Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Surman

Do people think he''ll be here next year? I understand he had an injury, but even without that he hardly figured.

I think he''s a good player and provides a quality outlet that we sometimes lack, but he''s not the quickest or the most physically imposing.

As someone commented in a thread recently, his goal versus Wolves showed his great technique. I do think with him in the side, we might have created more recently, even if he was given 20-30 minutes as a sub to shake things up.

He''s a player who when he gets a run of games together and finds his form, he really finds his form. He''s a technical and tidy player, and I think if he had of been fit he''d of played a bigger part this year. However as far as next year goes, I can see him struggling to muscle his way into the team, so for me, now is the right time for him to move on. Maybe a team like Reading could do with him

Well I hope he is here next season Jimmy. He lacks a bit of pace but he is a skilful player making space for himself and his team mates. He has a rare gift, great vision. Should be a valuable squad member at least.

Imo we pass the ball better when he is in the side, just because he''s a player who moves off the ball into the right spaces very well, something very few of the current team do. He''s been involved with the squad when fit for both Lambert and Hughton but i guess it''s going to depend on who comes in player wise and maybe if anyone makes an offer for him.

The big issues with him for me is he is to slow to play out wide and not agressive or particularly strong to be in the centre of midfield when your under alot of pressure. Still a good player imo. 

Pilkington was rightfully first choice. Surman would surely have had a good run in the side if he hadn''t been injured. I agree with all the positive comments about him. He has an eye for goal too. Hughton was unlucky to have the two players injured together which neccessitated playing others out of position. My only worry with Surman is a fitness one.

Fitness, pace and aggression are a worry but Surman is an intelligent footballer who would have figured many times this season had it not been for injury.

I hope he stays as he has the ability to offer options.

Surman is in his 3rd season here and I cannot recall him having many good games. Wolves soon got rid of him after 1 season in the top flight and he contributed to our promotion campaign but has hardly made a significant impact in the top flight. He has some qualities but is not the player to take us forward in the premiership. Should we go down then he may get another lease of life here

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Surman is in his 3rd season here and I cannot recall him having many good games. Wolves soon got rid of him after 1 season in the top flight and he contributed to our promotion campaign but has hardly made a significant impact in the top flight. He has some qualities but is not the player to take us forward in the premiership. Should we go down then he may get another lease of life here[/quote]

You can''t have seen him play that often then!

Part of the reason Pilkington did as well as he did last year was because we had both him and Surman really pumped up. In many ways they are ideal to have in the same squad as the offer something slightly different.

Pilkington is much more of a traditional wide man, a bit of pace, a little bit direct but wants to beat his man.

Surman is more of a technical player. I''d almost say that in some ways he is more creative. He doesn''t have bags of pace but he does have skill and a real eye for a ball. In that way he works well with Holt and Hoolahan because he can read what they are doing perhaps more than other players.

Whether he has what it takes now to be a regular starter for us after injuries etc I don''t know. But if you look back at the start of the season he did play and was preferred to Pilkington on some occasions.

This may be a bit of a controversial view, but I think he is a better player than E. Bennett. He has a much better delivery from wide areas and set pieces. And has scored more than him even though he has been out for most of the season with injury.

Quality player. Works very hard and has good technique coupled with a good football brain.

Good player to have in the squad and as long as he wants to stay then I''d expect to see him here next season.

If we are to assume that another left winger is brought in to challenge Pilks for the spot, it leaves Surman as third choice in the position at best.That aside, I actually think he''d work much better in a more central role, and certainly if Hughton does stick with the two defensive mids, then Surman would be a good backup for the passing role to go alongside them.Certainly if Fox is moved on (as Hughton doesn''t seem to rate him), and with Howson struggling to show any sort of form or consistency, then Surman surely would be the best option in our current squad for the job, although I hope that we will in fact be signing someone new to fill the place, leaving Surman as first choice cover on the bench.Bearing in mind his flexibility in being able to cover both left and central midfield, I think he''s a great squad player (better than many give him credit for) and unless we had a good offer for his services, there is no reason for us to move him on.

Surman has something most of midfield lack, which is class on the ball. Several others to release ahead of him.

Che''s right hand man - "......... he''s not a winger, he''s a wide midfielder."

Exactly so. He is not in competition with Pilkington or any other winger he is able to offer something different, as and when it is needed, as a wide midfielder.

I hope that he will be here, for a number of reasons:

He is a wide left-sided player, and apart from PIlks and Johno the only one we have, unless you count Wes.

His incisive passes and touches are very creative, his passes well picked - equal to Wes at his best.

He covers a lot of ground during a match, including getting back to defend around our goal.

He may not have blistering pace, but he is no slower than Snoddy or our fullbacks.

Wolves supporters, when he left to come to us, described him as a very good player but slight in build. That seems to be a god description, and perhaps a good reason why he is not a central midfielder. I think that he can contribute to our creativity which has recently sunk to a low level, and I would be disappointed if he was not with us next season.

Surman has only made 4 appearances this season. Obviously, a large part of this is due to injury and not a lack of ability etc. Hughton seems to like him as a player, he go two very early starts when we played Fulham (A) and West Ham (H). He was quite possibly the best Norwich player during the West Ham game. It seems to me that when he picked up an injury, Hughton switched to using two out-and-out wingers rather than using Surman, then he picked up a major injury and was out for the rest of the season.
Am I right in thinking that next year is his last year on his current contract? I think he''ll be given a chance to earn a new contract next year as Hughton seems to like him. I concur with many peoples views on here that Surman is a wide midfielder, not a winger, but should be given an opportunity to perform in either a central-midfield berth alongside a more physical player or an advanced midfield role. I really like Surman and I think that, injury permitting, he could be a really good performer for Norwich. 
He''s not the fastest, strongest or most physical player, but his technique is superb and his movement is amongst the most intelligent I''ve ever seen from a player.

He will never please Hughton because he likes to go forward too much, best for him to move on before his game is ruined!

Good movement and can pick a pass, I''d hope to see either more of him or a player similar but better to come in. I think Surmans ability on the ball would be really benifical alongside either Johnson or Tetty in the centre and the service that RVW will require will be much more along the line of what Surman can provide rather than the lumped balls by Johnson and Tetty. We''ve needed a playmaker in the centre, someone who can open up defences with a single pass, especailly next season if we are to make full use of the ability of our new record signing.

We have Foxy, terrible error of judgement to be playing Howson over him!

Shame on you for resorting to personal insults lol

[quote user="Vanwink"]We have Foxy, terrible error of judgement to be playing Howson over him![/quote]

Lambert did too Vin.

Foxy is a quality player for me and deserves a place in the team no matter who is the manager. He performed poorly in the cup game and seems to have been written off, if we saw more squad rotation then players like him would have the opportunity to show their worth.

Maybe you''re right maybe you''re wrong. What is undoubtedly true is that Fox has become a better player on this messageboard for not playing. I need convincing so what has he done to deserve a place?

Howson started ahead of johnson actually, fox and howson had several games together but not gel as a partnership.

Howsons starting coincided with our worst run last season too, lost more than half the game hes started then too

[quote user="Vanwink"]Foxy is a quality player for me and deserves a place in the team no matter who is the manager. He performed poorly in the cup game and seems to have been written off, if we saw more squad rotation then players like him would have the opportunity to show their worth.[/quote]So what we''re saying is he had his chance to show his worth in the cup game, and didn''t.You have answered your own question.

Nonsense as usual dear boy, he deserves a run in the team to show his true worth, he is probably the most creative mid field player we have, a quality that has been sorely lacking for us this season.

I find it hard where to put Surman particularly in a 4231. No for holding player, no for box to box (Johnson''s role) and no to no.10. and think he''s probably limited as a advanced wide man.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Nonsense as usual dear boy, he deserves a run in the team to show his true worth, he is probably the most creative mid field player we have, a quality that has been sorely lacking for us this season.[/quote]Maybe you should ring the club up and tell Chris Hughton then, and correct this massive football travesty of justice.[Y]Or maybe Canary Call. Yeah, do that.