Sign in to follow this  
Not Nigel

Goal music, countdown, captain canary...

Please get rid of all of these things, and bring back a standing area and allow us to drink alcohol in the stands.

Even just a five hundred seat block being removed for standing, and allowing one beer per person in each half.

If we are going to play boring football then at least please allow us to entertain ourselves and the opposing fans.

Rangers fans have the ''Union Bears'', a small area which they are trying to get extended:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4knISSD39h0

Celtic fans have the Green Brigade, another small area which they are trying to get extended:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MXAFrK0s6c

Barclay Lower block E and D, that''s all it needs to be, just one fun area, please.

Football is being destroyed.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Please get rid of all of these things, and bring back a standing area and allow us to drink alcohol in the stands.

Even just a five hundred seat block being removed for standing, and allowing one beer per person in each half.[/quote]Let''s move back to The Nest.......

Shut up Nigel, couldn''t care less about the City Stand, you old fogies can keep your tartan blankets and cups of bovril.

Something has to be done about the atmosphere at Carrow Road, and a few hundred people standing with a drum and a few flags would be a good start.

Give the players a beer (pint, half, bucket ?) for every goal scored and a players seating area, somewhere on the pitch they could go to when waiting to play or resting after coming off

a countdown for penalties and corners ... and the second half

introduce a non singing section of the ground, with a small (?) section of that designated a moaning area

and to encourage newer fans to maximise their outcome directed experience have attractive girls dressed as canaries who could give out handy ''crib sheets'' that contain all the latest buzzwords to either shout out or say in a loud voice .... "track the channels, work a shift, highline up top ...etc"

and finally gradually reduce the volume of the goal music so fans can sit down progressively, not all at once when it ends abruptly

err, more of a pi sstake out of the happy clappy types who want organised ''joviality''

and who will happily buy into any form of newspeak, as long it means they can be seen to conform

Why don''t we start smoking in the ground too.

Also get a drummer and bring flares

Having smoking areas seems like a perfectly brilliant idea to me, we don''t have wooden stands. Perhaps you weren''t a fan when the entire ground was smoking?

Have you been to many away grounds? I''ve been to several where you can walk out onto the concourse and smoke to your hearts content during the game or at half time.

To be fair, I''d love a smoking area, I loved it when we could smoke in Carriw Road, but I understand why it''s been stopped

"a hundred years"

err no, it was laughing the sort of guff going on now 

QPR did have a smoking area in the back corner,which was really handy. That was a couple of years ago though.

"I can''t believe there''s any football grounds that allow smoking on the premises?"

There are several grounds in the top two divisions which have uncovered areas in which fans can go for a cigarette during the game or during half time. I had no problem whatsoever going for a cigarette at Bramell Lane in an uncovered area where there are also toilets and a place to buy beer recently, about four times actually.

I should add that you have to physically leave the STAND and go OUTSIDE, but you don''t leave the ''premise'', you go to a fenced off outside area, much like the one that we used to have for away fans when we had the old South Stand (such an area is similar to areas still found at various different stadia in this country).

Did you also know that you can still smoke in most non-league grounds? This is a football league and premier league rule, not a government rule, when no roof is present. Where no roof is present it would otherwise be legal to smoke in a football stand, and many non-league teams have stands where smoking is permitted as no football authority forbids them from operating within the law and allowing smoking in a non-covered area.

[quote user="canarygirl"]It''s allowed in the Vatican so why not?[/quote]

there''s an awful lot else that goes on in the vatican, but it doesn''t mean that it should be permissable else where

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Something has to be done about the atmosphere at Carrow Road, and a few hundred people standing with a drum and a few flags would be a good start.[/quote]I was with you on your opening post but you had to spoil it with this post, I take it you have never been anyway near an idiot with a drum at a football match.

Its a difficult one to call isn''t it?

I''m all for standing areas in football grounds. i don''t want to stand anymore at games but there should be an opportunity for people who do want to do so to stand.

But I don''t want a fecking bloke with a drum anywhere near me-constant percussive aggro over 90 minutes and more, he can do one. There''s atmosphere and there''s a pain in the ears as well as the arse. But thats just my choice, it doesn''t make it the right one!

Lots of changes to the way we attend and watch football seem to be at the expense of other fans-the "I don''t like the choreographed singing so it should be scrapped" (neither do I) and "I don''t like the goal music, it should be scrapped" (neither do I) as well as moans and groans about happy clappers, wig wearers, blanket bearing and thermos bringing fans-should all of that and they be scrapped as well?

Or is the football for everyone? Yes, even them!

Do we want 26,000 fans of all types or 14,000 ''hardcore'' who''ll be delighted to see and hear its returned to the ''old days''?

I agree that if you sit in the Snakepit you need to adapt to its culture. But shouldn''t that logic also apply to those serene parts of the Jarrold as well? Or is it a case of the Snakepit should always be the Snakepit and woe betide those who speak against it-but the Jarrold shouldn''t be the Jarrold, it should be more how "I" think it should be, not how it is?

Football has a very wide demographic now. That illustrates itself perfectly at Carrow Road where recent regimes have done all they can to make it one of the more family orientated grounds in England. Fourty years ago or so it was anything but, it was a bastion of masculinity, very greatly dominated by men aged around 16-40 with very few children, women and more mature spectators. Whilst the Barclay then makes the Snakepit now look like a kindergarten.

Don''t get me wrong-I''m playing devils advocate here in the main-but it does seem as if fan is perpetually set against fan at the moment in the ground and on here and that shouldn''t be the case. What would make the majority of people, whoever they are, happy for the majority of the time rather than one "type" of fan-whoever and whatever they are?

"I was with you on your opening post but you had to spoil it with this post, I take it you have never been anyway near an idiot with a drum at a football match"

Fair enough we can lose the drum, although at Celtic the two drummers good couple of meters away from the seats, and they don''t get used constantly - only for a few of their regular chants. Same at Rangers, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X65QwZyoOw0

"Its a difficult one to call isn''t it? I''m all for standing areas in football grounds. i don''t want to stand anymore at games but there should be an opportunity for people who do want to do so to stand"

It''s not the slightest bit difficult to call. You make one small area of the ground standing (Barclay Lower, basically), and if you want to stand you get a season ticket for the Barclay Lower. If you don''t want to stand you get a season ticket in any of the other three and a half stands + three corner stands.

"But I don''t want a fecking bloke with a drum anywhere near me-constant percussive aggro over 90 minutes and more, he can do one. There''s atmosphere and there''s a pain in the ears as well as the arse. But thats just my choice, it doesn''t make it the right one!"

Yeah fair enough about the drum.

"Lots of changes to the way we attend and watch football seem to be at the expense of other fans-the "I don''t like the choreographed singing so it should be scrapped" (neither do I) and "I don''t like the goal music, it should be scrapped" (neither do I) as well as moans and groans about happy clappers, wig wearers, blanket bearing and thermos bringing fans-should all of that and they be scrapped as well?"

Seems simple enough to me, you put it to a referendum. Let every season ticket holder vote on these issues, for example. "What do you think of the goal music? Tick one box"

a) I love it

b) I hate it

c) We need to change the song

There is a lot to be said for democracy, it has served this country well in the main.

"Or is the football for everyone? Yes, even them!"

The way that you are getting this wrong is that you are making out that the people who support my OP are the majority, when in fact they are a firm minority, so at the moment the people who support my OP are the minority being silenced by the majority. Nobody in the Riverend, City Stand, and Jarrold, would be the slightest bit affected by a radical change in the Barclay Lower. In fact, they might even enjoy the noise, they quite enjoyed Celtic didn''t they?

"Do we want 26,000 fans of all types or 14,000 ''hardcore'' who''ll be delighted to see and hear its returned to the ''old days''?"

I want 26000 fans in the ground with a few thousand in the lower Barclay being allowed to stand, smoke beer, and hopefully be allowed into a fenced off outside area for a fag.

"I agree that if you sit in the Snakepit you need to adapt to its culture. But shouldn''t that logic also apply to those serene parts of the Jarrold as well? Or is it a case of the Snakepit should always be the Snakepit and woe betide those who speak against it-but the Jarrold shouldn''t be the Jarrold, it should be more how "I" think it should be, not how it is?"

Sure. Give the fans a few thousand standing places in the lower Barclay, and if you haven''t got the ticket there then tough.... you are sitting. I''d suggest that the Snakepit is an unsafe area for standing due to the presence of that large brick wall, so I''d suggest that the Snakepit boys would need to reintegrate with the Barclay Lower if they wanted to enjoy the liberties that I am suggesting, although many of them must be in the 50''s now, may not be long before they are sipping Bovril at the other end of the City Stand.

"Football has a very wide demographic now. That illustrates itself perfectly at Carrow Road where recent regimes have done all they can to make it one of the more family orientated grounds in England"

By focusing on the family experience you are neglecting the lad culture which for decades was the life support of British football. Having a small area of the ground dedicated to people who want to get pissed up and sing until their voice goes hoarse doesn''t detract from that in any way. If you have a young kid, don''t stand in the Barclay, doesn''t take a genius, does it? I bet more Stoke and Wigan fans would be prepared to travel down if we had a reputation as a ground with a great atmosphere and some amazing banter with away fans. We are fast getting a reputation as having a ground like a library.

"What would make the majority of people, whoever they are, happy for the majority of the time rather than one "type" of fan-whoever and whatever they are?"

It is you applying labels and categories to types of fan, not me. I just want the club to think about catering for the minority of people who want to go to the football to have a few beers and make a lot of noise, something which standing aids immensely.

Ripping out some seats is also the most cost effective way that we would have of extending our ground capacity.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Please get rid of all of these things, and bring back a standing area and allow us to drink alcohol in the stands.

Even just a five hundred seat block being removed for standing, and allowing one beer per person in each half.[/quote]Let''s move back to The Nest.......[/quote]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOWJECdobqk;)