Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Does Chris Hughton read this forum?

I find it curious that many posters are on here, baying for certain tactics, and on a number of occasions perhaps 4 or 5 games later, those changes have appeared - playing Snoddy on the left for instance comes to mind.

I''ve noticed this happen quite a few times this season.

Now I''m not for one second suggesting that Chris Hughton isnt his own man, but he strikes me as a man without much of an ego and that putting his ear to the wind every now and again is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Everyone knows how arrogant Glenn Roeder was, to have been aware or taken any notice of external opinions just wasnt in his make-up, but Chris Hughton seems a receptive respectful kind of guy.

I think it is not beyond the realms of possibility he may want to know what the man in the stands thinks and take this on board. He doesnt seem too arrogant to accept the viewpoint that the fans have been interested in his current crop of players far longer than he has.

We know some players monitor this forum, is it inconceivable our manager might (or at least have some spies)?

Lol, I very much doubt that Chris Hughton, Premiership football manager, scours this forum looking for inspiration.

There''s some good knowledge hidden in the depths of some posts on here, the modern football manager might just accept that the combined knowledge of fans very likely outweighs his own it''s just all the sifting through the bullcarp that makes this an inefficient way of adding a few percent to ones own understanding of the players.

[quote user="morty"]Lol, I very much doubt that Chris Hughton, Premiership football manager, scours this forum looking for inspiration.[/quote]

Not so much inspiration, but he does strike me as a chap who likes to try and keep people happy. Lose the fans, lose your job.

To not have a window on what the fans think would be ignorant, and he doesnt strike me as that kind of fellow

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"][quote user="morty"]Lol, I very much doubt that Chris Hughton, Premiership football manager, scours this forum looking for inspiration.[/quote]

Not so much inspiration, but he does strike me as a chap who likes to try and keep people happy. Lose the fans, lose your job.

To not have a window on what the fans think would be ignorant, and he doesnt strike me as that kind of fellow[/quote]Whilst I see what you''re saying, still a no from me.Lets face it, about 98% of football fans know nowt.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="The Great Mass Debater"][quote user="morty"]Lol, I very much doubt that Chris Hughton, Premiership football manager, scours this forum looking for inspiration.[/quote]

To not have a window on what the fans think would be ignorant, and he doesnt strike me as that kind of fellow[/quote]Whilst I see what you''re saying, still a no from me.Lets face it, about 98% of football fans know nowt.[/quote]

I beg to differ, Im sure we''ve all taken Accrington Stanley to Champions League glory in only 6 seasons on Football Manager... If that doesnt validate our credentials I dont know what does!

Only one way to find out and that is suggest something crazy and see if he does it.

So I am going for our usually defence but no midfield, 6 up front instead.

Ruddy

Whitaker Martin Bass Garrido

Benno Snoddy Wes Holt Kamara Pilks

Almost certainly.

If I was (or am ?) a player or manager I would have a look. I might even sign up and make the odd sneaky post as well....

If he goes with Holt, Hoolahan and Becchio today, plays for the win, which then comes in added time from a Holt far post header, obviously, yes. Any other outcome, he''s obviously not been reviewing the posts in sufficient detail.

For your own health I think you would have to turn a stubborn pair of blind eyes to the newspapers and message boards if you were a Premier League football manager.

I would assume that once Hughton is off the coaching field, out of his office or finished with meetings he tries to switch off from football as much as possible!   

As he is an experienced manager, and also is in day-to-day contact with the players, he is better placed to decide than we are. I would be very surprised if he had time, let alone inclination, to read this forum.

This is not to say that our feelings and demands are not retailed to him by others.

If he read this forum, he would''ve walked out of the club after the horrific abuse he gets on here from some of the tw@ts.

I''m sure Mr. Hughton is intelligent enough to know that a messageboard is not representative of a balanced view of what fans think.    He has the benefit of seeing and hearing what fans think at matches, a much more reliable guide to what the general feeling is. 

Heck yes...and you can see Paul Trollope checking it out on his iPad from the bench every game, getting up every so often to whisper in Chrissys ear what the Pink Un forum is suggesting for the next tactical move !

Honestly , a message board is the last place I would imagine a manager looking.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

For your own health I think you would have to turn a stubborn pair of blind eyes to the newspapers and message boards if you were a Premier League football manager.

I would assume that once Hughton is off the coaching field, out of his office or finished with meetings he tries to switch off from football as much as possible!   

[/quote]

Definitely agree with this. He would have to have self-esteem of steel to be able to view the posts directly with some of the stuff that is said about him. Maybe a measure of the man perhaps if he is able, I cant imagine managers like Neil Warnock or Tony Pulis for instance crying into their beer after having read a particularly stinging comment, but me personally, my ego would be far too fragile to read what people thought about me. I might want some spies to read for me though and give me the general concensus, whilst protecting me from the nasty side of it!

[quote user="Ketts Rebel"]

Almost certainly.

If I was (or am ?) a player or manager I would have a look. I might even sign up and make the odd sneaky post as well....

[/quote]

Maybe he is Ged Steeroo.... As it was the local elections, I was thinking about David Cameron (a frightening thought and not something I do often), and how he likes to try to look ''in touch'' and every so often comes out with something stupid like hug-a-hoody. Being a football manager is somewhat like being a party leader. Keep your members/backbenchers (ie the players) happy (something AVB and Scolari failed to do at Chelsea and paid the price for) whilst appearing to be listening to and caring about the thoughts of the electorate (the fans).

Hughton clearly wants to engage his ''followers'', look at the completely different media handling styles of Hughton and Lambert, so I just wanted to pose the suggestion that in aid of all this, he does tap into the grapevine from time to time?

Managers are all different but your post made me think about three very different styles when engaging their followers. Having witnessed most first hand at AGMs and fans forums I prefer Hughton''s style to the other two I will mention.

Glen Roeder - Not really listen to any points fans make and be very condescending in his replies in an attempt to make the fans seem worthless.

Paul Lambert - Be attentive, answer with a smile, make jokes and make the fans feel like they really matter but don''t really address their points.

Chris Hughton - Listen to the points being made and even with criticisms answer the points with honesty.

I guess every manager fits somewhere in those examples but every manager then goes away and does what he does. At the end of the day only the fans egos are at stake.

We know Huck''s is on this forum occasionally, but was this the case when he was an active player here? (Hucks if you''re reading please give us some insider info here)

Cant think that looking on here is any worse than some of the abuse the players open themselves up to by being on twitter (Ryan Bennett take a bow)

i hope so

dear chris, please quit so we dont have to this drivel next season

regards