Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

What I Want From Our Manager Next Season

Now, I don''t much care if that''s Hughton or not Hughton.  Reckon it''d be better if it weren''t, but that''s not for me to say.  I don''t mind him so much, it''s those jokers coaching the team that I want words with.

Anyway, what I do want is a return to the Norwich City style of play.  None of this lumping it and chasing it and sweating a lot without any end product nonsense, that''s time we went back to first principles.  "Keep it low... a splendid rush."

Old Bor''s damn near needing a neck replacement after watching all this hoofing and lumping it up to a couple of industrial centre forwards.  Where''s Hoolahan and where is the passing and movement so renowned of our fine club and this fine city of ours?  I''ve been over the world on work assignments - not no more, obviously - and win or lose, we always got praise for playing in the right way, being a good team to watch, passing it about, playing "proper" football if you want to call it that.

Now, whoever is in charge next season - and like I say, that might be Hughton or that might not - they need to be sat down and have it explained that this is how we do things around here and we won''t tolerate any shoddy long ball nonsense.  We play in the right way.  On the floor, City.

Now Hughton''s dress sense is one of the things I do like about him.  That and the fact he keeps himself in good nick.  But we aren''t employing someone for how good they look on the touchline, or we''d be managed by that lovely Welsh singing lass.

I just wish he would be a little more positive. The Stoke match last weekend was Hughton at his worst... he picked a team to play at Old Trafford not the Britannia Stadium. Hoot talked about draws and chose a team and tactics to play for a 0-0.  We pretty much played with 7 defenders against a Stoke team completely out of form having won only twice in 13 games.We turned up asking to be beat, and got beat. Stoke can''t have had an easier win all season.  It was all so predictable from the moment the team sheet was released.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]7 defenders? you''ve lost me a bit there.

if you''re including the midfielders that played a defensive role, we started with 6 and finished with 5 defenders.[/quote]We played 3 defensive midfielders playing as such. Maybe I am being a bit harsh on them, but they aren''t picked for their effectiveness in the opposition half of the pitch. We played a deep central midfield just like against Arsenal, effectively one less attacking player.http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/615258/MatchReport/England-Premier-League-2012-2013-Arsenal-Norwichhttp://www.whoscored.com/Matches/615288/MatchReport/England-Premier-League-2012-2013-Stoke-Norwich (click on player positions at the end of the page)Who really thinks that playing a game where you defend deep and hope to get lucky by scoring your one shot on goal in 60 minutes is the way forward against crap opposition.

Statistically we played more long-balls per game under Lambert (75) then we do under Hughton (64). We also play (slightly) less long passes as a total percentage of overall number of passes (21% of our passes are long under Hughton, 22% under Lambert). If anything, we''ve become less direct under Hughton. Maybe that''s the reason Holt''s been strugglng so much? He certainly seemed to be better suited to more direct football.

What you will see next season is very different season and quite possibly a fight for a European Place if Hughton brings in 2 or maybe 3 very good intelligent midfielders including an attacking midfielder and maybe another striker.

Try not to put to much emphasis on this season as the squad completely under performed and many players begging the question if they can still play at a high lebel like the Prem.

What we lack is any ability to put the opposition on the back foot/take the game to a team. Pace brings that and we lack it across the team. No longer do full backs overlap, no longer do we swarm forward in quick attacks. For that I blame hughton. If we stay up, and it is totally reliant on Wigan to fail IMO, then RVW needs a quick winger and an attacking midfielder who busts a gut to get forward to feed him.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Statistically we played more long-balls per game under Lambert (75) then we do under Hughton (64). We also play (slightly) less long passes as a total percentage of overall number of passes (21% of our passes are long under Hughton, 22% under Lambert). If anything, we''ve become less direct under Hughton. Maybe that''s the reason Holt''s been strugglng so much? He certainly seemed to be better suited to more direct football.[/quote] Surprisingly Holt has had to deal with far far more aerial battles this season than last.  Last season Morison was the one doing most of the donkey work in games.  In whoscored a Long Ball is defined as an attempted/accurate pass of 25 yards or more.  I would imagine some of last season''s long passes were from the midfield out to the wings, the type Fox used to do, and we don''t see anymore this season.  Fox used to put in 6 Accurate Long passes per game.  These days the central midfielders dally on the ball before passing it 5 yards sideways...  then more dallying and 5 yards further sideways to Snod. The ball being lumped up to Holt is another one commonly seen this season.  As is Hoolahan receiving the ball and finding no players moving forward to pass it to.

[quote user="White stuff"]What you will see next season is very different season and quite possibly a fight for a European Place if Hughton brings in 2 or maybe 3 very good intelligent midfielders including an attacking midfielder and maybe another striker.[/quote]With statements like that, you make us all realise that you''ve clearly been drinking your username, as the suggestion that we''ll be in contention for a European place, can only be some mad delusion brought on by comsumption of a dangerous substance...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="White stuff"]What you will see next season is very different season and quite possibly a fight for a European Place if Hughton brings in 2 or maybe 3 very good intelligent midfielders including an attacking midfielder and maybe another striker.[/quote]With statements like that, you make us all realise that you''ve clearly been drinking your username, as the suggestion that we''ll be in contention for a European place, can only be some mad delusion brought on by comsumption of a dangerous substance...[/quote]
Careful there matey, Til will be down on you in seconds if you mentioned anything.... unsavory.

We got to get two or three midfielders at least, ones who can pass it and win it.  I reckon the back line''s tidy enough and the wings are good enough but that central midfield area, that''s weak as Nun''s piss.