Sign in to follow this  
Yellow since 1977

Enjoying the Prem.....honestly?

How do we all feel?

Lets remember is only our second season in the Prem and we are still in the driving seat, 6 points and we will be safe. We have the games and I am sure we have the determination to get over the line.

The perspective is that there are teams below us who have been in the Prem much longer than us and have spent considerably more than us and they are struggling.

We had an exceptional season last year and were fortunate there were three teams who were considerably poorer than everyone else, this season there are two poor teams and a number of teams who are having similar levels of form.

I am still enjoying the season even though the football can be quite negative sometimes, perhaps saturday would be a chance to try some different players and formation as we are not expected to win. Fox for Howson, Whittaker for Martin, Tettey for Bennet and have two up front.

The stakes are massive I know with the addtional Sky money next year it almost drives the way teams play to not loose at any cost even if the football is negative. That unfortunately is a symptom of the Prem.

Let''s keep positive and get behind the team as we did on Saturday its not all that bad!

my favourite part of being in with the big boys is having the likes of Bassong and RVW on our books. Makes it more fun for me on FIFA 13 when i play my mates!

Yellow since 1977, I think your post is a perfect illustration of 7rew''s post yesterday. It''s extremely tempting to think : sod it, we''ll probably lose anyway, so we might as well go down fighting. I''ve often thought this myself.

But, to be rational, you have to look at the context. We are within touching distance of safety. A point on Saturday would be immense.

Now if we go for it, Lambert style, the chances of there being a win for either team are higher - but obviously much better for Arsenal. If we keep it tight, then the chances of 0 - 0, 1 - 1, 1 -0 or 0 - 1 are more likely, clustered around 0 - 1 BUT the chances of a 0 - 0 or 1 - 1 are higher than 3 -3, 4 - 4 or whatever. The bell curve is shallower.

Now of course we could be hammered 8 - 0 even if we try to restrict them, but the PROBABILITY of getting point(s) is better if we do, & that''s the ONLY RATIONAL WAY to approach the game.

Now, if we were (RATIONALLY) in likely danger of relegation, then the Lambert way would be the logical way, because wins would be so much more valuable than draws. It''s the usual ''might as well get beat 10 - 0 as 1 - 0 '' cup game scenario.

In short, the only way we are going to get exciting games from Norwich this season is if we become (GENUINELY) in danger of relegation.

Of course this is all down to assessment of relegation probabilities. Some people here have assumed (wanted?) relegation from day one. A lot more are understandably nervous because (at the moment) the points gap is narrowing.

It''s rather like flying an aircraft low on fuel over trees perhaps? Try to ascend & you might run out of fuel, wobble too much & you''ll hit the trees. So hold your nerve, firm hand on your joystick (ooh-er), & concentrate on steering the old kite home!

OTBC!

Yes and no.Not enjoying it much at the moment football wise especially as we''re making such heavy weather of it. Much more fun in the lower divisions....especially as we were winning.Financially it''s a no brainer. Tens of millions in the Premier League or tuppence ha''penny in the wilderness.

I never really thought this season would be amazingly exciting for us once lambert left. although I''d fear how we would be right now if he had stayed.

I am very much so looking forward to next season in the prem, however.

On balance yes. As someone who goes to away games as well these are less inspiring than in previous seasons although incomparably better than those struggling seasons in the championship.

We''re expected to lose on Saturday - but then the last 3 trips to North London, we were expected to lose all of those games too and came back undefeated from all 3.

Arsenal are a strange team, on their day they can play devastating football, but equally they can throw away leads and lose against anyone even from what seems like a winning position.

If we open up and go for them, they''d love it and probably take us apart.  I''m sure Hughton will play his standard away strategy keeping it tight with one up front, but hopefully still pushing to keep some attacking threat like Sunderland, not just sitting back.

For team selection, I really hope Tettey is back in the starting line up.  Can''t wait for the trip down on Saturday.

Yes.

I love it. everything about it. the worldwide exposure is great, our transfer news is heralded as interesting, we get to see great players, and there is always a ''link'' to a game i cant get too.

but, in general its more expensive, tickets sell out faster, and tuesdays nights are boring.

I still think that our year in league one was my favorite season, if only because it was the year City became the team i also hoped they would be. A team that could be 1-0 down away from home with 10 men, and still win 2-1. A team who would never stop until the final whistle, and would often get the last minute goals we needed.

Sadly, playing in the top league is a lot more stressful and there are games when we all have to admit, (mostly in hindsight) that we havent stood a chance.

I''m glad we are in the prem, its where we all want to be and, if we stay up, im confident that next season will be more comfortable for us.

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]I never really thought this season would be amazingly exciting for us once lambert left. although I''d fear how we would be right now if he had stayed.

I am very much so looking forward to next season in the prem, however.[/quote]Yeah I think this sums up my feelings.Im hating this year tbh but in reality, I knew it would be a boring stay up at all costs kinda year and Hoots is boring me to sleep but he certainly has a goal hes trying to achive.

There is nothing not to like about The Premiership.Ask anyone in the 3 divisions below us where they would love to be.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]There is nothing not to like about The Premiership.Ask anyone in the 3 divisions below us where they would love to be.[/quote] THIS ^^^

There is plenty to dislike about the Premier League - ludicrous ticket prices, ridiculous kick off times, the complete inability to compete for the league title (lets not forger it wasn''t always like that). Not that fussed if we get relegated.

Nope, not one bit.

I hate the Premier League

I hate Premier League Prices

I hate getting stuffed by Man City and Liverpool

I hate going a goal down to any half decent team and knowing its game over

I hate not trying to win matches

I hate Mark Lawrenson predicting our scores

I hate been last on MOTD no matter how well or who we play.

I miss working mans prices

I miss trying to win games

I miss coming from behind

I miss ugly northern towns

I miss winning matches

I miss beating and coming above Leeds and Ipswich

I miss enjoying football

Realistically the most we can ever aim for is 10th, that seems well pretty much, well.......... pointless.

My ray of light is RWV and the hope that he can bring a revolution that can push us to the next level.

All the pros and cons are valid points. The premier league is not really about entertainment as such because the rewards have nothing to do with the amount of tickets sold. A theatre show lives and dies by it''s popularity. The premier league rewards are for staying there. Better to sell no tickets and stay there than sell out each week and be relegated. It''s football for tv not for supporters.

Anyway, it''s my experience that posters on here hanker for what we don''t have. Last season it was clean sheets. This season it''s not clean sheets.

As an exiled canary I enjoy the increased exposure we get, and the wins against Man Utd and Arsenal earlier this season will live long in the memory.

But I also agree with pretty much all of what CD Mullins has said; the Championship and even League One were far more competitive leagues, with less pretension. My favourite away game of the last five years was Huddersfield away: 1-0 at half-time, we kicked towards a stand packed with City supporters and absolutely battered them for 45 minutes and won 3-1. A world away from being patronised in the Stretford End.

Although some of the most dire, awful football I''ve ever seen us play was in the old Division One/Championship under messers Worthington, Grant and Roeder. I used to go to games and people would be chatting around me about Eastenders and what they did last night.The three years under Lambert were amazing and every season got better and better. I think people forget what it was like before. I''d rather Howson, Turner and Kamara any day than Robinson, Stefanovic and OJ Karoma

Unfair on Worthy, Hucks and Dion[:''(]

But at least we found out whether "anybody would be better than Worthy". [*-)]

And what about that waste of space Etuhu???

Yes!

This Lambert myth going about. Last year we had a honeymoon period in the top flight. Hit the right notes, the right time against the right teams. Lambert built his team over 3 seasons, not his final one. Hughton has been given grief for rebuilding his foundations due to Lambert walking off. Many fans forget that.
The Premier League is a tough & ruthless place to be in the first season managing, more so if fitting the glove of someone elses mold.

Would I rather be winning more games that losing/drawing? Yes. Would I prefer it in a lower league and bouncing around mid to lower top/top 6/top 3 for a season? No. We have been be a decent, holding our own team in the top flight with a team built around a manager. Not 90s but pre. It can be done on a budget with the right group but time.

Personally - I''d like a mixture of Lambert & Hughton thrown in together for a dynamic team. It aint'' going to happen, it''s football and pay for what you get. What do you do? Pay out loads for someone better than Lambert who want''s better players? Get Lambert back who has flaws (believe it or not - he can''t defend). Hughton has his flaws, anyone at the lower end of this league will all be similar!

So yes, I''m happy. We CAN beat teams but it''s about getting the team playing - and the fault is clearly in the middle of our park to hold/control/pass that flippin'' ball

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Unfair on Worthy, Hucks and Dion[:''(]

But at least we found out whether "anybody would be better than Worthy". [*-)]

And what about that waste of space Etuhu???

[/quote]He went to a World Cup. But is now slumming it in the Championship relegation zone...

Yes, ok as many have said this year we have been boring however as any supported of any team not in the PL and they would say this is where they want to be. Also I have supported NCFC most of my life and I one of only a handful of fans on Malta, and its good to see people knowing what team I mean when I say I support Norwich.

Also being in the PL gives us money and better players and next season will be even better if we stay up RVW and this can help us to be able to challange for either the FA or League cup as this is what I want the most, sod the PL everyone knows no other team apart from the top 7 are gonna ever win this and thats ok its the same in most countries (Spain - Barca-RM, Italy Juve-Inter-Milan, Holland Ajax-Psv etc...) all I want is to be able to support my team and have people know who they are and maybe be able to win a cup, and with better players that''s what we can do.

I fear that the furthest we can feasibly ever go without massive investment is becoming a Fulham type team, never too high and never too low. For me, that would be very boring. I would much rather be a yo-yo team than that, to be honest. That being said, I don''t want us to go down.Wycombe away, Huddersfield away, Brighton away at that shitty ground, Bristol Rovers away. Happy memories!

As a fan, I must admit my favorite season was our brief visit to division one. With the southern bias of the division that season, I was able to get to a lot more away games and when there I knew all fans were ''true'' fans.  Plus I saw my team win more often !

I love it all. The hype,the speculation,the publicity,the level1acadamy,lording it over the binners. Yes the football has not been the greatest and yes we will return to the Championship one day but we are building a solid foundation for the long term with a soon to be debt free club and attracting the kind of players we could only dream of.

Looking forward to going to the Emirates on Saturday. Win,lose or draw, rather be there than say Peterborough. Long may it continue.

Very happy to be in the premiership...it''s the elite division in this country and to have Norwich be part of it is great...of course the chances of winning the league or qualifying for Europe are slim and all that, but the exposure we get and the caliber of players we can attract is fantastic.

Whereas in League 1 and the championship we had many highs to enjoy, they''re fewer and further between in the Prem which is why we have to fully enjoy them when we can and ride out the rough times with the belief we will get another Swansea(a) type game, etc.

Peaks and troughs....

Didn''t seem that different last season so why are we that much poorer this year with a stronger squad.

It has been an awful year with very little enjoyment, if we stay up by some miracle will it be any different next season, I feel better to go down re-group and start enjoying our football again.

I have enjoyed some of the premiership but only some. A club of our stature unless very lucky with a sugar daddy or inspired manager will always struggle and by virtue of that lose the majority of our games. So if you do not like to see your team lose a lot the EPL will always be an aquired taste

I can see the arguments for life down below in the Championship. It is more competitive, it is more unpredictable, there are more games and it is a slightly less "sanitised" (if that is the right word?) way of watching football.

But, at the end of the day it is not the actual league you in which directly dictates how much you enjoy the football. It is the style of football that your team is trying to deliver which does that. I absolutely loved every minute of our first season back in the Premiership and by contrast there have been Championship seasons which have been turgid and unwatchable. There is absolutely no guarantee of winning games and producing good football next year if we are relegated (just ask Wolves).

Everyone''s idea of what it means to be a fan is different. Personally, as a Norwich supporter I want the best possible for my club and I want people to aspire to make it the best it can be. For me that equates to playing at the highest level possible and everything that goes with it.