Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Adel Gafaiti - who he?

This came as a total surprise to me:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130423/norwich-fight-keep-starlet-196207?

''Starlet'' eh. Whatever next: nubile glamour pusses? Perky pre-teens? I just can''t be doing with this modern football terminology.

Anyway, amazing to know we have a player causing such a stir - anybody seen him play?

Haven''t seen him play but have heard he''s decent (heard that so many times though!).

Wasn''t David Stephens or someone meant to have huge potential when he went to Scotland (Rangers?), haven''t heard about him since, though if it was Rangers then Div 3 might be why!

Stephens is now at Barnet.  Given that Robert Eagle is at Lowestoft, he hasn''t done too badly.

There was a piece on Gafaiti in the Reading programme.  He has been causing a stir.   Came to us from Rangers if I remember correctly.  Algerian under 20.

Haha that list of clubs is abit of a Joke... its hardly going to be a fight if we do want to keep hold of him. More like we decide we dont want him then off he goes, I dont think Forrest or Cardiff have become a top 4 side over night!

First off this is talksport you are talking about. Hardly the most reliable of sources so I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Also ''fighting to keep hold of''.

How many of those teams are premier league? Reading, Nottingham Forrest? Rubbish you can rule them out for starters,

Cardiff - will they want to sign a relatively unknown and untested defender as a player who could start games for them in the Premier League? Doubt it.

Teams in Germany would appear the most likely option.

But if he is any good at what he does, the coaching team we have will be the best to be able to tell whether he is up to starting games at this level or not yet. Personally I think he''ll be loaned out.

Considering his age i would have thought he''d be appearing for our U18''s, or at least for the U18 games wherein i''m more familiar with the line-ups (i.e. FA Cup, or the few league games i read reports and watch highlights of) by now. I don''t profess to have any profuse knowledge of the players attatched to our club beyond the senior team, but i can''t recall his name being mentioned. Is it perhaps due to some technicality, or even injury, that i''m unaware of that he''s eluded my, and dare i say others, attention? One would have thought that, after years of average/below performers at academy level (perhaps with exception to this years group), the presence of a ''startlet'' at this level would have had more whispers uttering his name.From what i can gather, for a lad with such a reputation and admiring following he''s been surprisingly anonymous.

According to the programme on saturday he''s been in the U21''s and Reserves. Dont know why he''s not in the U18''s but maybe they feel he''s capable of being pushed at the higher level. Dont see it being to much of a battle to keep him if the clubs mentioned are the ones after him, but it is talksport so wont pay much attention to it anyway.

"Gafaiti’s thumping header from Josh Murphy’s teasing free kick capped a fine display from the Algerian centre-back."

“Adel has done very well,” said Marshall. “He had a little bit of disappointment because he thought he was going away with Algeria and playing in the junior African Nations but he is sticking around with us while it is on so to get a goal and a win I am delighted for him. He put his head on a few balls that came into box when he had to defend and he is improving all the time. He has a great personality and he wants to learn and get better. Playing with the likes of Leon and Steven has to help his confidence and I felt he wanted to lead as well and push the defence up and take control when it needed to be done. He has a confidence in what he is doing and a belief and understanding which is good to see.”

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/sport/norwich_city_under_21s_1_stoke_city_under_21s_0_1_1964891

As we signed him in the summer I assumed like fellow signings Durojaiye, Sheriff & McNeil he was too old for the U18s but he only turned 18 in September so that can''t be the case. He''s obviously a very good prospect as shown by his performances for the U21s so seems strange to not play him in the U18s if eligible.

Is there a ruling on players being on the books for so long before participating in the Youth Cup?

Quite hard keeping up with the development side(u21) now established. Seems more players will get an opportunity rather than being released at 17/18.

He''s too old, matter of months. I believe Gafaiti plays centre back for the U21s & Toffolo the centre back for the U18s at left back his natural position.

Due to the U21 side, most of this U18 side will be kept on & given a chance.

Yes I have see him play numerous times this season. He is just a few weeks too old to play for the U18s, therefore is a very young prospect in the U21s. His best game this season was against Stoke at home, when he outperformed two first team defenders playing in the match. He is a very talented young man, intelligent with a great attitude, who constantly works on improving his game. he is a genuine prospect and learning very quickly.  IMO we have a young man who offers a great deal, who should be nurtured, he learns quickly and if he continues to develop as he has this year I would expect to see him pushing for a first team place within a year.  He is an ever present in Scott Marshall''s U21 team and for those of you who want to see him play he will be in the U21 fixture at Colney next Monday v Newcastle and in the upcoming Norfolk Senior Cup Final at Carrow Rd.

"Do You Know The Way San Jose?"  Monsieur Adel Gafaiti does.  It''s by coach from Colney to Heathrow and then by plane via Los Angeles.

Congratulations to Adel (and Josh Murphy) on their selection for the Pre-Season Tour to the USA.  Good luck boys, remembering luck is where Opportunity and Preparedness meet.  You''ve been given the Opportunity, or more to the point worked hard for it, so how Prepared are you lads?

Show us all what you can do.

Colonel Saunders may have the answer to that question???

Seriously though, hope the boys stake a claim. 

I am assuming they will both make an appearance or two, will watch with interest.

Contrary to popular belief, I love to say I told you so.  Well done Adel first team football ahead of time, 19 years and 2 days. Don''t you just love it when a plan comes together??