Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

First Norwich City Game

They always say you never forget your first...

What was the first Norwich City game you attended?

For me it was Norwich Vs QPR in 1994 (4-2 to Norwich)

Mark Robins signed my programme :)

1-0 down at half time and feeling pretty depressed. 4 goals in 16 minutes second half, great times.

What was your first game?

Long, Long, time ago, in fact it was Saturday 7th September 1968 when we played (newly relegated from the old first division) Sheffield United.We won it 2-0 and I''ve been hooked ever since.  I still have the programme  priced at 1''-  that''s a shilling for you youngsters

Home game v scum. 1985 lost 0-2.

Away was earlier v Luton. We drew 2-2 but I can''t remember the year. I was quite young in my defence.

1978, Ipswich 4 Norwich 0, I was 8 - I think Brian Talbot scored a few and Mick Mills got one, but I could see eff-all. Several of my family are binners and went with them - I wasn''t really a supporter of anyone and had only ever seen footy on tv, so mostly Liverpool!...I saw the NCFC light in the early 80s when I was able to go to games with friends.

1963 at home to Newcastle in a midweek cup replay and we won 5-0 and then my second game was 3 days later when we beat Stoke 6-0 in a league game also at Carrow Road.

20th March 1976 Norwich 0 - liverpool 1. David Supersub Faircloughs first league goal iirc. :-(Thus started my obsession with watching the clock thinking "nine minutes left that''s loads of time to score, eight minutes left that''s loads of time to score, seven minutes left that''s loads of time to score........"

Jan 1974. FA Cup vs Arsenal, lost 1-0. I had badgered my (Rugby fan) Dad to go to a game, and he eventually caved in and took me. He never took me again !

May 1981. Last home game of the season versus already-relegated Leicester. Lost 3-2 with Jim Melrose scoring a hat-trick to send us down as well.

However, sitting on a crush barrier at the top of the Barclay, the most memorable part of this 8 year old''s day was that he''d seen Leicester goalie Mark Wallington''s luxuriant moustache in the flesh - a sight previously only marvelled at on Panini stickers and Topps cards.

Can remember nothing about the game, goals, line-ups, aggro afterwards - just that ''tache!

Sheffield United 2-0 Norwich.

Believe that was Mr Roeder''s last game

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

[quote user="morty"]4th January 1994.Norwich v Newcastle.Lost 2-1.[/quote]

Cole got the winner 10 mins from time . Never liked him after that.

[/quote]I don''t remember a whole lot about the game, it was kind of a date as well, and I paid more attention to her than I did to the pitch[:$]I didn''t go to another game for a bout 3 years as moved to Germany shortly after.

Was in 1984 against West Ham. Apparently we won 1-0. I had to look that up!

First game away from Carrow Road was the Milk Cup final, an old Sunderland fan gave me his scarf and told me that I''d won it.

First away game was a 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge in about 1987.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

[/quote]I don''t remember a whole lot about the game, it was kind of a date as well, and I paid more attention to her than I did to the pitch[:$]I didn''t go to another game for a bout 3 years as moved to Germany shortly after.[/quote]

Kraut binner

Villa away just before my 3rd birthday.
Was more interested in the Lenny the Lion mascot waving "to me" than the game. Shame, was a 3-3 draw (I just googled it) (April 28, 1990)

Lost, lost, lost,lost...... Surprised any of us in our "very late twenties" ever went back, maybe they put different things in they water back then as it seems us slightly older fans are a little more resilient to an adverse result than some of the younger members of the messageboard.

[quote user="Warren Hill"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

[/quote]I don''t remember a whole lot about the game, it was kind of a date as well, and I paid more attention to her than I did to the pitch[:$]I didn''t go to another game for a bout 3 years as moved to Germany shortly after.[/quote]

Kraut binner[/quote][:D]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

[quote user="morty"]4th January 1994.

Norwich v Newcastle.

Lost 2-1.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t remember a whole lot about the game, it was kind of a date as well, and I paid more attention to her than I did to the pitch[:$]

I didn''t go to another game for a bout 3 years as moved to Germany shortly after.
[/quote]

Ha ha ! like a lot of dates it probably started well (Bowen 4 minutes) then started to deteriorate (Beardsley 20) got a bit boring for a while until disaster (Cole 80) .

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

Ha ha ! like a lot of dates it probably started well (Bowen 4 minutes) then started to deteriorate (Beardsley 20) got a bit boring for a while until disaster (Cole 80) .

[/quote]The evening wasn''t a total loss.[:)]

[quote user="Zak Burger"]Lost, lost, lost,lost...... Surprised any of us in our "very late twenties" ever went back, maybe they put different things in they water back then as it seems us slightly older fans are a little more resilient to an adverse result than some of the younger members of the messageboard.

[/quote]

Interesting point Zak. I wonder if the games we cut our teeth on helped form how we are as a supporter. If the first couple of seasons were late 80s early 90s then inbuilt expectations could be higher than those who''s first games were during a crap period. My first game was Sheffield Wednesday in 1967. My first seasons were at a time when the top division and MOTD was never anything to do with us. I never thought we''d play at that level. Is that why my expectations are not as high as some others seem to be?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

[quote user="morty"]4th January 1994.

Norwich v Newcastle.

Lost 2-1.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t remember a whole lot about the game, it was kind of a date as well, and I paid more attention to her than I did to the pitch[:$]

I didn''t go to another game for a bout 3 years as moved to Germany shortly after.
[/quote]

[/quote]

The evening wasn''t a total loss.

[:)]
[/quote]

Ha ha . Excellent.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I never thought we''d play at that level. Is that why my expectations are not as high as some others seem to be?

[/quote]

You and I are from a byegone era when the fat kid with glasses and an inhaler was always the last to be picked by team captains and last to finish in the 60 yard dash on sportsdays. The fat kid of today comes equal first in any race, he has to be picked early and as a result does not deal with real lifes failures and losses particularly well as the concept is foreign to him

Which of course makes it Tony Blairs fault they squawk "howton out" at every opportunity but tbh "Steve in the mall" on last saturdays cabbage call sounded old enough to know better. 

We lost the first four games I attended, didn''t score in three of them but right from day one I always believed we could and we would, still do more the fool.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]They always say you never forget your first...[/quote]I''ve forgotten my first game but in my defence it was in 1956 when I was 7. The first games that I really remember were versus Ilford, Swindon, Man Utd & Cardiff in the Cup run of 1959. For the Man U game I sat on the cinder track in front of the main stand & for the Cardiff game I was perched on one of the vertical railway sleepers at the back of the uncovered section of the Barclay.Because of the big crowds I wasn''t allowed to go to the games against Spurs, Sheff Utd or Luton although my Father went to all those games, home & away.I can also remember the Easter Monday game at home to Halifax Town on 30th March 1959 - we won 3-1. The crowd was 30,000. Interestingly, the reverse fixture was played at Halifax the next day - we drew 1-1 but I didn''t go.My first away game was against Mansfield Town on Boxing Day 1959. We lost 3-2 & I remember that it poured with rain the whole match & the pitch was like a lake.

My Dad took me to two or three games in the late sixties.  I can''t remember who the first one was against, as I was very young but I know we won 2 -0 .   I remember the second as it was the 6-0 against Birmingham.  Not a bad introduction [:)].     Interesting for me is that whenever I went with my Dad we never lost.