Sign in to follow this  
NottsCanary

Green, Francis or Money?

I would like everyones views on if we would rather have...

a) Green and Francis in the first team at home to Coventry;

b) Sell Francis for £2-3million and keep Green, use money in other areas;

c) Sell Green £2-3million and keep Francis, use money in other areas;

d) Sell both players and use the money to increase squad depth and re-fill the gaps.

I would personally like to think that we are in such a position where we don''t need to sell either player to try and buy a defender. We will be needing a right back IMO, but I think we would be better off keeping the two players proposed and not spending as much on a defender. If Francis can recapture his best form of last year then I think it would be a great midfield with Safri, Francis and Jarrett competing for places in the middle. And obvioulsy Green in this division will get us a lot of important points in places we may not deserve to...

So I would like prospect A

Thoughts?

Agree with you - A, we need quality players with potential and Grenn & Francis fit the bill.

[quote]I would like everyones views on if we would rather have... a) Green and Francis in the first team at home to Coventry; b) Sell Francis for £2-3million and keep Green, use money in other areas; c) S...[/quote]

My preference is in the order you have shown - a,b,c,d with a very heavy preference for a.

A sound keeper behind basically the same defence as last season (with flem being replaced) gives us the perfect platform to build a season on.  Buying a back up rightback is the only must at the back.

In midfield Damo will have to improve to keep his place with Jarrett pushing him for a place and that alone will remove some of his complacency - a further central midfielder is also needed to give us real cover but two from Jarrett, Francis ad safri looks good.

Replacing both or either means unsettlement as thekeeper and defence learn each others styles strengths and weaknesses and losing Damo means back to needing another 2 players for the middle of the park - and getting someone who can play to damos level is not easy and will not be cheap - we didwell to get him when we did. 

With a stable side and talented indiviuals we have the ingredients to succeed.

OTBC

Option B for me definitely, however if a really stupid offer comes in for Greeno then sell him too.  Francis clearly has his heart set on a move away from Carrow Road and judging by his woeful performance against Fulham, we wont be missing much. The money brought in from the transfer could be used to cover the areas of concern and could help to reach the ''A-list'' targets.

Bye Fran and good riddance  

idealy A, but then again it could be any.

If a good price comes in then, sure why not? let them go, fair enough. But as its looking at the moment, niether player has anywhere TO go, so probably we are not going to recieve any bids for them at all.

But who knows whats going on behind the scenes.......

As far as im concerned, aslong as the players a focused on the new season, thats good. Im just hoping that its for norwich!

[quote]I would like everyones views on if we would rather have... a) Green and Francis in the first team at home to Coventry; b) Sell Francis for £2-3million and keep Green, use money in other areas; c) S...[/quote]

Option A for me Jamie.

5 million plus is always handy, but then you have to buy 2 players of the same standard, and ''bed'' them in.

So, fingers crossed, they''ll still be here.

Definitely D for me.  At the moment we haven''t got the strength in depth, even for the 1st div.  We need to buy quality players for the future and that needs hard cash.  Green and Francis won''t get us promoted on their own; a good squad will get us promoted though

Option C.

We have players at the club who can step in for Green and we wouldn''t notice too much, but a proven goal scoring midfielder in the mould of Francis is a much harder find.

Get Francis back on track with desire and determination to play for Norwich City, and he''d be the best midfielder in the league by some distance.

For me it''s :d) Sell both players and use the money to increase squad depth and re-fill the gaps.The 6 mil we would get for them two would be well enough to find players who would get us straight back up.Ww wouldnt need to buy another keeper, cause we have enough back up there.So the whole 6 mil would be used for outfield players, i''d personally wet my pants if Worthy had that to spend on getting us out of this league, cause i know for a fact, he''d bring in the right players and we''d go back up again.

A for me.

I understand why people want Damo to go, I was also furious after the Fulham game, but if he is still here next season it means that the reason we all presumed for his down-turn in form (i.e. he had already agreed terms to move to Fulham or Charlton) must be wrong. I would love to know what the problem was though, it needs addressing. As someone else points out (sorry, I can''t see posters names by each post for some reason) maybe he just needs competition for his place?

Selling Greeno and Francis to raise funds to buy a strong Championship squad would, IMO, be short sighted. We need to bring in players who can help us get promotion AND be competitive in the Premiership, both Greeno and Francis fall into this category. We already have enough players to buy, although the extra money would help I fear that if we have too much squad change this summer it will take too long for the team to gel. Especially with so many home games early on in the season, we HAVE to start the season well; with lots of new faces, this will not be easy.

Currently Green, Shacks, Francis and Deano are our backbone, we must try and keep them together.

[quote]A for me. I understand why people want Damo to go, I was also furious after the Fulham game, but if he is still here next season it means that the reason we all presumed for his down-turn in form (i....[/quote]

It wasn`t a downturn in form Putney, it was a downturn in attitude !   Francis  took his foot off the pedal  for us over the last 4 months of the season , thinking he was a cert for a move back to the smoke  at seasons end ..  and it backfired on him , big time !    I don`t know what he uses for brains,  but strolling around the park for months on end , and having the nerve to draw a big wage every week for this , really gets up my nose !!  and would NOT have impressed ANY club eying him up, this is borne out by the total lack of interest  in him !   

The same goes for Green .. a supposed England keeper  who lets in 78  goals  ....  again , we have  had NO interest from other clubs.

The harsh truth is that NO club wants these two ,  so the millions  that  are being bandied about in fees for them  is a waste of breath ... we`re STUCK with them 

The best thing that Worthy can do , next season , is to stick both of them  on the bench it will give them time to sort their heads out, and adjust their attitudes !!!    , we have good keepers  waiting in the wings , and  Worthy should be able to buy  a decent player  to fill Francis`s position , lets face it , shouldn`t cost too much!

I like option D. If Greeno and Francis are still here at the start of the season they could find themselves sitting on the bench. Worthy might try Jarret and Saffri in central midfield and he obviously has 3 options other than Greeno to go between the sticks.

Sheded -stick Greeno on the bench?  I''ll have a pint of what you''ve been drinking please.

[quote]Sheded -stick Greeno on the bench? I''ll have a pint of what you''ve been drinking please.[/quote]

Afraid  I was sober when I posted that Dicky ,   maybe if I  got real drunk  I would believe that Francis and Greeno  are club assets  ...

Sheded - re Francis, you might well be right (I always find it a worrying sign when players decide they need their own website). My point was that we all presumed he was off to Fulham after the game there, he hasn''t gone yet so maybe there is another reason for his form / effort. It *could* be related to his injury, he hasn''t been as good since. I am willing to give him another chance in the hope that whatever was wrong, can be put right. Replacing him (his best form) will not be easy, especially in the Championship.

Re Greeno, we have discussed his abilities on other threads, we may as well agree to disagree. I will never agree that his attitude is off however, and just don''t believe that Worthy will put him on the bench OR that he deserves that either!

OK by me Putney !    both Francis and Greeno  could be examples of players  believing their own hype , and their agents hype !!!    unfortunately for both of them   clubs are run by  hard faced realists  !  

Sheded - I''m starting to come back around to your way of thinking on Francis. After the Fulham game I was furious with him and wanted him out. I then calmed down, remembered his good games, and hoped there was another explanation for his downturn that meant he could do a good job for us again. After his latest agent''s comments, and no word from Francis to refute them, the sooner he goes the better.

I still disagree with you about Greeno though!