Sign in to follow this  
Sly Dog

PNE fans on Rudd

Apologies if already posted. Some good comments. Shame I think he''s going to have to eventually look elsewhere in the interests of his career....

http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?80612-Rudd-v-Stuckman

It''s a shame. It''s partly because keepers are "long-lived" and our production line has turned out quite a number in recent yeats, including Green and Lewis, and Steer.

I dont see any need to rush into selling him, loan him for the whole of next season. Then we can see where we find ourselves and also he is in his development at the end of next season. Alot can change in one season.

"Declan Rudd is just head and shoulders above anything I''ve seen in the past 5 years""Rudd is just a class act""Rudd could go on to be a Premier League goalie one day, he''s faultless at this level""Rudd, best goalie since Nash. Makes the stuff he does look simple,

always talking, and decent in the air. I would try and pull out all the

stops to get him full time"Whilst we have to take this with a pinch of salt and appreciate it''s at a lower level, this certainly suggests to me that Rudd is more than good enough for a loan spell in the CCC next season, and then who knows where it will go from there?

Everton are probably regretting selling Ruddy to us I imagine.

Theres no reason why we couldn''t continue to loan Rudd out while he develops and we will have a good number 2 who may possibly take the No1 shirt at some point in the future.

He is only 22 and Goalkeepers careers are much longer than outfield players usually get at the top level.

I think we all accept that Ruddy will not be here for ever, he has the ability to play at a top team. Why sell a potential replacement who we have invested years in developing and is only lacking experience to prove himself? (like Ruddy was before before joining us, one SPL loan is less challenging than the Championship I would argue).

As is the case with keepers, they often don''t get a chance because there''s only one first choice keeper per club.

IF Ruddy leaves us in a couple of seasons to go to a bigger club, then Rudd - with another year or two of on-loan experience in the championship - could be an ideal replacement. If, however, we keep hold of Ruddy and he continues in this form, then we may end up losing Rudd, if he wants to go and get first team football somewhere. That''s the nature of keepers, not much we can do about it until he is ready for the prem. He isn''t yet. Give it another couple of seasons and then it will be a tricky call for the manager to make.

[quote user="he likes paella "]He is a jumped up goalie with attitude destined for league two... Lose that awful attitude and he may make it[/quote]Funny how there''s absolutely no mention on the PNE forums about him having a bad attitude, in fact he''s been commended for the way he communicates with his defence...

I personally think Glenn Roeder selling Lewis for what he did was possibly one of the worst mistakes he ever made. Money was pennies really, and we all know what he did with them...

Hang on to Rudd, loan him out definitely

Joe Lewis was a good keeper but not that good. He was never good enough to play for our 1st team while he was with us. If he was that good he wouldn''t be a reserve keeper at a Championship club at present!

As for Rudd, hes good like the boy Steer, but very over rated by Norwich fans. If either were that good we wouldn''t of signed Bunn and Camp. Neither are good enough for where we are now and theres more chance they won''t be in the future. Both look capable of having decent Football League careers!

[quote user="kingsway"]As for Rudd, hes good like the boy Steer, but very over rated by Norwich fans. If either were that good we wouldn''t of signed Bunn and Camp.[/quote]Tell me again how many premiership sides are happy to go with a totally untested at this level 21 year old as their primary backup for their first choice keeper?Rudd has played just 20 odd league games (for us and recently PNE), and hasn''t even had the benefit of having a long loan spell at a CCC club beforehand, so putting him as first choice backup for Ruddy at the start of the season would have been a VERY bold choice by Hughton, and with JR''s injury happening when it did, there could all too easily have been a groundhog day scenario occur such as we had with Gunn and Marshall...I''d argue that if we can arrange another loan over the summer, for him to play at a CCC club until at least Jan, then at that point we can honestly debate his true quality and potential value to us going forwards.This could be even more vital if JR continues to improve as we may well get firm offers at that stage (if not this summer).

[quote user="kingsway"]

Joe Lewis was a good keeper but not that good. He was never good enough to play for our 1st team while he was with us. If he was that good he wouldn''t be a reserve keeper at a Championship club at present!

As for Rudd, hes good like the boy Steer, but very over rated by Norwich fans. If either were that good we wouldn''t of signed Bunn and Camp. Neither are good enough for where we are now and theres more chance they won''t be in the future. Both look capable of having decent Football League careers!

[/quote]

He did however get a senior call up by Capello... Something Ruddy really had to wait for. Mind you so did Frank Fielding and some youth team lad at Watford. Suppose that says more about Ray Clemence really and the whole its-who-you-know-select-circles-pick-on-reputation/club-pedigree approach that England selection has always been based upon