Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

This 'war of attrition' approach

This war of attrition approach well may be tolerated by most for this season - and understood up to a point - because of our particular circumstances. But I think that Chis Hughton needs to understand that Norwich City Football Club has - ever since my first acqaintance at the exposed River End in 1958-59 - generally been associated with playing ''good football''. 

Today was grim. Today was dismal. Today was about as far from the Norwich City way as it is possible to get. Ugh!

Next season I will be very surprised if this same attritional approach by Chris Hughton and his staff will be accepted by most........and if we struggle in the same rather ugly manner the fund of goodwill established in recent years under the leadership of Bowkett and McNally will evaporate quickly and things could start to get somewhat unpleasant. People are starting to look, for example, at how Swansea have kicked on and say ''why not us''. Indeed why not?

Of course, I may be worrying unnecessarily, but I don''t think so. Chris, you need to inject some style and pace (and goals) next season otherwise things will very likely get awkward for you. Take my advice.

One love.

OTBC

Tbh Bly, I think that people have recognised this, and would take a similar view. Hughton has had to work on certain aspects of City''s game (defence first) , and has not had the time/money to transform all aspects of last season''s efforts. We are certain that the forward line will be improved, and tweeking other parts of the team this summer.

A lot of us can see where you are coming from Bly. It''s not easy sticking up for Hughton at the moment. The football is poor and I do understand a lot of fans frustrations. But the ''work in progress'' long term outlook is keeping me going.

Only 9 more games and then a good summer rebuilding, then maybe evaluate where Hughton is after a handful of games next season. Here''s hoping anyway.

It was painfully obvious from the outset that Hughton was going to have a very tough season.   Coming in at the end of a season where he did not have a great knowledge of the players, hadn''t seen much of us playing.    He had to get a successful approach going and also address the defensive frailty. He brought in some good defenders and a goalkeeper and made us harder to beat.   For a while it has worked as shown during the unbeaten run. It is still working up to a point,  but the midfield is missing the pace of Tettey, Johnson is not a great passer and if Pilkington and Snodgrass don''t perform there is no creativity.  Howson is struggling as he is often isolated when on the ball.   Wes is constantly caught in possession now because the opposition know he can only turn one way and crowd him out.    In short the midfield we have at the moment isn''t up to the task.  With Tettey in at least there is a bit more pace in there.   We thought at the beginning of the season that we had an abundance of quality midfielders.  Maybe we were over optimistic about that.  Hughton clerarly thought Surman was one of the best midfielders at the beginning of the season, but he struggled to make an impression.  So if the others were considered less able than Surman, what does that say about the rest?    A tough season, but as we keep saying, its a work in progress.   This was always going to be a tough season.  But we are, like it or not, on track.

What do you mean by things getting somewhat unpleasant Bly? It''s an interesting remark, if next season turns out to be the same as this, similar style of football and similar position in the table are you expecting protests and an angry mob, cos I''m not. What may happen is that people will not renew their season tickets but it would seem at the moment as if there would be plenty queuing up to take their place. We are going to be a mid table Prem team at best for quite a few years yet, if Hughton sustains that with our existing style of football there won''t be many changes.

Agree its difficult to support atm as well. But for what its worth, I personally think its a much stronger league this year as proved by recent relegation teams and where they sit in the Championship. I believe this style/team has kept us up where last year''s team may have failed this year.

As posted above, I believe once Hughton has had one more window to complete our transformation, then that will be the time to judge, he rightly revolutionised our defence first, as is proved with so many clean sheets and I think he can revolutionise our attack too with one more window. I think he tried in January but the prices were just too high.

Absolutely, we are very much a work in progress.

Last season''s seat-of-our-pants approach would have failed this term IMO and while what we are watching ain''t pretty its almost certainly been necessary in the short term.

Expect something quite different next season.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

This war of attrition approach well may be tolerated by most for this season - and understood up to a point - because of our particular circumstances. But I think that Chis Hughton needs to understand that Norwich City Football Club has - ever since my first acqaintance at the exposed River End in 1958-59 - generally been associated with playing ''good football''. 

Today was grim. Today was dismal. Today was about as far from the Norwich City way as it is possible to get. Ugh!

Next season I will be very surprised if this same attritional approach by Chris Hughton and his staff will be accepted by most........and if we struggle in the same rather ugly manner the fund of goodwill established in recent years under the leadership of Bowkett and McNally will evaporate quickly and things could start to get somewhat unpleasant. People are starting to look, for example, at how Swansea have kicked on and say ''why not us''. Indeed why not?

Of course, I may be worrying unnecessarily, but I don''t think so. Chris, you need to inject some style and pace (and goals) next season otherwise things will very likely get awkward for you. Take my advice.

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Can''t disagree with any of that Bly

CH is suceeding with his master plan to transform us into the new Stoke with our turgid mind-numbing hoofball. Why don''t we go the whole hog and bring in Pulis to finish the job?

And Chris, try and recover as much as possible of our scarce money that Lambert wasted on the dreadfully over-hyped Johnny Howson and Ryan Bennett before it gets too late.

You can surely make better use of it.

OTBC

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]I agree with you, for the most part.  I wouldn''t make the Swansea comparison but that aside, you make good points.I believe the summer will see wholesale changes across midfield and attack, and we will see a marked change in approach next season.Hughton deserves credit for his improvement of the defence.  He has shown he can spot a good player and persuade them in.  I believe that, given time and funds, he will do the same for the midfield, and then the strike force.

One of my good friends is a Stoke City season ticket holder. For as long as I''ve known him he''s berated Tony Pulis (barring a gap in 2005/06 he''s been there since 2002) for the style of football they''ve played. They''ve been promoted to the premier league and become an established tea, got to their first ever FA cup final and played in the europa league. Despite all of that success he (and a not insignificant section of the stoke faithful) have continually berated the manager and his tactics.

How has Tony Pulis survived this supporter backlash?

simple, he''s been successful enough to satisfy the board.

Chris Hughton is currently successful enough to satisfy the board and as long as we are not in danger of relegation he will continue to be so.

[quote user="spudgfsh"]One of my good friends is a Stoke City season ticket holder. For as long as I''ve known him he''s berated Tony Pulis (barring a gap in 2005/06 he''s been there since 2002) for the style of football they''ve played. They''ve been promoted to the premier league and become an established tea, got to their first ever FA cup final and played in the europa league. Despite all of that success he (and a not insignificant section of the stoke faithful) have continually berated the manager and his tactics. How has Tony Pulis survived this supporter backlash? simple, he''s been successful enough to satisfy the board. Chris Hughton is currently successful enough to satisfy the board and as long as we are not in danger of relegation he will continue to be so.[/quote]

Evidently you don''t think too much of our board.

OTBC

I have a realistic opinion of our board. They will be satisfied in the short to medium term to be a premier league club as it will allow the long term building of the youth system, ground and squad.

our season so far has shown that they are happy with this and I can''t see it changing any time soon especially if the manager throws in a cup run or two

[quote user="spudgfsh"]I have a realistic opinion of our board. They will be satisfied in the short to medium term to be a premier league club as it will allow the long term building of the youth system, ground and squad. our season so far has shown that they are happy with this and I can''t see it changing any time soon especially if the manager throws in a cup run or two[/quote]

You mean they''d be happy with Stoke-style football and tactics rather than the Swansea approach?

But will McNally be satisfied that that is the best way??

OTBC

[quote user="spudgfsh"]we''ll see come the signings that are made during the summer.[/quote]

Now on that I can agree with you! [:)]

OTBC

[quote user="spudgfsh"]I have a realistic opinion of our board. They will be satisfied in the short to medium term to be a premier league club as it will allow the long term building of the youth system, ground and squad. our season so far has shown that they are happy with this and I can''t see it changing any time soon especially if the manager throws in a cup run or two[/quote]

You mean they''d be happy with Stoke-style football and tactics rather than the Swansea approach?

But will McNally be satisfied that that is the best way??

OTBC

[/quote]

Why wouldn''t McNally be happy, he is running a business and if we stay in the Prem that will be considered success, for the short term at least.

CG

It''s hard to imagine a driven and successful man like McNally being satisfied with marking time.

To keep him the board will have to give him more challenging goals and objectives.

If and when our place in the Prem next year becomes certain, I reckon that the first order of business for the board should be a SWOT exercise followed immediately by the development of a new 5/7 year plan.

OTBC

To keep him the board will have to give him more challenging goals and objectives.

[/quote]

McNally is a board member.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

McNally is a board member.

[/quote]

Yes, and the board employs him as the Chief Executive with a job desciption and pay plan.

OTBC

CG

It''s hard to imagine a driven and successful man like McNally being satisfied with marking time.

If and when our place in the Prem next year becomes certain, I reckon that the first order of business for the board should be a SWOT exercise followed immediately by the development of a new 5/7 year plan.

OTBC

[/quote]

Bly

We are still well ahead of our existing 5 year or 7 year plan,whatever it was, so a period of consolidation will be part of the process. McNally will be bothered about the style of football unless it is such as to impinge on the business success of the club, that''s not likely to happen if we stay on the Prem.

Our style may be defensive right now, but to compare to Stoke is laughable! Stoke and full of 6ft plus players, adopt a physical approach all over the pitch and get the ball long and quickly.

That''s not us, though I do agree we are dull to watch right now, for sure.

What we are doing is having a solid base that is tough to break down. It may not be pretty because I feel we simply do not have the quality to do so. We need to stay in the league this season and have to accept it for now.

Come the summer, and hopefully another Prem season round the corner, we need to address the main issues in our squad. Remember that this is still not Hughtons squad. We owe him a full summer to get "his" squad more or less finalised.

If we are in the same position next season with regards to a dull style, then that is most certainly the time to ask questions.

On the plus side, we have already drawn 12 games in the league this season. Turn just 4 of them into wins and we will be more than comfortable in the top half.

How do we do that? Well more pace and power upfront, more options in centre midfield and left wing (also with pace) in my eyes. Basically, we need much increased quality offensive options.

We DO have the basis of a good solid squad and I do not feel we are a million miles away from being half decent, given the improvements in the areas I''ve suggested.

In order to have the chance of improving these areas in the summer however, we do need to stick together for the remainder of this season.

[quote user="canarygirl"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

CG

OTBC

[/quote] Bly We are still well ahead of our existing 5 year or 7 year plan,whatever it was, so a period of consolidation will be part of the process. McNally will not be bothered about the style of football unless it is such as to impinge on the business success of the club, that''s not likely to happen if we stay on the Prem.[/quote]

But CG, a period of consolidation surely means marking time - and I just don''t think that marking time is up McNally''s street quite frankly.

We need to give him a more ambitious challenge otherwise he''ll be off sharpish, I fear. Particularly if we mark time with rather dismal, stagnant - and dare I say boring, football whilst the crowd get increasingly restless.

In the scheme of things, David McNally is of considerably more importance to us than Chris Hughton.

OTBC

OTBC

I don''t think consolidation means marking time, it means , in playing terms, building a squad that is good enough to keep us in the Prem, to finish comfortably mid table with the strength in depth to move to the next stage, which is presumably European football. For that we are going to need a squad packed with quality that enables you to fight two campaigns. We are obviously miles from there at the moment but I think that''s a pretty big challenge, don''t you?

Well BlyBly cast your mind back to the 1978-1979 season in the First Division with John Bond in the managers position. As a club we''d only been in the top tier a handful of years had already been relegated then re-promoted so were relative minnows in amongst the big fish.That year we dug deep in a war of attrition, we didn''t win many seven to be precise but we didn''t lose that many either. We finished the season comfortably safe from the relegation spots on 37 points coming from 7 wins at 2 points each and 23 draws at a point each.Let''s just rewind a minute did I say 23 draws???? Yes I''m sure you''ll remember the year we just didn''t seem to do anything other than draw but do you know what history shows us?That the 78-79 year was possibly the year that consolidated our status as a top flight club for the next decade and a half through the most succesful period in our history. Had we gone back down that year we''d have been a yoyo club at best, we just didn''t have the resources to compete with the big clubs so survival as now was the primary target for the year.  It wasn''t pretty and truth be told much of it wasn''t very entertaining but we came out of it strong enough to survive and bounce straight back when we did next go down. I dread to think what would have been said by Wiz and his acolytes had this message board existed back then but the undeniable fact is that by not losing games we survived in the old first division and established ourselves as a top flight club.We do have the benefit of hindsight with which to measure John Bond, statistically he was our "most negative" manager ever during the 78/79 season with those 23 draws, the long game proved him to be one of our most successful managers ever and a manager who passed a top flight legacy on to his successors.We were away a long time, Lamberts season was a tilt at glory nothing ventured but Hughtons time would appear to mirror the period beginning in August 1978 where relegation would likely have condemned us to flipflopping every few years at best, I like the way history is repeating itself it''s what we needed not a quick year or two then back down the Championship but to dig in and battle for the right to once again be regarded as a genuine top flight club.

[quote user="Zak Burger"]Well BlyBly cast your mind back to the 1978-1979 season in the First Division with John Bond in the managers position. As a club we''d only been in the top tier a handful of years had already been relegated then re-promoted so were relative minnows in amongst the big fish.That year we dug deep in a war of attrition, we didn''t win many seven to be precise but we didn''t lose that many either. We finished the season comfortably safe from the relegation spots on 37 points coming from 7 wins at 2 points each and 23 draws at a point each.Let''s just rewind a minute did I say 23 draws???? Yes I''m sure you''ll remember the year we just didn''t seem to do anything other than draw but do you know what history shows us?That the 78-79 year was possibly the year that consolidated our status as a top flight club for the next decade and a half through the most succesful period in our history. Had we gone back down that year we''d have been a yoyo club at best, we just didn''t have the resources to compete with the big clubs so survival as now was the primary target for the year.  It wasn''t pretty and truth be told much of it wasn''t very entertaining but we came out of it strong enough to survive and bounce straight back when we did next go down. I dread to think what would have been said by Wiz and his acolytes had this message board existed back then but the undeniable fact is that by not losing games we survived in the old first division and established ourselves as a top flight club.We do have the benefit of hindsight with which to measure John Bond, statistically he was our "most negative" manager ever during the 78/79 season with those 23 draws, the long game proved him to be one of our most successful managers ever and a manager who passed a top flight legacy on to his successors.We were away a long time, Lamberts season was a tilt at glory nothing ventured but Hughtons time would appear to mirror the period beginning in August 1978 where relegation would likely have condemned us to flipflopping every few years at best, I like the way history is repeating itself it''s what we needed not a quick year or two then back down the Championship but to dig in and battle for the right to once again be regarded as a genuine top flight club.[/quote]

Top post! [Y]