Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Anyone else still firmly behind Hughton?

I feel like I''m the only one on this site who doesn''t want him sacked. Yes his approach is negative and it causes boring football to watch but we have a squad with a lot of championship players. I''d go as far to say that our best players barring Wes and Ruddy, are all Hughton signings. Lambert always got players to overperform, an admirable attribute but most managers can''t do that, including Hughton. Instead he has recognised our squad isn''t good enough and attempted to add quality to it, which he did. It''s certainly no coincidence that he spent most of our budget on defence and it is now our best position. We are far from the finished article and until we are we will have to get on with the boring football with the aim of surviving. Just get behind the team, they (or Hughton) haves nagged to get impressive results before.

Don''t worry,you''re not alone:-) A few of us can see the bigger picture. Just hope a bit of patience will come off.

1000000% As i said on my thread a few minutes ago....its about the bigger picture. Our aim is just survival for this and perhaps the next 2 seasons untill we build a squad of higher quality players. He is going to acheive this aim, he has kept us up and in my book, for now, thats all im fussed about.

100% You can''t make a silk purse out of a sow''s ear...he needs time to complete his own squad and integrate his true footballing philosophy. Any judgement should wait until xmas next season.

I''m behind him.

I recognise that building a successful side within five minutes is a rarity. PL managed it with us and got such a head of steam up that we carved our way up the pyramid but it doesn''t happen overnight in nine out of ten cases.

Lots of good foundations have been laid this season, of course its not perfect but recruitment and departures in the summer will improve things, of that I''m sure.

Anyone who can''t see that we are currently a work in progress rather than CH''s finished article is quite frankly daft. Or in denial.

I''m prepared to give him the benefit of a whole summer of preparation for himself, notone whee he''s parachuted in to pick up the pieces after a previous manager has just left. That of course includes him using what will apparantly be a substantial transfer budget with the Premiership money coming our way?

Only then will we really get to see what style of play and type of players he really wants to play?

Yes Wiz. It''s working out well for them now isn''t it? It also proves that for all his money,Ashley has your impatient lack of footballing intelligence.

[quote user="Wiz"]Its pretty obvious now just why Newcastle sacked him.[/quote] WHY ??Cause he got them promoted and comfy in 12th place in the premier league !!!

[quote user="Wiz"]Its pretty obvious now just why Newcastle sacked him.[/quote]Before the match you stated that we must not lose, we didn''t lose yet despite Hughton giving you the result you wanted you still moan.

Bearing in mind we didn''t really spend in January I would expect another 5 or 6 quality players coming in during the close season. And to answer the general point, yes I back Hughton.

I certainly don''t want him sacked.I want him to bring in four or five players in the summer and finish building "his" team.  What he has done with the defence, and with bringing in Tettey, is very encouraging. Now he needs to do the same with the midfield and strike force, and that''s going to cost money and take time.If we are still seeing poor quality games of the likes of 0-0 v Fulham, 0-0 v Newcastle, 0-0 v Southampton at home NEXT season then I will be very concerned.  But this team is a work in progress and the job is barely half complete.Having sat (and left early!) through the Grant/Roeder/Gunn era I understand why people are fed up and if you are paying a fair amount of money and don''t feel you are being entertained then you have the right to stop paying and do something else with your Saturday.  But I think in terms of style, what we are seeing is pragmatism based on what he has to play with rather than the desired end product which we won''t see until next year.We don''t have a good enough central midfielder to play 4-4-2 and we don''t have a good enough striker to play 4-5-1.    We''ll solve this in the summer, I am certain of it.

Totally behind him. With limited resources he has performed a miracle. Newcastle fans adored him and gave him a huge ovation when he went there earlier in the season. It was their owner who sacked him. Its just a small minority who are making a lot of noise and rest assured the silent majority are with him and the team 100%.

So far he''s achieving the objective the club set out for him, i dont like the way we''re going about doing it but were doing it none the less. If we stay up he has to have the summer and the early part of next season but i dont for one second believe that the players we have attacking wise are as poor as they are currently showing and that is down to the manager''s motivational skills and finding the right balance between defence and attack, his lack of ability to do this so far worries me. Next season i personally hope to see a more balanced approach to our attempts to win matches and get over this inferiority complex he seems to portray.

Hughton is an honest and hard-working individual with plenty of passion. He is a good man on a big learning curve in the art of being a manager; he is inconsistent which shows in the bewildering array of results we have this season and that strikes me as inexperience.

We have let in a huge number of goals but also kept an impressive number of clean sheets. We have had some hidings and yet beaten the best. We play well at home against sides that come at us but don''t match that away.

We had a Europe wide 2nd best 10 game run but have won only one game outside that, apparently.

If Hughton keeps us up it will be job done and everyone will look forwards.

He has made some good signings and the players seem to put in the effort for him.

Chops makes a good summary.

It is too late to change things, we need to go with what we have and hope to get another win and some draws. The penalty yesterday was a seminal moment; it wasn''t a pen, we didn''t deserve to win and the extra two points would have felt like six in effect. It was exactly the grind out result we still need.

There is no option but to back Hughton - but that doesn''t mean we cannot complain. If he keeps us up he will get the chance here to build his own squad further in the summer, if he fails to do that and things carry on like this next season he''ll find himself under real pressure 10 - 12 games in.

Yes I''m behind him.  Even those who say they aren''t need to hold off for now - realistically sacking a manager once the January transfer window''s shut is pretty pointless unless you are virtually guarranteed relegation and looking to the next season.  In fact yesterday proved it - I reckon with Adkins still in charge Saints would have been out of sight long before Holt missed a penalty.  CH will be in charge for the rest of the season whatever happens so however dull the football is we have to grin and bear it for now. 

I have some concerns because I think it''s going to be hard to improve the squad without blowing the wage structure wide open - and that''s an issue for the Board as much as CH.  We have a midfield that''s too easily bossed about, so if you want full backs to attack it becomes quite a risk.  We have little flair, and have never found a replacement for Hucks, someone who can carry the ball at speed and give opposition defences a tough time, and relieve the pressure on your own midfield and defence.  Perhaps one of the Murphy twins will provide that threat next season.

I understand Hughton''s approach at the moment but just hope that next year he can bring a couple of players in to midfield who can give us a better chance of controlling a game.  Do that and then it will be possible to be more open in the way we play.

I''m firmly believe in Hughton. We''re level on points with 10th.. after 29 games.

I still believe we have one of the worst squads in the premiership, even though the starting 11 is ''decent''. I look at the names, and wonder is there one player that the top half clubs would be looking at (Ruddy/Bassong ?) .

If/when Hughton can sign some creative talent we have a really good chance to establish ourselves on a par with Fulham/Stoke or slightly better.

Also would help, if someone told Snoddy, that he doesn''t have to wait to dribble past someone before crossing/shooting.

Its clear its definitely a work in progress so I dont see the need to change the manager

I will be looking for improvements in the summer, particularly a striker and a couple of midfielders. By then he will have had 3 transfer windows and the core of his improvements have to have been made and become effective.

So for me the key time for me is Oct/Nov. If we are still struggling to create and score, looking second best in most games and unable to pass then I willstart to get nervous.

Its all about the close season. The games between now and may will pass and I would love to be entertained but we will do enough to look to invest. and that is the key

Will be until the end of the season. We have a better chance of staying up getting behind Chris and the team - whoever is picked and whatever the formation. Looking forward to Sunderland and Wigan where We are capable of picking up points.

Of course.

I''m increasingly bored with the quality of the discussion on this board though. I only read it out of habit now. It seems to largely consist of unrealistic dreamers and trolls against sensible posters like most of this thread who might as well save their (virtual) breath. For quality of debate, I much preferred the Grant/Roeder era on here, at least that was entertaining. [:(]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Of course.

I''m increasingly bored with the quality of the discussion on this board though. I only read it out of habit now. It seems to largely consist of unrealistic dreamers and trolls against sensible posters like most of this thread who might as well save their (virtual) breath. For quality of debate, I much preferred the Grant/Roeder era on here, at least that was entertaining. [:(][/quote]

Maybe we''re all a bit jaded after the last four seasons success, culminating in the ten match unbeaten run, which was great, but the aftermath and the grinding out of points now is making us all a little fretful, I think.    Most of us just want to see the season through now and  see how we regroup for next season, but we mustn''t forget, we''re not there yet.

"I am 100 % things will look a lot better after he has spent his budget next summer. add a few goals to the tighter defence and we will kick on "

Exactly. He''s just making the team his. Progress doesn''t always come fast.

I dont want him sacked but i am far from impressed by what he has achieved so far. If we stay up and he brings new players in but the football doesnt change next season then i will want him gone, but i hope he doesnturn it around.

Excellent points Chops. Hoots has to be given time & money to mould his own team. Go back to the start of the season we were favourites to go down. Now we are stuttering a bit, but not in any real immediate danger. Talk to other clubs around us, they would take Hoots straight away if offered, West Brom wanted him, but didn''t want to pay the compensation to Brum. If we want to be in this league, Hoots is the man to take us to the next level, with the right backing from the Board.

Anyone with any sense will be behind Hughton!

Yes we are negative and in most games the entertainment levels have been not great at best but staying up is much much more important than exciting football!

Its likely had the last manager stayed we''d now be in worse position playing Blackpool style football of a few years ago and we all know where that ended!

It was almost impossible that the last 3 seasons of upwardly mobile forward momentum would keep on going this season cause if it had we''d now be in the top 6!

At this moment in time we''re 9 points of the bottom 3 with 3rd from bottom Wigans game in hand Man City!