Sign in to follow this  
Warren Hill

Hughton and improvement

As the season crawls over broken glass to it’s conclusion, a lot of those that aren’t rendering the Samaritans engaged or queuing up on the roof of St Stephens car park like yellow clad lemmings, are giving Chris Hughton the benefit of the doubt.

As long as we improve, that is.

Of course improvement is subjective, I think most people would argue that we have improved defensively this year, I think most people would argue that the signings we have made, Bassong, Turner, Garrido, Whittaker, Tettey, Snodgrass etc have improved our squad. I’d go as far as to say that they have improved our starting 11.

Yet we have fewer points than last year and still aren’t mathematically assured of Premier League football with only 3 games to go. Six pointers, cup-finals, just another game, all the old clichés are being peddled, depending on who you speak or listen to depends which way they are spun. But with this being the scenario, us nervously glancing over our shoulder like an elderly woman being followed by a youth with his hood up, people are struggling to see the improvement.

That’s understandable. In the Premier League you have to improve to stand still, you can improve and go backwards. Look at QPR, perhaps not a great example if the apparent dressing room divide is to be believed, but even at a very base level, people were clamouring for ‘Arry to be given the England job, the best English manager available – he’s ended up at QPR and been wholly unable to arrest their slide, having spent millions in the process.  Aston Villa have signed Benteke, recruited Lambert, yet find themselves languishing exactly where Big Eck left them.

Season on season, you have to improve your stock or you’ll pay the consequences.

Our biggest problem is that we haven’t improved in one particular area of the team. In January we didn’t get our striker.  Swansea and West Brom’s upwardly mobile status has been helped massively by messrs Michu and Lukaku and I’m utterly convinced that relegation would be done and dusted had Villa not unearthed Benteke. United stepped up from being last season’s bridesmaids with the help of Robin Van Persie, even QPR flattered to deceive for a brief period once Loic Remy joined.

Now, I’m sure Chris Hughton would have loved to have brought in a striker in the summer, let alone January but for whatever reason it didn’t happen. Whether that was because we couldn’t afford it, wouldn’t break our wage structure or simply wouldn’t be held to ransom is irrelevant, the bottom line is that it didn’t happen.

Thankfully it looks like we are going to be fine irrespective of this failure. Thankfully the squad we have is strong enough to see us through anyway. It’s strong enough because it has been improved just enough, improved by the recruitment of better players, recruited by Chris Hughton.

Would it be too much of a stretch to see we should be thankful to Mr Hughton? I suppose that rests on what happens between now and the end of the season but the likelihood is that we will survive, and with Ricky Van Wolfswinkel already signed and positive twitterings and murmurings from McNally and co, is it unrealistic to think that we could be upwardly mobile next season?

Possibly.

What is clear is that we are intent on improving our playing squad again; just don’t be too surprised if it only means we stand still.

Its a good post and improvement can be judged in many ways as you have pointed out.

I wouldn''t care if next year we are sitting at this time in the same position on the same points (i''d rather we weren''t!) if both the squad has been further improved, but more importantly, the standard of our football has improved.

If we start 2 DM next year in any game but against the top clubs (where it can kind of be understood) I will be bitterly disappointed.

[quote user="Leedscanary"]Binner[/quote]Damn you, I was just about to post that.[;)]

Blame the strikers all you wish BUT if the midfield isnt providing the service (whether it be in the odd game or over the season) they will not score.

Ball retention has been woeful this year.

A post sadly incorrect and deeply flawed....

"Now, I’m sure Chris Hughton would have loved to have brought in a striker in the summer, let alone January but for whatever reason it didn’t happen."

No. Hughton didn''t bring a striker in January....he brought in two.....

They may not have been his first choice, or even his second.....but one of them had scored 19 goals this season by the first week of January....Norwich fans haven''t yet got a clue whether he will ever score a goal for Norwich.......

January proved we needed something different. 6 shots on target over 4 PL matches suggested a team devoid of creativity, let alone potency, a team far removed from Lambert''s creation.

March brought what must be an all-time low for a Norwich City team competing at any time, at any level. 3 shots on target in the four matches throughout March is about as woeful as it can get, yet we still don''t know whether Becchio can cut the mustard.

So not only is our goal-scoring woefully lacking compared to last season, but our passing and crossing is unquestionably of a lower standard.

So that leaves improvement in just one area - defence.....and even that is massaged by the imposing presence of Bassong.

Norwich have been embarrassed (and by that I mean conceding four goals or more in a game) six times this season....last season it occurred just twice against last season''s rampant champions. We have so far conceded 54 goals. I wouldn''t be at all surprised if we were to concede another 6 goals over the last three games. This would take us to a goals against figure just six goals shy of last season, indicating that any improvement in defence has been marginal.

Norwich have failed to muster a single shot on target in three of their last eight games.If this is improvement, under Hughton''s tenure then God help the paying City supporter if we start to regress.

[quote user="unique"]A post sadly incorrect and deeply flawed.... "Now, I’m sure Chris Hughton would have loved to have brought in a striker in the summer, let alone January but for whatever reason it didn’t happen." No. Hughton didn''t bring a striker in January....he brought in two..... They may not have been his first choice, or even his second.....but one of them had scored 19 goals this season by the first week of January....Norwich fans haven''t yet got a clue whether he will ever score a goal for Norwich....... January proved we needed something different. 6 shots on target over 4 PL matches suggested a team devoid of creativity, let alone potency, a team far removed from Lambert''s creation. March brought what must be an all-time low for a Norwich City team competing at any time, at any level. 3 shots on target in the four matches throughout March is about as woeful as it can get, yet we still don''t know whether Becchio can cut the mustard. So not only is our goal-scoring woefully lacking compared to last season, but our passing and crossing is unquestionably of a lower standard. So that leaves improvement in just one area - defence.....and even that is massaged by the imposing presence of Bassong. Norwich have been embarrassed (and by that I mean conceding four goals or more in a game) six times this season....last season it occurred just twice against last season''s rampant champions. We have so far conceded 54 goals. I wouldn''t be at all surprised if we were to concede another 6 goals over the last three games. This would take us to a goals against figure just six goals shy of last season, indicating that any improvement in defence has been marginal. Norwich have failed to muster a single shot on target in three of their last eight games.If this is improvement, under Hughton''s tenure then God help the paying City supporter if we start to regress.[/quote]

Especially the Match Thread Brigade! Don''t tell me they started charging for that now....

Thanks for your input Unique. I think you spectacularly miss the salient point and demonstrate a fundamental lack of comprehension of exactly what the OP was all about.

Perhaps I should have worded the paragraph regarding an incoming striker differently, however, the fact (that you identify?) is that Kamara was brought in as a gamble and Becchio was part of the Morison deal. So our net gain was an on loan winger/striker in January.

Now, your opinion, which of course is at least as valid as mine, is that we have regressed from last season.

Fine, let''s disagree on that. I''m very much of the opinion that had we been playing Tierney, Ward, Fox etc we would be down already. The point I was trying to convey is that while we have undoubtedly improved our squad, we have not improved our points tally or our league position.

Because you HAVE to improve just to stand still. Which is why the excitement surrounding signings like RVW gives an increased level of optimism, I temper that by thinking that improving the squad again this summer still might only be enough to keep us a surviving bottom half side.

I''m sure we all hope that we become a slick, quick breaking, position interchanging attack machine but I think it''s going to be a fair few seasons, if ever, before we do anything but aspire to secure safety.

Improving to stand still. To improve at a rate quicker than that, for the most part, takes spectacular investment or a good deal of luck, neither of which we''ve had.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Leedscanary"]Binner[/quote]Damn you, I was just about to post that.[;)][/quote]
Of course you were Morty, it''s just the kind of irrelevant post you would make to completely ignore the OP - which is in fact a damned good post. Why''ve you never made a post this good Morty? No wait, don''t answer that. We''ve no need to suffer your nonsense some more.
(I will predict your reply with:Dry your pants
Binner ad infinitum
Stop moaning
Support your team
etc. etc.)

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Leedscanary"]Binner[/quote]Damn you, I was just about to post that.[;)][/quote]
Of course you were Morty, it''s just the kind of irrelevant post you would make to completely ignore the OP - which is in fact a damned good post. Why''ve you never made a post this good Morty? No wait, don''t answer that. We''ve no need to suffer your nonsense some more.
Binner ad infinitum
Stop moaning
Support your team
etc. etc.)
[/quote]Oh do shut your whining, I personally know Warren. Take your proxy outrage and shove it in your ricker.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Leedscanary"]Binner[/quote]Damn you, I was just about to post that.[;)][/quote]
Binner ad infinitum
Stop moaning
Support your team
etc. etc.)
[/quote]Oh do shut your whining, I personally know Warren. Take your proxy outrage and shove it in your ricker.[/quote]

Ah yes, the "whining" comment.  How original.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Leedscanary"]Binner[/quote]Damn you, I was just about to post that.[;)][/quote]
Binner ad infinitum
Stop moaning
Support your team
etc. etc.)
[/quote]Oh do shut your whining, I personally know Warren. Take your proxy outrage and shove it in your ricker.[/quote]

Ah yes, the "whining" comment.  How original.

[/quote]Oh shut your tedious, old lady whining.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Keep it up and you might get to 15,000 posts by tomorrow.   [/quote]Oh I do hope so.You do realise that criticising someone for internet usage, when the entire world uses it now, is just about the most pathetically feeble way you could try and score petty points?Not withstanding the obvious irony that you are also on said internet.You''re really not very good at this, are you?

It''s not about internet usage, Morty. It''s about the content you are adding to it. You''ve not been constructive or added anything to the thread at all, and I''m aware in calling you out on your rubbish I''ve sunken to your level but the thing is, I have been in many other threads. Literally your vocabulary is so miniscule your posts have about a variety of ten differences before you start repeating the same posts over and over. You have no reason and no logic, you just post daft off hand comments. All I''m saying is I implore you to become a more diverse poster with well thought out posts and something more beyond "Binner" or "Pant wetter" or whatever is hip and cool on the forums these days.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As for the OP, I think from the end of this season the overall expectation would to then improve season upon season until we eventually hit whatever our ceiling is. So next season I would hope for a top half finish, or maybe just outside of that. The season after possibly the same finish again but with improvements to the club, such as plans for our stadium or whatever. I know it''s going to be a long way off, but perhaps this gradual improvement could see us vying for Europe. Ultimately though, if we are in the same position this time next year I''m going to have been asking serious questions about our aim as a football club. In taking over, Hughton has pretty much killed off the clubs forward momentum. It''s arguably changed the direction of our club, the momentum picked up from two promotions and a fair finish in our first season could have seen us push on from there - but there was a general acceptance this season that we''d take a step back from that and try and grow roots in the premier league.

In my view there have been signs of improvement in some areas and signs of regression in others.

I do accept that we look a more solid outfit. Other than when Bassong has been missing we are generally always in the game and much more capable of keeping clean sheets and because of this we have a better ability to grind out draws and narrow wins than previously. Our tactics against the bigger teams are better and this has resulted in 2 fully deserved wins against big clubs at Carrow Road, achieved in a "relatively comfortable" manner than I am not convinced we would have been able to achieve last season. I also agree that the signings made have been good and have improved the squad and the team.

However on the flipside our attacking game has regressed and we appear devoid of creativity. Whilst the new players have improved the team virtually all of the players we had previously have (with the exception of Martin, Johnson, Ruddy and for a spell earlier in the season Wes) regressed from where they were last May and are not playing at the same level. The squad players do not get enough game time and consequently look rusty when they are called upon. Our away form and our ability to pick up 3 points on the road has fallen off a cliff.

So for me its been a real mixed bag this season but the really frustrating thing is that i think most of the negatives could have been avoided had Hughton had a bit more faith in the players at his disposal. I can understand why he felt he needed to prioritise the defence and our defensive record and make us much harder to beat but in doing so almost completely at the expense of our attacking play and our away record I think he has not got the balance right and has made life unnecessarily difficult in the second half of this season.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt (if we stay up) and give him a chance to show he can put out a more positive, attacking team next season if he gets the players he wants in the summer but its going to take more than just lumping RVW up front to change things. RVW (and this is us all assuming he''s good and will be a success don;t forget) would not have scored many more than Holt this season because the service has generally been utterly dire and he''s had a bit of a thankless task up there. We will need 2 or 3 other decent creative players and more importantly a significantish change in mentality if we are to improve next season as we all hope.

I am not so sure the strikers are the problem. Our passing is down on last season and been getting worse as the season has progressed. It is not going to matter who starts up front when we play a midfield of Howson, Tettey and Johnson.

[quote user="Stig"]It''s not about internet usage, Morty. It''s about the content you are adding to it. You''ve not been constructive or added anything to the thread at all, and I''m aware in calling you out on your rubbish I''ve sunken to your level but the thing is, I have been in many other threads. Literally your vocabulary is so miniscule your posts have about a variety of ten differences before you start repeating the same posts over and over. You have no reason and no logic, you just post daft off hand comments. All I''m saying is I implore you to become a more diverse poster with well thought out posts and something more beyond "Binner" or "Pant wetter" or whatever is hip and cool on the forums these days.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As for the OP, I think from the end of this season the overall expectation would to then improve season upon season until we eventually hit whatever our ceiling is. So next season I would hope for a top half finish, or maybe just outside of that. The season after possibly the same finish again but with improvements to the club, such as plans for our stadium or whatever. I know it''s going to be a long way off, but perhaps this gradual improvement could see us vying for Europe. Ultimately though, if we are in the same position this time next year I''m going to have been asking serious questions about our aim as a football club. In taking over, Hughton has pretty much killed off the clubs forward momentum. It''s arguably changed the direction of our club, the momentum picked up from two promotions and a fair finish in our first season could have seen us push on from there - but there was a general acceptance this season that we''d take a step back from that and try and grow roots in the premier league.
[/quote]I literally could not give a flying fig what you think.Seriously, shove your opinion of me where the sun doesn''t shine. You have no say whatsoever on what I do here.Now poke off.[:)]

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]

[/quote]

I dont mind starting with 2 DM every game if they can pass the ball.    Its the inability to pass the ball,  midfield sitting to deep and a complete lack of movement from those ahead of the ball player than has caused us so much problem.   2 dms, one who cant pass together with a lack of movement and crammed into 20 yards of your own half is a recipe for disaster.

Apart from Wes not one midfield player actuall demands the ball  - and that is wrong.

Movement, passing ability and 10 yards high up the pitch please - and two def midfielders can and does work.  

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

I dont mind starting with 2 DM every game if they can pass the ball.    Its the inability to pass the ball,  midfield sitting to deep and a complete lack of movement from those ahead of the ball player than has caused us so much problem.   2 dms, one who cant pass together with a lack of movement and crammed into 20 yards of your own half is a recipe for disaster.

Apart from Wes not one midfield player actuall demands the ball  - and that is wrong.

Movement, passing ability and 10 yards high up the pitch please - and two def midfielders can and does work.  

[/quote]

I agree with this. Despite the fact his form has tailed off we still generally look a much better side with Wes playing because he shows for the ball and generally gives the DM''s a relatively easy outball and as a consequence we are able to keep possession better. For this reason I really hope Hughton is considering bringing him back on Saturday.

For me if Wes is not going to play then priorities for the summer are a Wesesque player to play behind RVW and a holding midfielder who can pass and dictate tempo better to play alongside either Johnson or Tettey. He''s probably unrealistic for us (and probably always was) but from what i saw of that Biglia character that sort of player is what we need.

Add to that a rapid left winger and another decent CB and we will be looking a lot better.

And of course it is not just about who is in the squad. As some have said we could have signed RVP and scored just as few goals if he is not given the service. The way the team is set up and the tactics etc have not moved us forward at all and seem to have more than outweighed the improvements in playing quality.   I have not seen any real progression since August last year (the team still don''t really gel, there is little fluidity, confidence seems low and jittery, the passing out of defence and midfield patchy and little energy in attack through central midfield to pick out a few issues) which worries me and that is what alarms me about how things may pan out next season.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Stig"]It''s not about internet usage, Morty. It''s about the content you are adding to it. You''ve not been constructive or added anything to the thread at all, and I''m aware in calling you out on your rubbish I''ve sunken to your level but the thing is, I have been in many other threads. Literally your vocabulary is so miniscule your posts have about a variety of ten differences before you start repeating the same posts over and over. You have no reason and no logic, you just post daft off hand comments. All I''m saying is I implore you to become a more diverse poster with well thought out posts and something more beyond "Binner" or "Pant wetter" or whatever is hip and cool on the forums these days.

[/quote]

I literally could not give a flying fig what you think.

Seriously, shove your opinion of me where the sun doesn''t shine. You have no say whatsoever on what I do here.

Now poke off.

[:)]
[/quote]

What an odious toad you are sir.

[quote user="dpj canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Stig"]It''s not about internet usage, Morty. It''s about the content you are adding to it. You''ve not been constructive or added anything to the thread at all, and I''m aware in calling you out on your rubbish I''ve sunken to your level but the thing is, I have been in many other threads. Literally your vocabulary is so miniscule your posts have about a variety of ten differences before you start repeating the same posts over and over. You have no reason and no logic, you just post daft off hand comments. All I''m saying is I implore you to become a more diverse poster with well thought out posts and something more beyond "Binner" or "Pant wetter" or whatever is hip and cool on the forums these days.

[/quote]I literally could not give a flying fig what you think.Seriously, shove your opinion of me where the sun doesn''t shine. You have no say whatsoever on what I do here.Now poke off.[:)][/quote]

[/quote]See my answer to the other idiot.[:)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="dpj canary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Stig"]It''s not about internet usage, Morty. It''s about the content you are adding to it. You''ve not been constructive or added anything to the thread at all, and I''m aware in calling you out on your rubbish I''ve sunken to your level but the thing is, I have been in many other threads. Literally your vocabulary is so miniscule your posts have about a variety of ten differences before you start repeating the same posts over and over. You have no reason and no logic, you just post daft off hand comments. All I''m saying is I implore you to become a more diverse poster with well thought out posts and something more beyond "Binner" or "Pant wetter" or whatever is hip and cool on the forums these days.

[/quote]I literally could not give a flying fig what you think.Seriously, shove your opinion of me where the sun doesn''t shine. You have no say whatsoever on what I do here.Now poke off.[:)][/quote]

[/quote]See my answer to the other idiot.[:)][/quote]Pant-wetting, happy-clapping, whining, inner/outer circle troll binners![A]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can certainly relate to the frustration and at times Tettey especially seems to completely lose his radar. However, I think we always seem to want what we haven''t got. Mark Fotheringham (there''s a name to conjure with!) used to demand the ball and he used to retain possession pretty well too. The fans hated him. Now I''m not suggesting for a minute that he''d benefit us now but...

But you are right that 2 DMs can work, it will be interesting to see how we set up when we have overhauled the attacking options. Isn''t Frank Lampard out of contract....?

Also, with regard to this "If we''d signed RVP he wouldn''t have scored any more than Holt/Kamara/Morison/Jackson etc because our delivery is so bad" - poppycock. I suppose the volley he scored the other night was down to an inch perfect pass from Rooney, a tap in if you will. I understand that some fans are frustrated, but a world class player wouldn''t suddenly become a line-running substitute for The Dog and Duck because he has put a Norwich shirt on.

I see that top-half finishes and Europe have been mentioned. That interests me, Swansea and Wigan will both be in Europe next year via the cups, surely that is the only likely route we can aim for. A top half finish is feasible in as much as we aren''t really that far off this season - really - but finishing higher than, what, 9th? Is that realistic?

[quote user="morty"]If the club made the buyback scheme more realistic then you could have used that.

But last time I looked it was something stupid like a fiver, and you don''t even get the money, I think it counts as a credit against next years season ticket!

[/quote]

FAO morty - OT
got your msg but the thread seems to have been deleted. I totally agree. I did actually call the club this morning to ask about buy back as I''ve not been in this situation before. They said I would get 6 or 8 quid. But that would be a credit as a discount, NOT off next seasons season ticket, but off the following seasons season ticket. That''s pretty pathetic. I would like to use the scheme and allow the club to make a bit more money but they should at least offer half the sale price. What would they have sold it for? £40?