Sign in to follow this  

Very rarely do I listen to the annoying up his own @rse pratt but on canary call yesterday he totally bashed a bloke for calling up and saying holt needs his family near him as if not his head won''t be fully focused which I agree with. Butler turned on him saying it was irrelevant. When questioned if he had kids he refused to answer - obviously he hasn''t. If you do have kids such as I do it most be awful not seeing them day after day and I can understand how hard it must be.

It showed how stupid Rob Butler is if he thinks it''s irrelevant to Holts focus and drive.

Rant over - bring back Neil ;-)

It is irrelevant.

Didn''t effect him whilst we were in league 1 did it? So why are people bringing it up now????

[quote user="he likes paella "]Very rarely do I listen to the annoying up his own @rse pratt but on canary call yesterday he totally bashed a bloke for calling up and saying holt needs his family near him as if not his head won''t be fully focused which I agree with. Butler turned on him saying it was irrelevant. When questioned if he had kids he refused to answer - obviously he hasn''t. If you do have kids such as I do it most be awful not seeing them day after day and I can understand how hard it must be. It showed how stupid Rob Butler is if he thinks it''s irrelevant to Holts focus and drive. Rant over - bring back Neil ;-)[/quote]

Everyone is different though surely?......just because the bloke that called in said that it would affect him ,doesnt mean it would for others?.

Holt''s motivation I assume is that he is playing for a Premiership club earning a Premiership wage (which he wouldnt nessessarily be able to do at too many other clubs?), in order to secure the long term stability of his family.....a couple of years out of his life doing that would seem worth it?

I never usually like to pull the "miliary card" but presumably soldiers that go away on tours of duty away from their families at months at a time do so for the same reasons?.  If we want to bring it back to sport, international cricketers I guess can go a couple of months away from their families on a test match tour on the other side of the world.

Holt is a professional footballer. They have to get used to not always living with their families nearby, one of the downsides but don''t forget they are only a luxury train ride or connecting flight away from getting home. Holt is not on his own here, there have been countless examples of this over the years. Funny how only these stories surface when things aren''t flowing on the pitch! Really no point in coming up with pointless excuses.

In all fairness the caller was being a bit of a dick. Asking ''are you a family man Rob'' and bringing up his own personal circumstances to try and make a point. Having said that I don''t like Butler and thought his insistence that ''we only discuss on field matters on Canary Call'' showed up his own lack of knowledge quite badly.

I''m often tempted to phone Canary Call just to share with the other listeners how inane the Pink Un message board can be and how many apparently IQ challenged posters use it ..... but then I would sound like so many posters who come on here on a Monday to slate Rob Butler, Paul McVeigh and claim some sort of superior intelligence over the people who phone Canary Call. Granted that some CC callers make some pretty stupid points but I''m a Norfolk exile and I enjoy listening to most of the calls in the same way that I enjoy reading many of the threads on here.

[quote user="BOGBRUSH"]I''m often tempted to phone Canary Call just to share with the other listeners how inane the Pink Un message board can be and how many apparently IQ challenged posters use it ..... but then I would sound like so many posters who come on here on a Monday to slate Rob Butler, Paul McVeigh and claim some sort of superior intelligence over the people who phone Canary Call. Granted that some CC callers make some pretty stupid points but I''m a Norfolk exile and I enjoy listening to most of the calls in the same way that I enjoy reading many of the threads on here.[/quote] Evening Rob

I think the topic of Holts family being in Carlisle is a legitimate point of discusion. I accept totally that he must put his family first and they are clearly more happy and settled in carlisle. My wife comes from carlisle and for over 30 years we have regularly travelled between Norwich and there visiting relatives. I can tell you even in good weather the journey is a real pain and is virtually a 600 mile round trip. If he is doing this once a week  which you would expect if he wants to see his wife and kids then this will be very draining indeed and must eat into the time available to maintain his fitness levels, particularly now that he is 32 and has a tendency to put on the pounds. He has lost a yard of pace since last year and put on a bit of bulk. Why is this who knows possibly just age, but the long round trips will not help. He has been one of the best players for us that i can remember in the last 20 years but everything has to come to an end. He got his better contract in the summer which has secured his immediate financial stability.He will probably realise that at his age and with a more disappoiting return this season that if we survive he will probably become more of a bit player next season. I suspect he is already and wisely making plans for the future which are all about being based in  Cumbria. we may get another season out of him then it woul not surprise me at all if he finishes his career playing for his beloved carlisle in league 1 or 2.

Family life is family life and should remain private.    Holt is undoubtedly a family man and I think its a bit risky to start going down the route of blaming his family circumstances for whatever he might or might not be doing on the pitch.   People seem to think they can write Holt off in everything that he does and the family moving card is just another stick to beat him with.    I think Butler was right to stop the discussion on family circumstances, which is just gossip. 

People seem to want to knock Holt, even though for a lot of us he is still the man that gives everything for the cause.  Just get behind our captain and recognise him for what he does on the pitch.    He might have an off day on the pitch occasionally, but so do all players from time to time.  When Holt has a bad match or makes a mistake, there is a section of our fans who immediately write him off  and  start the "overweight" "doesn''t try hard enough" stuff.    Its embarrassing and you don''t have a clue.

Holt always gives it 100% there is no doubt about that and in fairness to him playing the lone striker has done him no favours either both in terms of the hard work he often puts in with little to show for it and the pitiful few number of chances that come his way. Everyseason he has played for us he seems to have found it hard to pick up his fitness levels after pre season and shed the pounds. he has done this with games and hard work. Noone with any sense would criticise him for putting his family first in particular where they are happy to be located. The reverse has happened here with so many players and managers who have chosen to settle here even though they have gone on to other clubs only to return after retirement. the Cumbria decision does inevitably cause a problem with the hours that are needed to get there and back, if it was Manchester for example it would not be a problem as there are regular flights. I do however think it may be the beginning of the end of him here

I think that its pretty obvious to anyone that with Holty moving his family back up north (clearly with an eye to life after Norwich) and with his less impressive goalscoring return this year and our very high profile pursuit of strikers in January that the Norwich City/Holt era is quite probably drawing towards a conclusion, if not this summer then in the not too distant future. I would not be surprised at all if he moves on this summer although personally i would like it if he was still around next season even if over time his role becomes less pivotal as the team evolves. In much the same way as people have attributed our playing style this season as "a means to an end" I think Hughton very much saw signing Holt back up at the start of the season as the same sort of thing, he looked at what we might be able to get with the funds available and concluded we were better off getting Holt to sign a contract than trying to replace him at that point in time. I expect, however, that the next striker we sign will be the long term replacement for Holt and if we stay up then the budget at our disposal should enable us to get in someone decent.

I don;t think his family being up in Carlisle particularly affects his effort, application or his mindset as he is well used to living away from them and indeed did it during some of his most successful spells with us. That said maybe the travelling will take a toll and I also wonder whether for a player such as him it is the best thing lifestyle/fitness wise.

Whatever happens he has been a great servant for the cub and I just hope that his remaining time with us (however long it is) does not see the relationship with the fans soured in any way through unwise exchanges of tweets or people moaning at him unnecessarily.

Unless somebody goes on Canary Call with something slanderous, surely Butler should allow all caller''s points of view to be expressed. The man is just an irksome boor.

he certainly didn''t miss that penalty because his family were living in Carlisle, and to claim otherwise is just moronic. it had to happen one day, this is the first miss since taking over duties from Wes. Rooney, a supposedly much better striker, has missed several.