for Saudi Arabia - I''m not sure what you expect BYG? They have very few talented players, Rijkaard couldn''t really bring any quality young players through or sign anyone to improve his side, and in truth was not really any worse or better than can be expected in that setup. Bear in mind as well that they''ve gone through 7 managers in the last 5 years alone, and what we can see is that the Saudi FA want results without considering whether it''s really possible to get this based on what they have available...

[quote]He has an awful attitude and has no flexibility as a manager - if you give him a team with talented players like Barcelona he can make it work but has no ability to build a squad or implement a system.[/quote]
What???

Barca had finished just 4th in 01/02, 6th in 02/03, then Rijkaard came in and took them to 2nd in his first season in charge. The season after they WON the league, AND the season after that, another 2nd place the year after, followed finally by a somewhat disappointing 3rd place (mainly due to injuries to key players like Ronaldinho, Henry, Eto’o, Messi, Milito and Deco!!!).

During his time he brought through players like Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol and Valdes, then he signed quality players like Eto''o, Deco and Larsson, and let''s not forget that it was Rijkaard that brought Messi into the team despite the coaching staff claiming they thought Bojan was the better player...

Rijkaard made Barca what they are today, Guardiola just rode in on his lapels, tweaked things slightly and came out smelling of roses, whilst Rijkaard became the forgotten man and all his hard work ignored or dismissed in the wake of ''pep'' fever...

To suggest you couldn''t think of anyone worse is genuinely insulting, and considering your knowledge of the game and subject - genuinely surprising.

Or have I missed something here???
[/quote]

I think you are massively overstating Rijkaard''s work at Barcelona - players like Etoo etc were signed for him, he had no say in the transfer policy at Barcelona.

The development of young players had to be forced upon him - the senior directors (under the influence of Pep) put a lot of pressure on Rijkaard to start playing Inestia, Messi etc. Anyway, as I said Rijkaard has basically given up after Barcelona - for Galatasary those stats really aren''t good enough and he managed to upset pretty much all the players, directors and fans with his attitude; he has one of the biggest egos around and known to be impossible to work with.

His time at Saudi Arabia is a joke, of course they aren''t the greatest team in the world but getting stuffed by Iraq and Kuwait isn''t a good look. Rijkaard was unable to make less than talented squads at Gala and SA work, so I see no reason why he would be able to make any improvements at Norwich - he did do a good job at Barcelona but as you said he was gifted one of the best group of youth players ever (and he still almost ruined it by not playing Xavi and trying to sell him). You won''t find many people at Barcelona who would speak highly of him now, despite the success he brought the club - for me that speaks a lot.

If he came to Norwich, it would be for a pay-day, he wouldn''t at all if the club were relegated as long as he got his pay-off. QPR have shown the risk in over paying players/managers who hold a few past glories, Rijkaard would be the exact same move. As I said befoe, China beckons I''m sure (or possibly an oil rich Russia club).

[quote user="Truculent Trucker"]I don''t hate Hughton but I do hate his boring style of football, it''s about as exciting as watching people playing snap! I''d like Gus Poyet as his replacement.[/quote]

But then what if Poyet looked at the situation and decided to adopt Hughton''s style of play?

I honestly don''t get the idea that hughton built this season around the style of play he wanted to adopt. I think it''s more likely that he looked at what he had and adopted this style of play for this season. It might prove to be a stroke of genius.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Truculent Trucker"]I don''t hate Hughton but I do hate his boring style of football, it''s about as exciting as watching people playing snap! I''d like Gus Poyet as his replacement.[/quote]

But then what if Poyet looked at the situation and decided to adopt Hughton''s style of play?

I honestly don''t get the idea that hughton built this season around the style of play he wanted to adopt. I think it''s more likely that he looked at what he had and adopted this style of play for this season. It might prove to be a stroke of genius.

[/quote]

Not saying it was definitive, but I wonder how much influence the Fulham result had on our style of play in the rest of the season?

That being said we were playing this way in pre-season.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Not saying it was definitive, but I wonder how much influence the Fulham result had on our style of play in the rest of the season?

[/quote]

Let''s just imagine that we played like Villa, QPR, Wigan or Reading. Would that have been the right thing to do? Of course we will never know. But the idea that we should sack Hughton for the style he has played this season (not results) is crazy.The next logical step to that argument would be to appoint Poyet and dictate to him how he should play but hold him responsible for the results that style brings. Would he take the job?

Ok NN lets look at what he took over the 7th highest scorers in the league, comfortable mid table finish, a 15-20 goal a year forward and a leaky defence.

Now lets look at what we have now

3rd Lowest scorers in the League, No player scoring more than 6 goals and a very leaky defence. forget two steps forward one back this is 3 steps back and none forward as far as i am concerned

Does Poyet not also play one up front?

Do Brighton not have the best defence in the championship (joint least conceded)

They''re mid table in the goals scored chart...

Just saying on Poyet....

We now have a team in14th with one of the lowest if not the lowest budget in the Premier is what we have. If it was so easy to repeat then why did Lambert leave? 

"technika"cant believe im even thinking this but steve bruce has done an excellent job at hull

poyet would be another i wouldnt mind

if its relegation then warnock, he has a history of promotion, and at worse would steady the ship

in a fantasy world someone like koeman or di matteo would be awesome but knowing delia & co they would probably get crook or trevor putney even if they could afford them

You can hardly criticise Delia and co if you are suggesting Steve Bruce or Warnock.

Lambert was always going to leave and if you take those yellow and green glasses off you will know that Villa are a much bigger club than us. Bigger ground more history more potential its an upward carer move and no doubt more money for him. If someone offered you a better job in your work you would take it everyone would. I have nothing but respect for Lambert without him we would still be in league one people have short memories in football.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let''s just imagine that we played like Villa, QPR, Wigan or Reading. Would that have been the right thing to do? Of course we will never know. But the idea that we should sack Hughton for the style he has played this season (not results) is crazy.The next logical step to that argument would be to appoint Poyet and dictate to him how he should play but hold him responsible for the results that style brings. Would he take the job?

[/quote]

I think the point is that Hughton has struggled to find a balance in recent months. Playing 3 DM''s and failing to have a shot on target for the 3rd time this season isn''t really good enough, whether you''re Reading or United, and it''s to be expected that as the manager he''s criticised for that.

[quote user="Hannibal II"]Ok NN lets look at what he took over the 7th highest scorers in the league, comfortable mid table finish, a 15-20 goal a year forward and a leaky defence.

Now lets look at what we have now

3rd Lowest scorers in the League, No player scoring more than 6 goals and a very leaky defence. forget two steps forward one back this is 3 steps back and none forward as far as i am concerned[/quote]Does every team in the EPL ''improve'' year-on-year? Are we bucking the trend in that respect?Every Hughton-outer is assuming that had we played with a more attacking style than we have done then results would have been better. That is not a fact; you cannot prove that. It is too easy to assume that any alternative would have worked out for the better (the grass is always greener). Had he made the attacking changes at the times some of you have asked for we may conceivably have lost points getting suckered on the counter-attack! It is irritating to keep reading the tired mantra x, y, z team "were there for the taking". Every EPL team has players capable of punishing careless over-exuberance. Attacking more would not have guaranteed more points on the board by now. There were many factors behind last season''s excellent overall performance but things change. Whether you like it or not Hughton has had to work within a very limited budget compared to almost every one of his competitors this season. You would sack a manager and take a gamble on any given replacement because he has failed to match your unrealistic expectations? What if his replacement failed to match those expectations? We have been spoiled with the ride these past few seasons and now some of you act like spoilt kids (www.whitewhine.com) because the quality on display isn''t as pretty as you''ve got used to.

[quote user="Hannibal II"]Ok NN lets look at what he took over the 7th highest scorers in the league, comfortable mid table finish, a 15-20 goal a year forward and a leaky defence. Now lets look at what we have now 3rd Lowest scorers in the League, No player scoring more than 6 goals and a very leaky defence. forget two steps forward one back this is 3 steps back and none forward as far as i am concerned[/quote]

But that was last season. If you compare Hughton to Lambert this season yhou will see 4 more points and a +6 goal difference. If you believe Villa are a much bigger club with more potential then Hughton''s current advantage over Lambert is even more impressive.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the point is that Hughton has struggled to find a balance in recent months. Playing 3 DM''s and failing to have a shot on target for the 3rd time this season isn''t really good enough, whether you''re Reading or United, and it''s to be expected that as the manager he''s criticised for that.

[/quote]

Is it? So we should sack Hughton for 3 poor shows and ignore where we finish in the league! Crazy!!