Sign in to follow this  
unique

"Dog eat dog business"....

I know there is always pressure from the press to get interviews from the players, but I remember the days under Worthington and Roeder when all the bravado counted for nothing once the players walked onto the pitch.

Unfortunate choice of words from Howson just as Villa''s performance against Sunderland represented a Rottweiller, whilst Norwich''s performance against Stoke was more akin to a Poodle........

[quote user="unique"]I know there is always pressure from the press to get interviews from the players, but I remember the days under Worthington and Roeder when all the bravado counted for nothing once the players walked onto the pitch.

Unfortunate choice of words from Howson just as Villa''s performance against Sunderland represented a Rottweiller, whilst Norwich''s performance against Stoke was more akin to a Poodle........[/quote]

Its amazing how fans forget things.   Stoke are renowned for being a difficult club to play at home.   Over the last few seasons they nullify most teams that go there.   People this season pick and choose their highlights - or lowlights - selectively - and paint a jaundiced picture of what we are doing at Norwich.  Yes, chances have been hard to come by - that is obvious, but actually some of our recent performances have been very good and  Stoke is recognised as being one of the hardest games of the season.

And talking about Sunderland - didn''t we go there recently and put in a terrific performance against them too,  despite the odds ?   And we were all over them at CR for the first half of the game earlier in the season.

People paint the picture they want to paint.   Failing to recognise improvements when they are there and focus on the bad points all the time.  Stoke is Stoke.   We did ok against Sunderland too.     Sometimes I think people are  jealous of AV because they''ve got our precious Mr. Lambert.   Join the real world,  we are Hughton''s yellow army now.    Or you can wallow in self-pity and not see things as they really are.

Well said LDC, and to add to your comment:

"Stoke are renowned for being a difficult club to play at home"

As are we this season, we are hard to beat this season at FCR, so why do so many people think Villa will come here and roll us over?

I admit they did play well against Sunderland and some of the passing amd movement was superb by Villa, but we will be at our best too and in all reality I still call this one a score draw, 2-2.

[quote user="lake district canary"]and not see things as they really are.[/quote]For me this is the key line in your entire post LDC.You claim that anyone who doubts the job Hughton is doing, is not seeing things correctly, whereas those of us who hold those doubts can''t understand why fans such as yourself can''t seem to see the issues that we do.Whatever gets said on here during the week, we''ll still have 25k fans turning up each week to support their team, but just like it has under managers like Worthy, Roeder, Grant and Gunn - don''t expect that support to sit blindly by if they think things are going down the toilet, because in the past when we have dithered and given people time, it''s usually been too much time and has cost us badly...

I dont think people are choosing Stoke as a lowlight they are highlighting it because the type of performance we turned in was very similar to quite a number of other performances sway from home albeit I accept probably a little bit worse.

Stoke are s**t so I don''t know why you are making out going there is akin to playing at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge! Villa won there relatively easily and they had not win at home for quite a while before we came along with our no attack policy.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]and not see things as they really are.[/quote]For me this is the key line in your entire post LDC.  You claim that anyone who doubts the job Hughton is doing, is not seeing things correctly, whereas those of us who hold those doubts can''t understand why fans such as yourself can''t seem to see the issues that we do.  Whatever gets said on here during the week, we''ll still have 25k fans turning up each week to support their team, but just like it has under managers like Worthy, Roeder, Grant and Gunn - don''t expect that support to sit blindly by if they think things are going down the toilet, because in the past when we have dithered and given people time, it''s usually been too much time and has cost us badly...[/quote]

Its ok to have doubts IB,  its just that some people will always try to see the bad side and not recognise positives that are there.   People think I am Mr Positive, but quite often all I am doing is trying to get people to see the balanced view.   There will be a time next season to judge Hughton - when he has had  a chance to develop his own team more.  Being pitched into this season like he was I think we owe him that. 

Often things don''t go well - but as I said in my previous post, just focusing on bad things actually clouds the things that are going well - and do you deny we''ve had some good performances of late in amongst some not so good ones?   Its not all black and white as some would like to paint.   The OP shot himself in the foot when he mentioned Sunderland and how well Villa played against them and  conveniently forgot what a good performance we put up against them - and that was at Sunderland.  

Th bit that gets me is that he says "sometimes you have to look after yourself", surely in this business you have to look after yourself ALL the time!?

The only reason I''m looking at this game in trepidation is because when I went to see us play Villa in the cup, I had winter vomiting and had to clench through us being rolled over at Carrow Road 1-4. Albeit I don''t have winter vomiting this time, I''m not sure how much other factors have changed.

I''ve thought for a long time now that player, and to a certain extent, manager interviews are a bit pointless as it''s all just full of cliches and the usual nonsense to fill column inches in the newspapers.

You know what players (and managers) are going to say before the questions have even been asked. For that reason I take next to no notice of interviews with players most of the time.

The OP is right. Before Fulham away in 2005 the players told us they would give it all they had to survive. They didn''t. Time will tell whether Howson''s comments are just hot air or actually born out of a real determination to win and beat the drop.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]I''ve thought for a long time now that player, and to a certain extent, manager interviews are a bit pointless as it''s all just full of cliches and the usual nonsense to fill column inches in the newspapers. You know what players (and managers) are going to say before the questions have even been asked. For that reason I take next to no notice of interviews with players most of the time. The OP is right. Before Fulham away in 2005 the players told us they would give it all they had to survive. They didn''t. Time will tell whether Howson''s comments are just hot air or actually born out of a real determination to win and beat the drop.[/quote]

Yes RowDy!!!!!!! Those interviews are worthless and do not represent anything said in the dressingroom. All that happens is we take different things from them depending on how succesful the team is. If we are winning we find the positives and if losing we find the negatives.

[quote user="Stig"]The only reason I''m looking at this game in trepidation is because when I went to see us play Villa in the cup, I had winter vomiting and had to clench through us being rolled over at Carrow Road 1-4. Albeit I don''t have winter vomiting this time, I''m not sure how much other factors have changed.[/quote]Come on Stig get some reality into your brain.  If you were at that match you''ll know that we were unlucky to lose.  We had plenty of chances before they scored their second goal.  Morison had a goal incorrectly chalked off in my opinion, then Given pulled off a great save from Holt at point blank range.  We then chased the game, which we all know Lambert loves, and that is why we conceded 4, no other reason.  Add to that the fact we were playing a second string side.

The only thing worse than these player interviews (remember the Doc''s?) is the weekly attempt to get validation from some old player with a connection between both clubs.  Obviously, the player is not going to say we will lose so the headline is always positive though usually irrelevant.  Who cares what some ex player thinks?

Wait for Ron Saunders views this Friday.  At least Dion is an option and his opinions would have some authority but usually it''s just silly.

We lost 1-0 at Stoke when Lambert was manager here also...

Not sure if people have erased that from their memories or not...

I havent! Been to Stoke twice now.... not sure if I''ll go again..

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]We lost 1-0 at Stoke when Lambert was manager here also...

I havent! Been to Stoke twice now.... not sure if I''ll go again..[/quote]

Lambert out!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"]We lost 1-0 at Stoke when Lambert was manager here also...

I havent! Been to Stoke twice now.... not sure if I''ll go again..[/quote]

Lambert out![/quote]

Shink sew! He want to score TOO MANY goals and doesnt concentrate on defence enough....

It must be quite boring being a sports journalist for the local newspaper. Just reporting the usual stock phrases players and managers come out with week after week.

"Or you can wallow in self-pity and not see things as they really are,"

......or you can wallow in false perceptions and not see things as they really are.....