Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Playing style next season

There''s no denying it. Chris Hughton dramatically changed the playing style of this club from the Lambo style when he first walked in (would be really interested to know what his notes said after allegedly watching all those DVDs pre-season).

He took the 7th top scoring team and clipped their wings in order to provide a solid base. IMO, he felt the players were not good enough to go toe-to-toe with the Premiership, and so decided the best approach this season was to shut-up-shop and hope for the best.

That is this season.

The reason for this post is to ask the question - will it be the same next season.

Obviously its massively dependant on which league we will be in, but for the sake of argument, lets discuss this in the ''we stay up'' scenario.

As has been said before, Chris Hughtons tactics with Norwich this season are not indicative of his general style of play. With Newcastle and Birmingham, his style was very much attacking.

All of this leads me to think (and hope) that Chris Hughton does not see Norwich City''s Premiership future as a war of attrtition, but took this approach this season as a verdict on the players he inherited.

Watching us this season has been so frustrating, as I know we can play better. I am taking the singing of RVW as evidence that Hughton plans to do major things with this team next season, and that the brand of football we''ve played this season was means to an end.

With his team, his players we could be transformed - he seems to have done half the job already with the defence.

So my question is this. IF we stay up, how do you think we will play next season?

His players = attacking football?

or

Better players same system/approach?

Please God let it be the former, and lets spank Villa to make sure it happens!

Same formation but with better players, two new wingers with pace and an attacking midfielder who does not go sideways all the time. Maybe a new holding midfielder with good retention and distribution. Should actually get into the opposition''s half then.

Currently we don''t attack away from home and only attack very slightly more at home, so I''d like to see a massive improvement there.

(If by some poor chance we were relegated, then I hope that in the Championship we would show more attacking flair. Assuming we get RvW, and barring injury, we should score many more goals without sacrificing defensive stability.)

On the assumption that we remain in the Premiership, I would expect more attacking, because any further (expensive) signings should improve the defence and midifield, with more pace and skill. In the past I have seen Birmingham sides managed by CH and with players like Redmond were very attacking. They tended to be a little week in front of goal, like us currently, but there was no mistaking the fluidity and pace of attack.

Surely RvW is the centre of hope - his ability round the box means that if the team supply him well there should be more goals. Add to this a signing or two in the midfield and perhaps in back four will further strenthen our defence.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Currently we don''t attack away from home and only attack very slightly more at home, so I''d like to see a massive improvement there.[/quote]  one of our main problems is that we have probably the slowest squad in this division. this must be addressed this Summer.

"star_manic" one of our main problems is that we have probably the slowest squad in this division. this must be addressed this Summer.