Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Form and Momentum

It appears to me, that to some folk, positive form and momentum don''t apply to us - for example:

NCFC home form:

- only 3 teams - Liverpool, Chelsea and Man City - have beaten us at home this season

- this home record form is only bettered by 4 teams - Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea & Everton

- we have not lost in the league at home this year - 7 consecutive home games unbeaten

- of those 7 home games, I think only Southampton was below us who actually got a point - the rest were above us

- total home points this year - 11 (average just over 1.5 per game)

- 2 home games left (on average = 3 points) - probable season total = 41

AV away form:

- AV have won twice away this year - against Reading and Stoke

- AV have got 9 points from 9 away games (guess the average!)

- AV have 2 away games left (on average = 2 points) and a home game against Chelsea - 0 points - probable season total = 39

- AV are below us in the league

Conclusion:

We''re doomed! Why? Because AV have momentum - they have just won a HOME game against opposition who are lower than them!

(The fact that Sunderland had even more momentum going into the AV game - having won their last 2 games - is totally irrelevant, irrespective and besides the point!)

Yep, Amazing when you read the negative comments on here. We have been out of the relagation scrap all year yet you would think we were nailed on to go down. Nothing could be further from the truth.

We are cruising to the land of plenty and a season to look forward too and get excited about. We are a bottom 6 club when you look at the squad we have and have managed most of the season to stay higher up the league than I expected.

Until it is sertain we will stay up there are always going to be the mathamaticians amongst us who will find a series of results, however unlikley, that will put us down. Mathamatically Swansea in ninth could go down. Realisticaly the bottom 3 as they are now will go down.

Keep the faith. OTBC

Momentum and form are very important. I thought that for a couple of games we were really beginning to make an impact, and then came Stoke!

Several of the teams around us are playing better, perhaps urged on by the seriousness of their position. Wigan are doing their annual burst, Villa have shaken themselves free from the doldrums, even Sunderland seemed to respond tho their new manager at first. West Ham have put a spurt on. These teams seem to be able to gain enough points.

One or two have gone off - Newcastle must be worrying as they plunge. There are stories of dressing room bust-ups. The problem is that once you lose confidence and decline, it''s very difficult to get out of the rut, unless you have one or two match-winning players who can make things happen.

It''s important to build up a run, and with it confidence. I am not quite sure what happened to us at Stoke, but we looked like a team that didn''t really believe in itself.

[quote user="Salopian"]

Momentum and form are very important. I thought that for a couple of games we were really beginning to make an impact, and then came Stoke!

Several of the teams around us are playing better, perhaps urged on by the seriousness of their position. Wigan are doing their annual burst, Villa have shaken themselves free from the doldrums, even Sunderland seemed to respond tho their new manager at first. West Ham have put a spurt on. These teams seem to be able to gain enough points.

One or two have gone off - Newcastle must be worrying as they plunge. There are stories of dressing room bust-ups. The problem is that once you lose confidence and decline, it''s very difficult to get out of the rut, unless you have one or two match-winning players who can make things happen.

It''s important to build up a run, and with it confidence. I am not quite sure what happened to us at Stoke, but we looked like a team that didn''t really believe in itself.

[/quote]

My original comment about Form and Momentum were a bit tongue in cheek! To some folk, everyone elses form and momentum is "significant" whilst any Norwich form or momentum is ignored or trivialised!

However, in terms of momentum, we are on one of the best runs, of not losing at home, than any team outside the top 6

(though that wont stop some of the chicken licken brigade commenting something like "well, we''re due for a loss then!") [:(]

Another piece of form for one to ponder:

NCFC home goals - for 20 against 18

AV away goals - for 20 against 38

[quote user="ABC - A Basingstoke Canary"]However, in terms of momentum, we are on one of the best runs, of not losing at home, than any team outside the top 6[/quote]I''m sure we''re also probably on one of the best runs of "least shots on goal over a season" as well, with the Wigan and Stoke shambles helping us massively in trying to gain this acheivement.Looks like against Villa it''ll be a 4-6-0 formation, with the impetus on not shooting and playing for a draw at best...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="ABC - A Basingstoke Canary"]However, in terms of momentum, we are on one of the best runs, of not losing at home, than any team outside the top 6[/quote]
I''m sure we''re also probably on one of the best runs of "least shots on goal over a season" as well, with the Wigan and Stoke shambles helping us massively in trying to gain this acheivement.

Looks like against Villa it''ll be a 4-6-0 formation, with the impetus on not shooting and playing for a draw at best...
[/quote]

You are quite possibly right - however, the Wigan and Stoke games you allude to were AWAY games. What I''ve been attempting to demonstrate are some positive attributes towards are HOME form - especially as 2 of our last 3 games are HOME games!

Whilst I appreciate that your comments were firmly in the "tongue in cheek" variety, I had to make the distinction between the HOME  vs AWAY form for those poor deluded souls that might not have fully understood the extent to which your tongue was striking up a bonding relationship with your cheek!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Looks like against Villa it''ll be a 4-6-0 formation, with the impetus on not shooting and playing for a draw at best...[/quote]Villa are one player (Vlaar) away from having the poorest most lightweight premier League defence I''ve seen for a number of years, I''d be surprised if CH wasn''t aware of this. I''m more concerned about the form and the momentum of the officials, I can see a game we''re controlling comfortably being torn away from us with an unwarranted red card and at least the one penalty. [;)]

This just follows on from the stats thread the other day, people can manipulate and spin stats to suit whatever point they are trying to make.Quoting one single stat is like quoting one page of an entire book, yeah it may be correct, but only in a very isolated context.