Sign in to follow this  
STAN

OTBC 3,2,1.. Boycott?

I hate the countdown to OTBC with a passion, not only does it ruin the song it''s embarrassing, a constant source of amusement amongst away fans.

From what I gather no-one likes it, yet, like monkeys, we go along with it every single game..

All it would take is to boycott it for 1 game, Ignore the twonk on the microphone and start our own chorus of OTBC when the ref blows his whistle for the start of the game...

The club would have to take notice. They could hardly instruct a bloke to shout out a countdown across the tannoy that simply leads to nothing.

Perhaps arrange it for the last game of the season so the words got time to spread..?

Thoughts?

I already don''t sing along to it, so consider me signed up.

Someone needs to get this, and goal music, to Mcnallys attention.

From what I gather no-one likes it, yet, like monkeys, we go along with it every single game..

they do, the happy clappies love it ........ they know nothing else

most I know however, simply cringe inside

City1st''s description the other day was the best i''ve seen..

''We get some halfwit giving us a ''countdown'' as if is the opening of a new poundshop in some chavvy town, being opened by a Big Brother contestant from 2005''

In my opinion it needs to happen!

If I remember rightly before the ''3,2,1'' (possibly 3 season ago?) we still had the said ''twonk'' doing the usual "everyone in the Jarold, the N+P, the City stand, the Barclay, and of course the snake pit, lets get behind our boys" then there was a natural few seconds pause and everyone would automatically start singing OTBC.

Whilst that was bad enough it sure beat the 3,2,1 countdown..

The "and of course the snake pit" also makes me cry a little inside...

Problem is stan it is not sung it is shrieked, in almost some sort of maniacal defiance

You cannot compare that to nights like Palace at home in''73 when the ground was packed to the rafters, far more than the official 35,000 recorded - a very very important game for us and if my memoru serves me well it was the second half when choruses and choruses of on the ball rolled round the ground - a song that you rarely heard and seemed to belong to those games

to have it debased now to this hideous squawk is far more than embarrasing, as is the ''1950''s holiday camp'' feel to it all, tacky enforced jollity

STAN
has a very good idea there, boycott the song after the countdown. It needs organization though, is any one out there a printer, we could hand out leaflets before a match (I''m willing to distribute)Maybe a mass twitter or facebook page  on the subject 

probably not a good idea Swindon, as will only make us look silly and attract unnecessary attention

and most likely enthuse the happy clappies to shriek even louder - remember these are the dimwits who I suspect would happily shriek along with a countdown to the one minutes armistice silence in November, were there to be such an obscene idea

best bet is to write or email McNally and let him know your thoughts .. and encourage others who feel the same to do likewise

hopefully with any luck we can get that bit of buffoonery stopped at the end of the season and not resumed in August

The song I believe is from the 1890''s and needs to be embraced. I love the idea of a community led song and suggest we all dress up in period costume arriving at the ground in frock coats and top hats. Admission will be one penny old money and the players will be paid 3d - yawn

Alternatively we could ditch it completely and move into the 21st century

The song is ours and brilliant. The countdown sucks and is crap, get rid of it, I always try and enter the ground after it has been sang because i dislike it that much.

[quote user="STAN"]I hate the countdown to OTBC with a passion, not only does it ruin the song it''s embarrassing, a constant source of amusement amongst away fans. From what I gather no-one likes it, yet, like monkeys, we go along with it every single game.. All it would take is to boycott it for 1 game, Ignore the twonk on the microphone and start our own chorus of OTBC when the ref blows his whistle for the start of the game... The club would have to take notice. They could hardly instruct a bloke to shout out a countdown across the tannoy that simply leads to nothing. Perhaps arrange it for the last game of the season so the words got time to spread..? Thoughts?[/quote]

If that were true then it wouldn''t need a boycott. Or are you actually saying 20,000 people happily do something they don''t want to do?

I reckon the orchestrated OTBC is the one the whole ground join in the most. So if people only go along with it because they''re monkeys and don''t really want to why don''t they join in when it''s not orchestrated?

"Or are you actually saying 20,000 people happily do something they don''t want to do?"

You think 20,000 people sing it? About 5% of that is probably an accurate figure.

"Or are you actually saying 20,000 people happily do something they don''t want to do?"

Yep it can happen,

Billy Graham was ace at it, getting 1000s of people to stand up and give him their cash etc.

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]"Or are you actually saying 20,000 people happily do something they don''t want to do?" You think 20,000 people sing it? About 5% of that is probably an accurate figure.[/quote]

Well I don''t want to have a stupid argument based on how many people sing it. So I''ll bow to your superior knowledge and go with 1,000.

What I have noticed is that more people join in with the orchestrated version than join in the spontaneous ones. So Probably 500 or so sing OTBC at during the games. Why would that be?

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]"Or are you actually saying 20,000 people happily do something they don''t want to do?"

You think 20,000 people sing it? About 5% of that is probably an accurate figure.[/quote]

Are you available for private Maths tuition?

If so, I''m very reasonable, £15 an hour and I''ll teach you the basics.

I agree it has had it''s day. What I find inspiring is the unique "we shoot burglars" or when one of the big boys comes to the Carra seeing the lower Barclay and the snake pit stand as one and sing "we support our local team" truly inspiring stuff.

Well if less that 1000 people sing OTBC then there''s prob only about 150 sing "we support our local team" and "the bull''s eye blind 50" shoot burglars...

I am usually eating my pie then so to avoid choking I can''t chant and eat at the same time.

Have to say that I find the 321 countdown on the pitch cringeworthy as well, do people volunteeer to go on the pitch and do that?

I think the wholeday matchday entertainment experience including the crossbar challenge at halftime needs looking at, surely we can come up with something better than that.

But why do so many people do it? Nobody yet has come on this thread and admitted to taking part in the orchestrated otbc. Well except me[:$] It does sound like more than a solo to me though....