Sign in to follow this  
Skerritt

Holt not scoring as much isn't his fault.

Last season holt was brilliant and nobody could deny that. This season so many Holt criticisers have popped up criticising Holt for not scoring.

Last season, our full backs would overlap and Bennett and Pilks would be able to make more space for crossing. Holt has had very few chances and although Snodgrass has been excellent, he does enjoy shooting when he should be crossing it a lot of the time. This should all be fine next season if we get some more creative players in so until then, get behind the team!

I can only agree with that to a certain extent Skerritt.In the early part of the season, Holt looked pretty unfit and his attitude at times was questionable, and more recently he''s seemed more interested in collecting bookings instead of goals.Maybe the latter part is frustration over the supply and his own poorer finishing, but the former is pretty much all on Holt himself, especially after all the fuss and nonsense over his contract demands and transfer request shenanigans in the summer.He''s still a quality player who can offer something next season, but only  if we have the old Holt back, the one with the better attitude, fitness and desire, rather than the guy we''ve had for at least half the season...

Have to agree with Indy, especially his fitness leaves a lot to be desired. His attitude could have led to a few red cards the last couple of games to be truthfull.

He just hasn''t been PL standard this season imo

Last season Grant Holt scored 28% of all his shots, one of the highest ratings in the League I believe.

This season he has scored 12.5% of his shots - there is the issue. If he had continued the same shot conversion rate he would have 11 goals so far this year.

Of course stats never tell the full story, the ability needed to score from 2 yards is tiny compared to that needed to score from 25 yards. However, I feel this as best as way as any to judge Holt on his goalscoring abilities this year (no other part of his game of course). Last season Holt massively overachieved, he had one of the best conversion rates around and everything he hit seemed to be a goal, that hasn''t be so true this season. For any Premier League striker a rate of 12.5% isn''t great.

In my opinion he''s been starved of service, I''m trying to think of any "sitters" that he''s missed this season and only the penalty against Saints and the 1v1 against Sunderland come to mind. He''s cutting a frustrated figure for me at present, which is probably the reason for his recent disciplinary issues.

I still think that used in the correct manner he''s got plenty to offer.

Lack of service may be part of it. But the likeliest major factor is that he is in terminal decline as a player.

Have to agree with the previous posters. While the more defensive approach has limited chances holts impact are as much down to him as anyone else.

Comparisons to strikers when he has played as a two have not often had him come out as the better striker during the game, his involvement has been less than others (winning fewer headers, less successful passes, less assists/key passes, fewer touches, more fouls as well as poorer quality finishing that Bethnal has already flagged) "suffering" the same service. There are probably several reasons for this rather than just one.

I still think he has a part to play in the club, but if Kei was on a permanent contract I would be looking to release Grant ahead of Kei based on their relative performance (and ages) for us this season

Holt not scoring is not entirely his fault is a fairer assessment.

Starved of service, support and, more importantly, backup from our other strikers.Holt should never have been left to be our sole lone striker for the whole season. It simply isn''t fair on him.The fact that Jackson, Kamara, Becchio, Morison, and Kane have contributed so little highlights how much Holt has been burdened by the failure of others.

Spot on, Holt hasn''t turned into a crap striker over night, he doesn''t get the service, the amount of crossesand the support that he got last season.It must be very frustrating for him

My view is that if he gets more chances then he would score more, merely because scoring breeds confidence and makes it easier to put the next chance away. He has been neutered by the lack of chances by a side with an overwhelmingly cautious approach which has destroyed his goal-scoring confidence. If we create good chances there''s no doubt that he will score goals in the long run.    

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"] I still think he has a part to play in the club, but if Kei was on a permanent contract I would be looking to release Grant ahead of Kei based on their relative performance (and ages) for us this season Holt not scoring is not entirely his fault is a fairer assessment.[/quote]

While some of Holt''s performances this season have disappointed me (to say the least) I don''t think Kamara has been so good that you could justify keeping him at the expense of Holt.

Kamara has done alright  but no more than that. Although it has been a poor season from Holt he has been utterly brilliant for this club and I''d prefer to keep the faith with him rather than back someone who has scored just 1 goal for the club and is still learning the ropes at this level of football.

If we had one great chance to beat Aston Villa tomorrow I''d feel more confident with it falling to Holt than I would Kamara.

my real concern assuming that he plays tomorrow is that he will get himself sent off

We have not created as many chances this year - CH would probably admit this, and having only one striker means that he gets attention from two big central defenders, so there is a tendency for the striker to go wide.

I will excuse Holt thus far, but his record of converting chances into goals has never been impressive. He scored more previously because he had more chances, but he also missed more. This season I can think that of two or three of his goals which were from almost zero range. He was brave to get there, but I struggle to think of outstanding goals. He has also missed a few with his head, which is less like him. and he muffed at least one-on-one chances because of poor technique.

I am sure that he is disappointed at his record this season, and perhaps is trying too hard out of frustration when he fouls defenders. Playing as a lone striker will make it harder, but like many I feel that he has lost some of his pace, and some delightful touch of previous seasons.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Last season Grant Holt scored 28% of all his shots, one of the highest ratings in the League I believe.

This season he has scored 12.5% of his shots - there is the issue. If he had continued the same shot conversion rate he would have 11 goals so far this year.

Of course stats never tell the full story, the ability needed to score from 2 yards is tiny compared to that needed to score from 25 yards. However, I feel this as best as way as any to judge Holt on his goalscoring abilities this year (no other part of his game of course). Last season Holt massively overachieved, he had one of the best conversion rates around and everything he hit seemed to be a goal, that hasn''t be so true this season. For any Premier League striker a rate of 12.5% isn''t great.

[/quote]

Unfortunately BYG, whilst your facts may well be correct, you have neglected to include the fact that it is all CH''s fault!

Conversion rates of 28% last season under "his lordship" vs 12.5% this season under CH - says it all really!

(By the way - this was a tongue in cheek response - apologies to the majority who understand this, but I have to add this as some of the poor deluded souls will really see this as some sort of evidence that it was all CH''s fault!)

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Starved of service, support and, more importantly, backup from our other strikers.Holt should never have been left to be our sole lone striker for the whole season. It simply isn''t fair on him.The fact that Jackson, Kamara, Becchio, Morison, and Kane have contributed so little highlights how much Holt has been burdened by the failure of others.[/quote]

Best post of the day for me.