Sign in to follow this  
ncfcstar

McDermott Sack Race

William Hill suspends betting on McDermott getting sack at - lots of local money saw odds go from 25/1 to 4/9 in 53mins

Matt Slater mainly focuses on cycling, but this is interesting.  No idea why Reading would do this with 9 games left, suicide as far as I can see.

[quote user="ncfcstar"] No idea why Reading would do this with 9 games left, suicide as far as I can see.
[/quote]

Well McDermott isn''t going to keep them up and someone else might. Simple as that, if it happens.

At this stage of the season there is a feeling that everyones made their beds now it''s time to lie in them. It''s the same with us, just get behind the manager whether you like whats happened or not and try and see the club over the line. If it turns out not to be good enough the manager is likely to get fired anyway.

McDermott will take the down and if they are planning on sacking him at the end of the season they might as well do it now. Maybe a new manager will grab a couple of wins out of nowhere and save them, and if not he has had time to look at the team for a promotion push next year.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"] No idea why Reading would do this with 9 games left, suicide as far as I can see.[/quote]

Well McDermott isn''t going to keep them up and someone else might. Simple as that, if it happens.

[/quote]That''s a rather simplistic view though isn''t it, there''s a lot more factors at play in regards to players opinions, time to get to know the squad etc etc.

Sometimes a new manager can just add impetus and a new bit of confidence to turn round results; aka ''the honeymoon period''. I suppose it is a gamble but when there is this much money at stake the Reading board may feel it is one which could pay off.

Although I expect they must have someone ready to come in, and probably with an eye to relegation next season as well.

[quote user="Aggy"]Sometimes a new manager can just add impetus and a new bit of confidence to turn round results; aka ''the honeymoon period''. I suppose it is a gamble but when there is this much money at stake the Reading board may feel it is one which could pay off.

Although I expect they must have someone ready to come in, and probably with an eye to relegation next season as well.[/quote]Sometimes it can, sometimes you just have a squad not good enough for the league.Wolves did the same thing last season, and look at them now.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Just you watch - they bring in Nigel Adkins and they stay up at Soton''s expense![/quote]

Some would call that justice. I would say ''as long as one of them at least goes down''.

I assume Reading are basically writing off their next two fixtures away to Man Utd and Arsenal, and planning for the Soton home game next month.

"BBC now reporting he has left"

a case of hair today, gone tomorrow

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"] No idea why Reading would do this with 9 games left, suicide as far as I can see.
[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s a rather simplistic view though isn''t it, there''s a lot more factors at play in regards to players opinions, time to get to know the squad etc etc.
[/quote]

Right, well McDermott knows the squad and the players may love him like he''s family but they''re still in the relegation zone, on a bad run of form and they look like they''re going down.

So, in my opinion, if you want to look at those "factors" then all you''re doing is clouding the situation.

They''re rolling the dice and giving themselves a chance to stay up. They can''t have any regrets at the end of the season and if they don''t change the manager when they no longer believe he can keep them up then they''d likely have big regrets.

If they do stay up then McDermott can say it''s his squad of players and he always thought he''d keep them up and if they go down then he can say he''d have kept them up. Either way he can save face and still has his tidy pay off.

The timing is bizarre.  Reading''s remaining games are as follows: with their squad, and these fixtures, I don''t think Mourinho, Ferguson and Scolari would get them more than 9 points.

Premier League

Man Utd V Reading

Sat 16 Mar 17:30
Premier League

Arsenal V Reading

Sat 30 Mar 15:00

Premier League

Reading V Southampton

Sat 6 Apr 12:45
Premier League

Reading V Liverpool

Sat 13 Apr 15:00
Premier League

Norwich V Reading

Sat 20 Apr 15:00
Premier League

Reading V QPR

Sun 28 Apr 13:30

Premier League

Fulham V Reading

Sat 4 May 15:00
Premier League

Reading V Man City

Sun 12 May 15:00
Premier League

West Ham V Reading

Sun 19 May 16:00

There were rumours earlier in the season that the chairman was really keen to appoint Dick Advocaat (sp?) the former Zenit manager- whether he will come to a side that look pretty doomed is another question.

I can remember, when they came here, towards the end of the 2008/9 season and won 2-0 to effectively relegate us, (live on tv?) with Shane Long scoring against us. I''m not saying it would be sweet to do the same again, but that would represent an almighty turn around of fortunes for both Clubs, in such a short space of time. Also, it would highlight how well our club has been run since, and Reading, even with a sugar daddy (and now another one) cannot get it right.

I also guess that it will not be long before one of the pantwetters suggest we get McDermott in, to replace Hughton.

Yes it was on Sky crabby, Long and Kebe ripped us to shreds on the night. It was the game when you could sense that CR knew the season was over.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]The timing is bizarre.  Reading''s remaining games are as follows: with their squad, and these fixtures, I don''t think Mourinho, Ferguson and Scolari would get them more than 9 points.

Premier League

Man Utd V Reading

Sat 16 Mar 17:30
Premier League

Arsenal V Reading

Sat 30 Mar 15:00

Premier League

Reading V Southampton

Sat 6 Apr 12:45
Premier League

Reading V Liverpool

Sat 13 Apr 15:00
Premier League

Norwich V Reading

Sat 20 Apr 15:00
Premier League

Reading V QPR

Sun 28 Apr 13:30

Premier League

Fulham V Reading

Sat 4 May 15:00
Premier League

Reading V Man City

Sun 12 May 15:00
Premier League

West Ham V Reading

Sun 19 May 16:00

[/quote]They can probably write off their next 2 games. They''ll be rock bottom at the start of April no doubt. It''ll be make or break with 3 home games out of 4 and the away game against us. Even if they win against Southampton, QPR and us they''ll be on 32pts and in need of another win from the last 3. It''s going to be a mightily tough ask. They''ll need to spring a surprise on Man U or Arsenal away, with a new manager getting to know the squad and vice versa