Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Surman

[quote user="Baracouda"]I find it hard where to put Surman particularly in a 4231. No for holding player, no for box to box (Johnson''s role) and no to no.10. and think he''s probably limited as a advanced wide man.[/quote]Spot on.He is extremely one dimensional, if he had a few more qualities like either pace or strength in the tackle, then he would likely get more games.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Howson started ahead of johnson actually, fox and howson had several games together but not gel as a partnership. Howsons starting coincided with our worst run last season too, lost more than half the game hes started then too[/quote]

So which one did Lambert persevere with?

Lambert was also wrong top replace Johnson and when he re-appeared we improved again.

From what I''ve seen of Fox this season he does not deserve a starting place but I didn''t go to Peterboro where he played well by all accounts. However against better opposition, Spurs in the cup, we looked a much better side when Tettey replaced hi..

Surely next season we won''t be persisting with 2 DM in every game?

He probably doesn''t fit in a 4-2-3-1, but in say a 4-1-4-1 I could see him taking one of the central midfield berths or in a flat 4-4-2 the LM position as two wingers is an option not a requirement. If you play a more narrow 4-3-3 he could easily play in the midfield 3.

Surman is a good player, if we are planning on being more tactically flexible next year there are a lot of occasions where he can be useful option.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Surman has something most of midfield lack, which is class on the ball. Several others to release ahead of him.[/quote]

As you say ZLF - he has class and is a quality player

CH has been lamenting the fact that we don''t have that "extra bit of quality" - I think CH sees him as one of those quality players. I can''t see him being let go.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Vanwink"]Silly[/quote]Indeed you are[Y][/quote]

And a little sad lol

[quote user="Vanwink"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Vanwink"]Silly[/quote]Indeed you are[Y][/quote]

And a little sad lol[/quote]Awwww, you''re sad?[:(]

I''ve no doubt that on his day Surman can be effective and hes proved this for us but looking at his 3 seasons for us his good days are few and far between even in his most productive season, the promotion season in 2011.

Too lightweight, too injury prone = Not good enough!

One of the prime candidates to be moved on in the summer! 

[quote user="Vanwink"]He will never please Hughton because he likes to go forward too much, best for him to move on before his game is ruined![/quote]I completely disagree and would argue that Surman''s trademark move was to get up to an opponent, turn back inside and pass back.

[quote user="morty"]He is extremely one dimensional, if he had a few more qualities like either pace or strength in the tackle, then he would likely get more games.[/quote]

Surman is a decent squad player. On Whoscored he picked up 3 man of the match performances last season. He certainly offers something different.

If we are talking about form and performances, what is Howson doing in the starting lineup? He has been the worst outfield player of the season getting a run in the side without question. He offers nothing coming forward, and is not much good defensively and has been playing like a championship player.

It''s unbelievable that Howson has been given so many opportunities to prove himself and has failed time and time again, what on earth is going on?

Surman is a decent squad player. On Whoscored he picked up 3 man of the match performances last season. He certainly offers something different including the ability to shoot and score.  He has just been a bit unlucky with injuries this season.

If we are talking about form and performances, what is Howson doing in the starting lineup? He has been the worst outfield player of the season getting a run in the side without question. He offers nothing coming forward, doesn''t create, doesn''t score, has no range in his passing, and is not much good defensively. He has been playing like a championship player. The best that can be said about him is he runs around a lot sometimes. In fact he has started in almost every dismal performance this season, including the games against Luton in the FA Cup, Aston Villa in the League Cup and Fulham.
He is starting to remind me of Andy Hughes.  Rubbish week in week out, but first name on the team-sheet.

[quote user="Vanwink"]It''s unbelievable that Howson has been given so many opportunities to prove himself and has failed time and time again, what on earth is going on?[/quote]

Look, lets face it all our players have their limitations or are learning to adapt.   All players improve and some players that are seen in training to have the quality necessary to be able to develop have to play  in the first team.    We can''t buy success at Norwich in the way other richer clubs can.  I wish fans would sometimes give players the time to show their full potential.     Howson is one for the future and is gaining valuable experience - and obviously is seen as a better option to what else is available too.  

As for Surman, he is technically a very good player and always shines when their is good movement in the team as he has a good eye for a pass.   On off days for the team he is one that looks more out of sorts than the others, probably because the movement isn''t there from other players on off days.    Again, as with Howson, getting a regular run in the team is maybe what he needs to get the confidence and develop, within a good pass and move team.     A team with Howson and Surman in alongside  Tettey  as a DM,  with two wide players, could look very good indeed - imo.   We need technically good players and Howson and Surman are that.