Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

Is it time for conventional wingers?

I can understand the logic of playing Snodgrass on the right and Pilks on the left, but why do we never swap things around?  Pilkington has a decent left foot, but Snodgrass is so left footed he will never take his man on down the wing on the outside.  Ideally I''d like to see the wingers swapping sides, give the opposition something else to worry about, but with Pilks now out and Wes not a natural wide player, I''d look at playing Snodgrass on the left and Bennett on the right wing for a few games.  With any of Holt/Kamara/Becchio up top a good old fashioned whipped cross into the box is what we need.

I don''t think whipped crosses into the box are the answer - if Norwich are only playing one striker, Wes behind with Bennett and Snodgrass on the wings there really isn''t enough threat in the air to make the crosses worth it.

Playing 4-2-3-1, I think wingers that cut inside are a better option - Garrido and Martin/Whittaker allow for overlapping and crossing from the byline (if desired). If Norwich can get more players into the box then a byline cross is a good idea, but unfortunately Johnson/Howson/Tettey haven''t be able to get forward enough to create more space for Holt.

One of our problems is our lack of pace. We take so long to get to the other by-line, that defenders are back in numbers and the penalty area crowded. Perhaps Kei can win his way, but the rest struggle.  Snoddy is excellent with his trickery, but arrives relatively slowly. Pilks is capable, but he needs a good supply. Bennett has the pace, but because he is in and out and mostly out, he lacks confidence to take on the fullback. I think that there is generally a lack of confidence.

For Sunderland              BecchioWes      Bennett        Snodgrass          Johnson HowsonGarrido Bassong Turner Whittaker