Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

POTS has to be earned

Really basic statement but true:

Look at the roles that players are brought into play and look to see who has been "outstanding" - not those who have just "done their job"!

Most of the team fall into the latter category, so only those who fall into the "outstanding" category should be considered. At this stage, I think there are only 2 players that qualify - Sebastian Bassong and Robert Snodgrass (and I struggle to think of a 3rd "outstanding" performer)

There is a section of society who believe that the heroes of the game are the goalscorers - who should automatically be contenders for POTS - obviously this won''t apply to us this year!

Indeed. Infact Turner has edged it against Bassong in some of our biggest results - the home wins against Arsenal, Utd and Everton spring to mind. He just needed a few games to get into his stride and since then he''s pretty much been immense.

I would expect the top 3 for POTS to come from Bassong, Johnson, Snodgrass and Turner.

can''t argue with that GJP, in fact if he keeps playing like he has for the last few weeks, i have a sneaky feeling (i often get them) that Turner will be in pole position.

Aside from those early few games, Turner has definitely been outstanding. Between him, Bassong and Snodgrass

Has to be Bassong, mainly for the fact the whole defence seems to fall apart without him. Everyone who has played alongside Seb has looked a much better player.

Turner''s shakey start to the season wasn''t that unexpected after he missed a large part of the pre-season frozen out at Sunderland - hopefully he can show O''Neill his mistake in letting him go this Sunday.

The thing with Turner though is that whilst when playing alongside Bassong he often arguably outperforms Bassong, if he has to play without him then his performance levels seem to dip massively.

In short, Turner plays well when he has a good partner alongside him whereas Bassong generally plays well but also seems to make those around him play better as well and thus I would say has been more important to us.

For me its Snoddy, Bassong and Johnson in that order. Honourable mentions for Bunn and Turner. Whats really noticeable is how few of last years squad are in the running. Wes might have been had he maintained his early season form.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]The thing with Turner though is that whilst when playing alongside Bassong he often arguably outperforms Bassong, if he has to play without him then his performance levels seem to dip massively. In short, Turner plays well when he has a good partner alongside him whereas Bassong generally plays well but also seems to make those around him play better as well and thus I would say has been more important to us.  [/quote]

Of course something that is always crucially overlooked here is that Bassong has always had the benefit of playing on the left side of defence where he is comfortable.

This isn''t to take anything away from Bassong because he''s been awesome for us put play him on the right side of the defence alongside someone like Ryan Bennett and you would not see the same player.

Snodgrass has been our outstanding attacking player, Bassong has been our outstanding defensive player (over Turner for the steadiness and confidence he brings to the back especially since Ruddy was injured), Johnson in midfield and Bunn for most improved under pressure.

Where have we improved the most after last season?

It''s got to be the clean sheets therefore Bassong for me.

If you look at the attacking stats, Snodgrass is ahead of the rest by a country mile, but Bassong is a better player.Definately between these 2 for me.

It is going to be very very close between Bassong and Snodgrass.

But in 20 years the POTS award has been given to six different center backs if you include Dube, and only two wingers (one of whom won it twice - Hucks, and the other who won it in the worst Norwich team of my lifetime - Lee Croft).

So I think Bassong is going to grab it. I wouldn''t be able to pick between the two, would have to flick a coin.

In case you are wondering who they are:

Jon Newsome (1995)

Spencer Prior (1996)

Matt Jackson (1998)

Craig Fleming (2004)

Gary Doherty (2006)

Dion Dublin (2008) - Kinda counts

[quote user="canarygirl"]It''s got to be Snoddy, one of the few shining lights going forward in a team that struggles to score.[/quote]He has done well, his corners and free kicks are top drawer. He also takes a good dive to win free kicks.  From open play he only has 2 premiership goals, and he has had more shots per game than Grant Holt this season.  Definitely something to improve on. His defensive work is exceptional.

"Lee Croft and Matt Jackson.. i think not!"

Croft granted, but what was wrong with Jackson? As far as I recall he had a difficult start before being one of our most important players for several years. He went on to play Premier League football did he not?

In fact, wasn''t he our team captain?