Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Brigham

We should give Lambert a statue

Yep, yet another piece on Paul Lambert for the Pink''Un and why we shouldn''t boo him (and why I actually quite enjoyed Villa beating Sunderland 6-1). It''s quite short for once: http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/blogs/norwich_and_beyond/archive/2013/05/03/2910388.aspx

Your views and opinions are just that, and, like I would with anyone, I respect your right to have them.

But seriously?? The Lambert love-in is a joke, of course we are all grateful for what he did, we enjoyed the journey all the more for having been crap for numerous years previously.

But it''s over.

For all the Sonny and Cher comparisons, he is more like Prince Charles, Aston Villa are Camilla Parker-Bowles and we are the Princess Di. Seemingly, everything he could wish for but then unceremoniously sh1t on. Paul Lambert has moved on, it''s time our fans did the same, he isn''t coming back. The best thing we can all do is back the current incumbent as vociferously as possible and hope to get one over the Messiah tomorrow.

You might not like Hughton, you might love Lambert, but my only loyalty is to NCFC and Chris Hughton is our manager. For as long as that is the case, I''ll support him over Lambert any day of the week.

Just for the record, I do like Hughton. He''s a very good manager, and I''ve previously written about that. Liking both Hughton and Lambert isn''t mutually exclusive.

I will always support our team, but that down not mean that I have to support the manager!

[quote user="Vanwink"]I will always support our team, but that down not mean that I have to support the manager![/quote]As the manager is ultimately responsible for signing and then picking our team, how can anybody support one without the other?

Hughton is doing what he thinks is best, with the players he''s got, to acheive survival this season.

His track record with other teams is not one of defensive/negative play, it''s quite the opposite.

So let him bore us senseless (which he is) to get over the line this season, and judge him next season.

I assume from you handle that you have some positivity in you.

Use that at the game tomorrow.

That goes for YOU too (whoever you may be, reading this).

[quote user="Daniel Brigham"]Just for the record, I do like Hughton. He''s a very good manager, and I''ve previously written about that. Liking both Hughton and Lambert isn''t mutually exclusive.
[/quote]

I didn''t say that it was. What I do know is that Paul Lambert will be at Carrow Road tomorrow doing his utmost to take three points away with him. He won''t give two figs about what happened in League 1 or the Championship or the Premier League while he was employed by us, he will do everything in his power to try and turn us over and force us closer to the trapdoor.

So don''t boo if you don''t want to, I understand that, but let''s not blow bubbles up his chuff either. Let''s give him/them a hiding and keep them below us. We can''t have a direct influence on the game like he can, all we can do is back our lads and our manager 100% on the day, I suggest we stick to that.

The Lambert situation is quite an easy one for me; I won''t boo him, because of what he achieved for the club. But I won''t clap him or sing songs about him because he wasn''t a legend in my eyes. He was only here three years and left under a bit of a cloud.

I''d be more inclined to give Malky a warm reception next season than Lambert, but even then it won''t be at the expense of the current manager, it will be at most a little clap before the game to acknowledge someone who was one of my first icons at the club.

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

For all the Sonny and Cher comparisons, he is more like Prince Charles, Aston Villa are Camilla Parker-Bowles and we are the Princess Di.  [/quote]

Do you mean dead and buried?

[quote user="Vanwink"]I will always support our team, but that down not mean that I have to support the manager![/quote]

That''s right Vin!

We can support our team and their manager. That works a treat. We can sing OTBC and "there''s only one Paul Lambert" and whatever happens go home happy[*-)]

I think Wiz and McNally were right...

Statue for Delia[Y]

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

[quote user="Daniel Brigham"]Just for the record, I do like Hughton. He''s a very good manager, and I''ve previously written about that. Liking both Hughton and Lambert isn''t mutually exclusive.
[/quote]

I didn''t say that it was. What I do know is that Paul Lambert will be at Carrow Road tomorrow doing his utmost to take three points away with him. He won''t give two figs about what happened in League 1 or the Championship or the Premier League while he was employed by us, he will do everything in his power to try and turn us over and force us closer to the trapdoor.

So don''t boo if you don''t want to, I understand that, but let''s not blow bubbles up his chuff either. Let''s give him/them a hiding and keep them below us. We can''t have a direct influence on the game like he can, all we can do is back our lads and our manager 100% on the day, I suggest we stick to that.

[/quote]

Sorry, my fault: I wasn''t directly replying to you, was just pointing out I wa a Hughton fan as felt that didn''t come across in the piece.

[quote user="Vanwink"]I will always support our team, but that down not mean that I have to support the manager![/quote]

I think that sums up my feelings too Van.[Y]

[quote user="Daniel Brigham"]Without Lambert we’d still be supporting a League 1 side[/quote]I doubt that very much, to be honest.  McNally was no fool in getting rid of Gunn and if we hadn''t got Lambert (and let''s not forget the persistent rumour we got Lambert only because Adkins was lukewarm when approached) we''d have got someone else with half a clue.Not to knock our title win, or the relative ease with which we achieved it, but we''re not playing a team tomorrow managed by the equivalent of Gandalf.

Completely ripping off a friend who just posted this elsewhere, but I don''t understand City fans who are building Paul Lambert up into some kind of super tactician. We''re mediocre and we''re above Villa. Do the maths.Sums it up quite well for me.[:)]

Well Morty I have done some Math and I hear that Villa have a striker worth £30 million and our whole team would not rate half that. I think in terms of Math Lambert wins!

[quote user="Bobert"]Well Morty I have done some Math and I hear that Villa have a striker worth £30 million and our whole team would not rate half that. I think in terms of Math Lambert wins![/quote]Yeah, that makes perfect sense in regard to the point that was being made[Y]

I wouldn''t give Lambert a statue, as I feel 3 years isn''t enough.

But, I still would like Lambert to succeed, even I would quite like Villa to go down, just because they are bigger. Just like Newcastle and would much prefer Wigan to remain for another season.

I greatly respect the achievements that Lambert had at Norwich, and realistically him and McNally could be the start of something great as an era.

Considering what he could have been, but I will also give a little mention to Doncaster, as bad as he was...

His prudence and no ambition kept the debt below 30m and every year we seemed to make a loss and never really sold anyone of note (admittedly the ashton/green/earnie helped). But when you see Ipshit in 72m of debt, we could have been thinking only 4 more seasons to clear it.

The board who I was against for a large spell, particularly through my own ignorance. But as time as gone on, and car crashes have happened in football it seems sometimes, it''s better to be to be wrong and not get what you wish for.

So all in all, yes Lambert needs recognition, and especially McNally. But the board and Doncaster, whilst not having the brilliance of McNally they have to be considered to have had a foundation block effect but minimising the debt.

Great post Baracouda. But the foundation block that everything has been built on is the owners and their selfless backing of the club until the board got it right.

Would this be a good time to suggest a campaign to get a statue erected by maybe having car stickers printed to gain support ?

Morty. That''s a fair point (and highlights the good job Hughton has done), although I wasn''t reflecting on Lambert''s merits as a manager but rather the recognition he should receive from all Norwich fans.