Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

USA tour opponents confirmed

Portland Timbers on July 24, San Jose Earthquakes on July 20 and one other team in California on July 18.More details here

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Portland Timbers, San Jose Earthquakes and one other team in California.[/quote]WOOOOAAHHH hold on, you can edit posts but we can''t......Well maybe it''ll be Chivas then.

I thought we might too, but hey ho! Sounds like a good destination for a pre-season tour!

YES !!! I called Portland when they announced the tour earlier this year. Can''t wait to go to Jeld Wen Field again! Got to see the Timbers play Seattle while I was over there and fell in love with a city who are so passionate about their team.

Best fans in the MLS by a mile!

Reckon I''m up for this, first 2 games look within 50-60 miles of San Fancisco , combine it with a holiday?, Alcatraz,Golden gate bridge, Yosemite national park?.......not sure about the logistics of the 3 game in Portland, another 600 miles away...

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Portland Timbers on July 24, San Jose Earthquakes on July 20 and one other team in California on July 18.More details here[/quote]Reckon they might as well fit in a Disneyland XI to complete the Mickey Mouse league.  Why oh why are we wasting our time over in the USA?  That''ll be Holt starting next season two stone over.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Portland Timbers on July 24, San Jose Earthquakes on July 20 and one other team in California on July 18.More details here[/quote]Reckon they might as well fit in a Disneyland XI to complete the Mickey Mouse league.  Why oh why are we wasting our time over in the USA?  That''ll be Holt starting next season two stone over.[/quote]

Ignoring the silly bit at the end.

Why would it be a waste of time? We''re a Premiership team now, its the kind of thing Premiership teams do.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Portland Timbers on July 24, San Jose Earthquakes on July 20 and one other team in California on July 18.

More details here
[/quote]

Reckon they might as well fit in a Disneyland XI to complete the Mickey Mouse league.  Why oh why are we wasting our time over in the USA?  That''ll be Holt starting next season two stone over.

[/quote] Ignoring the silly bit at the end. Why would it be a waste of time? We''re a Premiership team now, its the kind of thing Premiership teams do.[/quote]

It is a waste of time in my opinion - there is no need to travel half way across the world to play a few games of football. Also temperatures in Cali can reach the low 40s/high 30s in July (so I''ve been told by friends out there) that isn''t good weather to be running around in.

Nothing wrong with the training camps Norwich have been using in Austria/Germany to build up fitness (the point of pre-season). And seriously, do Norwich think they are going to get loads of fans in America buying merchandise etc just because they play a game out there? Or are those fans going to contiune supporting their local teams and other clubs such as Man U, Liverpool, Barcelona etc?

No player I have ever spoken to has been positive about 12 hour flights to play football and there is no evidence to suggest it creates revenue for any team apart from those with an exisiting global image. Portsmouth''s tour of America didn''t secure them masses of money did it?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Portland Timbers on July 24, San Jose Earthquakes on July 20 and one other team in California on July 18.More details here[/quote]Reckon they might as well fit in a Disneyland XI to complete the Mickey Mouse league.  Why oh why are we wasting our time over in the USA?  That''ll be Holt starting next season two stone over.[/quote] Ignoring the silly bit at the end. Why would it be a waste of time? We''re a Premiership team now, its the kind of thing Premiership teams do.[/quote]

It is a waste of time in my opinion - there is no need to travel half way across the world to play a few games of football. Also temperatures in Cali can reach the low 40s/high 30s in July (so I''ve been told by friends out there) that isn''t good weather to be running around in.

Nothing wrong with the training camps Norwich have been using in Austria/Germany to build up fitness (the point of pre-season). And seriously, do Norwich think they are going to get loads of fans in America buying merchandise etc just because they play a game out there? Or are those fans going to contiune supporting their local teams and other clubs such as Man U, Liverpool, Barcelona etc?

No player I have ever spoken to has been positive about 12 hour flights to play football and there is no evidence to suggest it creates revenue for any team apart from those with an exisiting global image. Portsmouth''s tour of America didn''t secure them masses of money did it?

[/quote]I don''t know, but that sounds right. I did wonder when we signed that marketing deal if it would result in some "glamour" US trip that wouldn''t be as much use as the kind of training camp Lambert preferred.

well, that sucks. the support for ncfc is a lot stronger on the east coast with not a single game to be played around there.

If I could afford to travel 3,000 miles to see norwich, I''d be back and forth between dc and norwich constantly... same distance from dc to portland.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]Portland Timbers on July 24, San Jose Earthquakes on July 20 and one other team in California on July 18.More details here[/quote]Reckon they might as well fit in a Disneyland XI to complete the Mickey Mouse league.  Why oh why are we wasting our time over in the USA?  That''ll be Holt starting next season two stone over.[/quote] Ignoring the silly bit at the end. Why would it be a waste of time? We''re a Premiership team now, its the kind of thing Premiership teams do.[/quote]

[/quote]I don''t know, but that sounds right. I did wonder when we signed that marketing deal if it would result in some "glamour" US trip that wouldn''t be as much use as the kind of training camp Lambert preferred.[/quote]It''ll be like Rocky Balboa''s first training camp before fighting Clubber Lang in Rocky III, as opposed to Rocky Balboa''s second training camp before refighting Clubber Lang in Rocky III.

I was hoping it would be a NY, Philly, Kansas Tour with Front Row being our main ones and them own a part of the Philly franchise I thought it would be a done deal...wellll West Coast here I come...well later on.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Reckon I''m up for this, first 2 games look within 50-60 miles of San Fancisco , combine it with a holiday?, Alcatraz,Golden gate bridge, Yosemite national park?.......not sure about the logistics of the 3 game in Portland, another 600 miles away...[/quote]

Did that last year and can highly recommend it!

San Fran is great, Alcatraz is amazing but book it before you go, as there is a chance of a several day wait if you wait until you get there. Try to add the Napa Valley wine tour in as well!!

Then moved on to Vancouver which is totally stunning.

" Also temperatures in Cali can reach the low 40s/high 30s in July (so I''ve been told by friends out there) that isn''t good weather to be running around in. "

They may need to buy a new thermometer then - in Texas it can hit 40C (104F) around then and the East coast rather surprisingly can get close to that too - and combine that heat with a horrible dose of humidity.

So though it can get pretty hot in Sacremento the West coast usually has low humidity and San Fran has notoriously cool weather in the Summer - Mark Twain once wrote about that :-)