Sign in to follow this  
chicken

No luck, no decisions - not our season?

We''ve not been good enough for large parts of the season but it cannot be ignored the ridiculous decisions going against us.

These are from the top of my head...

Spurs away - Clear shirt pulling on Morison in the area, nothing given

Villa away - Clear penalty for E.Bennett, not given. Villa should have been down to 9 men as well.

Saints away - Lambert blatant handball before banging it in.

City home - Kompanys two footed lunge on Johnson, should have been a Red, not even a freekick, City go on to score.

QPR home - Zamora well inside the box as penalty was taken, therefore tapping in the rebound.

W Ham away - Ridiculously soft penalty against us. Nailed on penalty for us for a foul on Kane not given.

WBA away - Clear obstruction on Bunn for their equaliser, nothing given.

Sunderland away - Bunn sending off. Penalty given to Sunderland despite a player in a clear offside position chasing Bassong down. Rose handball inside area, freekick given.

Arsenal away - All 3 goals against us were contentious.

Stoke away - Clear penalty not given to Norwich again, Stoke should have been down to ten men

Villa home - Very good penalty shout in first ten minutes for hand ball in area. Villa should have been down to 10, possibly 9.

These are just from the top of my head, we have been pants at times this season but if half of these decisions were given correctly we would be comfortably in mid table

At the end of the day it all comes down to the fact we were done by a Lambert team. We spent 3 years playing like it and grabbing the winner in th 89th or 94th minute. If any team should know this might happen we should.

It was not poor decisions against us, we did not take the chances we had and we did have a few, although in the words of Frank Sinatra, they may be to few to mention.

I''m sure most sides could point out a list of poor/crucial decisions that have gone against them, but there is little doubt ours haven''t exactly evened themselves out over the last two seasons.

[quote user="ellis206"]We''ve not been good enough for large parts of the season but it cannot be ignored the ridiculous decisions going against us.

These are from the top of my head...

Spurs away - Clear shirt pulling on Morison in the area, nothing given

Villa away - Clear penalty for E.Bennett, not given. Villa should have been down to 9 men as well.

Saints away - Lambert blatant handball before banging it in.

City home - Kompanys two footed lunge on Johnson, should have been a Red, not even a freekick, City go on to score.

QPR home - Zamora well inside the box as penalty was taken, therefore tapping in the rebound.

W Ham away - Ridiculously soft penalty against us. Nailed on penalty for us for a foul on Kane not given.

WBA away - Clear obstruction on Bunn for their equaliser, nothing given.

Sunderland away - Bunn sending off. Penalty given to Sunderland despite a player in a clear offside position chasing Bassong down. Rose handball inside area, freekick given.

Arsenal away - All 3 goals against us were contentious.

Stoke away - Clear penalty not given to Norwich again, Stoke should have been down to ten men

Villa home - Very good penalty shout in first ten minutes for hand ball in area. Villa should have been down to 10, possibly 9.

These are just from the top of my head, we have been pants at times this season but if half of these decisions were given correctly we would be comfortably in mid table[/quote]Desperate and embarrasing.

How is it desperate? I''ve just alluded to the fact we''ve not been good enough for a lot of the seasons but you cannot deny we''ve had more decisions go against us than anybody else.

We''ve had two soft penaltys given against us for shirt pulling, please give me an example of another team who have been done for shirt pulling? You see it every match

[quote user="ellis206"]How is it desperate? I''ve just alluded to the fact we''ve not been good enough for a lot of the seasons but you cannot deny we''ve had more decisions go against us than anybody else.

We''ve had two soft penaltys given against us for shirt pulling, please give me an example of another team who have been done for shirt pulling? You see it every match[/quote]Is this fact? Can you prove it? P.s i''m sorry for sounding like nutty nigel? in my response.

Look at the luck Wigan had today, and compare it to our game. In our last few matches we''ve been at the end of some horrible decisions which has ultimately put us in a fight we would have been clear of.

But even our penalty was outside the area today. It''s not about decisions but tactics. We still have a chance of staying up but we need a change in tactics whatever league we''re in next season.

Ellis you are still trying desperately to defend the indefensible, we were in fact lucky to get the pen yesterday cos the foul was outside the box. If talk any fan of a lower table team he will come up with the same sort of list as you have, you would do better by looking at the football we have been playing to find the reason for our predicament. While you do that you might also like to apologise for all the arrogant abuse you so gleefully threw at those of of us pointing out the appalling management failure that is Chris Hughton.

Now get behind our team and help them over the line!

Not trying to defend the team at all, they haven''t been good enough for large parts of the season.

Just clearly pointing out we have had a lot of poor decisions go against us which if given correctly we wouldn''t be in a relegation battle.

Baker still had his arms wrapped round Snoddy as they tumbled, even most Villa fans agree that was a Pen. Should have been sent off though.

I remember when we got relegated to League 1. Everything went against us that season and in particular the last couple of months. In reality I figured then that when u don''t score goals and do the job yourself, you leave yourselves exposed to some decisions that could in fact go either way. If you are 2-0 up you don''t notice that dodgy decision, but when scores are level, an incident such as that is only highlighted.

In reality you do make your own luck. Unfortunately we haven''t really done that.

I think the luck hasn''t gone our way but the one bit of luck we got in the Southampton game where we were given a soft penalty we failed to take it.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]So the dire, defensive, negative football we''ve had served up all season is irrelevant, and it''s actually all down to the match officials having a vendetta against us...[/quote]It is an entirely fair point that one of the reasons we''ve had so few penalties is because of the lack of time we spend in opposition penalty areas.  You reap what you sow, and if you sit back to absorb pressure and lose because of a bad decision then you aren''t entirely blameless.

But even our penalty was outside the area today...."

Mr McT, I thought that too, but those nice chaps on the podcast have informed me that FIFA rules state that it doesn''t matter where the shirt pulling starts, if the foulee goes down in the penalty area, then a penalty it is.

As for all the other decisions against us, it strikes me that we have been given incorrect decisions that didn''t matter, whereas many incorrect decisions against us have been game-changers.

So do you think the appointed officials have had some sort of vendetta against us this season?

[quote user="swindoncanary"]referee, Kevin Friend certainly has, I mentioned it as soon as he was appointed for that match. [/quote]He wasn''t the worst, by far, that I have seen at CR this season.

Talking away games (and I''m JUST going on the ones I''ve been to) there have been a few where we''ve been screwed.

Stoke, Arsenal (still not over that [:@]), Spurs where we should have had least one penalty, Southampton (hand ball for their goal) have all been ruined by game changing decisions.

I put at least 25% of the blame for our  predicament at the referees this year.

[quote user="Vanwink"]So do you think the appointed officials have had some sort of vendetta against us this season?[/quote]

I have no idea but for that many game changing decisions to go against us something is going on.

Last season I only remember the odd decision going against us but we were playing lovely attacking football.

This season LOADS have gone against us and we are playing boring football. Maybe they want us out of the league? Wouldn''t be shocked to see WBA get a favourable decision against us

Lack of transfer dealings. Tactics. Playing for the draw in the ''winnable'' post-Christmas home games. Ans, simply, writing off any chance of winning away. These are the reasons.

That can''t be right Highland, there must be another reason!

Now this is a genuine question: do you think opposition teams, in individual games, have been as badly affected by incorrect, or highly marginal, decisions as us?

I know every supporter sees the wrongs suffered by his team while being conveniently, Arsenely, blind to his own team''s wrongdoings, but, apart from a couple of times Holt probably should have gone, I honestly can''t think of any.

We may have got the odd dodgy corner or throw-in, but nothing game-changing. The QUANTITIES of injustices may be even, but I can''t but think the QUALITY of same is incomparable.

If I started a list of those against us I would be here all night.

I don''t by any means think we''re the only ones who''ve suffered, but the awful decisions seem fairly random - although it would be interesting to hear other clubs'' fans opinions on this!

I don''t remember anything like this last year.

Obviously this is only one factor in our predicament. But I believe it is a factor. And the margins are exceeding fine this season...

To answer that you would have to have monitored every game played in the league this season. There may be web sites where these things are quantified with some sort of value factored in, but this is clutching at straws and a diversion from the real problems

Having a discussion about officiating performances isn''t clutching at straws, it is simply, a discussion.

Last season I remember being hard done by at Spurs away for a pull on Moro again and Stoke getting a penalty when the foul was clearly outside the box.

This year these decisions have cost us points which could see us relegated. Bolton were robbed last year as well and the ref sent them down that day

We have not had the rub of the green this season and have been the victims of some terrible decisions by some appalling refs and linesman which has definitely cost us points. The only refs I would trust to make fair and just decisions are Howard Webb and Mike Dean, if we get one of them on Sunday we can definitely still stay up. If we can beat Arsenal and Man U with the personnel we have now we can surely beat WBA who have nothing to play for. One last big effort all round required by everyone, all other comments can wait until the end of the season.

[quote user="Vanwink"]To answer that you would have to have monitored every game played in the league this season. There may be web sites where these things are quantified with some sort of value factored in, but this is clutching at straws and a diversion from the real problems[/quote]

The only person clutching at straws is you.

No where does anyone say the only reason for our predicament is the series of poor decisions from referees.

People are just highlighting that it has been a factor.

It''s also pretty undeniable at this time. Just one point more and we would be a lot safer, two and our breathing easier, three and we would be verging on a top half finish not even looking at relegation.

We may well have been poor this season but look at it comparatively, there are at least ten teams in this division, if not more, who have been just as poor. Two or three points ahead of us is not much.

[quote user="chicken"]People can moan and bleat all they like. Villa should have been down to at least 10 men.

Yet again, the refs bottle it.

Say what you like about performances of our players and our management and coaching team.

The fact is this is at least the fourth game that has been completely ''thrown'' by the refs.

Where would we be with ten more points? Just behind West Brom in 9th in all likelihood.

So think about that before you blame the players. Think about the fact that we have been given less penalties this season than most people in this country have children in a lifetime.

Think about how already being on a yellow J.Bennett can take down a player in the box, give away a penalty for denying a clear goalscoring shot and not get a second. How Benteke can grab a player by the throat and only see yellow. How Snodgrass in the first half has two players ahead of him and can still be offside.

Then cast your mind back to the other games of recent weeks so heavily influenced by the mistakes of the officials. Had we had won today we would have now been sitting on 41 points and in 11th place.

Premier League? Right now all I feel is that it is a disgrace.

I''m truly gutted and can''t help but feel, that like in games where you sure bet goalscorer misses a couple of sitters, this is one that might not end happily.

But my view is that this has nothing to do with Hughton and everything to do with the referees and the fact that we have got sod all from them this season, nil, nout, nadda.[/quote]

To be fair how many times should have Holt been sent off recently?

Jersey Canary:

"To be fair how many times should have Holt been sent off recently?"

At least twice.

But how many points would we have lost do you reckon? Bearing in mind his worst offences have been when he came on late in games we were already losing.

The wrong/questionable decisions have materially helped the opposition this season. It''s just plain unlucky (I hope ...).

Kei Kamara tripped over his own feet to win the free kick which Turner scored from at Arsenal. Snod has been ''buying'' free kicks all season.

None of this is ever remembered in the referee bashing. I agree we have had some hard luck in recent games. But over a 38 game season, we can''t go around blaming refs if we drop.