Sign in to follow this  
HampsteadCanary

Performance on Sunday

I''ve been thinking about how the players decided to push on at Everton, not necessarily against the will of Hughton but definitely not under his direction. I have a sneaky feeling we''ll come out all guns blazing on Sunday, and I hope the players can find it within themselves to give us the performance we''ve been waiting for for a long time now.

Maybe wishful thinking, but there''s been talk from players like Holt and Snodgrass about the tactics and how they don''t set out to not lose rather than win, so maybe they can decide for themselves to do what they''re capable of rather than waiting for the manager to tell them.

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]I''ve been thinking about how the players decided to push on at Everton, not necessarily against the will of Hughton but definitely not under his direction. I have a sneaky feeling we''ll come out all guns blazing on Sunday, and I hope the players can find it within themselves to give us the performance we''ve been waiting for for a long time now.

Maybe wishful thinking, but there''s been talk from players like Holt and Snodgrass about the tactics and how they don''t set out to not lose rather than win, so maybe they can decide for themselves to do what they''re capable of rather than waiting for the manager to tell them.[/quote]..........and you know all this? How exactly?

[quote user="Orford65"][quote user="HampsteadCanary"]I''ve been thinking about how the players decided to push on at Everton, not necessarily against the will of Hughton but definitely not under his direction. I have a sneaky feeling we''ll come out all guns blazing on Sunday, and I hope the players can find it within themselves to give us the performance we''ve been waiting for for a long time now.

Maybe wishful thinking, but there''s been talk from players like Holt and Snodgrass about the tactics and how they don''t set out to not lose rather than win, so maybe they can decide for themselves to do what they''re capable of rather than waiting for the manager to tell them.[/quote]..........and you know all this? How exactly?[/quote]

The words "sneaky feeling" and "wishful thinking" should answer your pointless question.

Re the OP, I don''t think that there is rebellion in the ranks. It would be different if we were at the bottom of the league. I think that discipline will be important away on Sunday but share your hope for an attacking approach.

Yes bristol, I agree that discipline is important, especially at a ground we haven''t won at for 16 years or something like that. I just hope they find the spark to get it gelling again like it has at points over the season. We all love to see Norwich in full flow :-)

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]Yes bristol, I agree that discipline is important, especially at a ground we haven''t won at for 16 years or something like that. I just hope they find the spark to get it gelling again like it has at points over the season. We all love to see Norwich in full flow :-)[/quote]

Especially if the world is watching on telly!

[quote user="SYG"]Not with Holt in the team we won''t[/quote]

Rubbish.     Holt is not the problem.    The supply from midfield is the problem.   Haven''t you been watching the matches?    Holt is a goal scorer and give him the chances and he will put them away.   There simply hasn''t been enough quality in midfield to give him those opportunities.  Any striker will struggle if they don''t get the service.

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]I''ve been thinking about how the players decided to push on at Everton, not necessarily against the will of Hughton but definitely not under his direction.[/quote]Well, that''s probably true.  After all, let''s look at those substitutions against Everton:Becchio off, Kamara on - 58 minutesHoolahan off, Pilkington on - 73 minutesIt''s clear to me, at least, that Hughton thought he was bringing on Mo Kamara, the Roeder era loanee left back, and he thought "Pilkington" was a thick pane of glass that would sit round about the eighteen yard box and prevent Everton scoring.Disappointingly for Hughton, Kamara turned out to be a striker, and Pilkington was a footballer who played on the left wing."Damn," said Hughton to his management team in their tactical bunker while, above them, the sounds of celebration from the home dressing room included Grant Holt downing a Big Mac meal in one. "How the hell did you let that happen?"

To be continued.....

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Well, that''s probably true.  After all, let''s look at those substitutions against Everton:Becchio off, Kamara on - 58 minutesHoolahan off, Pilkington on - 73 minutes

[/quote]That is pretty much like for like players.  It''s not like he pulled off BJ for Pilks.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Well, that''s probably true.  After all, let''s look at those substitutions against Everton:Becchio off, Kamara on - 58 minutesHoolahan off, Pilkington on - 73 minutes

[/quote]That is pretty much like for like players.  It''s not like he pulled off BJ for Pilks.[/quote]No, but neither is it like he took off Becchio for Whittaker.  People saying "Hughton didn''t want us to win against Everton" need their head tested.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]No, but neither is it like he took off Becchio for Whittaker.  People saying "Hughton didn''t want us to win against Everton" need their head tested.[/quote]Well clearly he wanted us to win.  But I don''t think it has been in his make up this season to "go for a win".  It is more "keep it tight at the back and be happy with a point". There is no denying this approach is keeping us up this season but can be quite frustrating to watch as a fan.

"Citizen Journalist Foghorn" Sunderland on a poor run of form, 2 draws and 4 defeats in the last 6. Us having scored in 2 of the last 9 games...  one away win all season.We won''t get a better chance for an away win before the end of the season.

You know that has bore-draw written all over it.:-)

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Mister Chops"]No, but neither is it like he took off Becchio for Whittaker.  People saying "Hughton didn''t want us to win against Everton" need their head tested.[/quote]Well clearly he wanted us to win.  But I don''t think it has been in his make up this season to "go for a win".  It is more "keep it tight at the back and be happy with a point". There is no denying this approach is keeping us up this season but can be quite frustrating to watch as a fan.[/quote]Yes, but that doesn''t justify suggesting our manager sets the team up to draw, not win.[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]I''ve been thinking about how the players

decided to push on at Everton, not necessarily against the will of

Hughton but definitely not under his direction.[/quote]Apparently there was some kind of mutiny and the players over-rode Hughton''s instructions by trying to win a game.Sorry, but that''s b*ll*cks.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Yes, but that doesn''t justify suggesting our manager sets the team up to draw, not win.

[/quote]I think Hughton does, he sets the game to keep it tight and sneak a goal at the other end.  We even played this way against Luton. He only changes this approach when we are losing, not when we are drawing.  This explains the large number of goalless draws, draws in general, clean sheets and failed to score this season.

Hard to believe Hughton was convicted of speeding just before he joined us.

He didn''t set out to get three points; once the opportunity presented itself he didn''t press on to get the three points and even today he is probably still wondering what he did to actually achieve three points.

Ever since then it''s been a case of safety first and coach, coach, coach.