Sign in to follow this  
Not Nigel

A little something that I've noticed about Hughton....

Unlike many others I''ve never the slightest bit bothered when Hughton praises other teams before a game (well, a few times he has gone a little TOO far), because he is likely saying something very different to the players. If anybody really thinks that he sits there before a game and says "Sunderland have got class players boys just give it your best shot" then you need a reality check.

What does bother me about Hughton, and I''ve noticed this all season, is that he is very free with information about injuries and when players are back, allowing opposition managers to pretty much guess the exact line up and to prepare for the return of players. For example, today he has announced that Tettey should be back for the Wigan game and Pilkington should be back in two or three weeks.

I''m pretty sure that Lambert generally used to be much more obscure with comments like "he has a little way to go" or "he is getting there", giving absolutely nothing away at all and often surprising people with an injured player appearing on the bench.

Martinez now knows that Tettey is likely to be playing against us, whilst Swansea can prepare for the possibility of Pilkington on the left, Wenger is almost certain that Pilkington will be playing at the Emirates.

I''m pretty certain that there is no obligation to hand in team sheets until 15 minutes before a game, and whilst I''m not certain - there is no obligation to keep the opposition or the FA informed of the exact status of our injured players.

There has also been a few occasions where Norwich players have given big clues as to who has traveled to away games and who has not on Twitter, with a few surprises at the time.

I''m pretty certain that Alex Ferguson didn''t announce to the world that Wayne Rooney was being benched the day before the Real Madrid game, and that as a result the Madrid players would have been preparing to face Rooney.

Here''s an example of how lapse this can be at times: http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2835895/ShowPost.aspx

"Quite a few tweets from players traveling to WBA today, but Holt has tweeted he is chilling at home and going for a meal with Ryan Bennett and George Francomb tonight. Could be a wind up of course, but would imply he''s not playing tomorrow"

So West Brom got to know the night before the game that our most capable striker was not going to be playing the next day. They were also capable of pretty much working out who are centre backs were going to be. We lost that game.

I predict the inevitable "stop moaning", "negativity", "anti-Hughton" crap, but frankly.... it''s true. Why does Hughton need to announce that Tettey is pretty much going to play against Wigan? Why tell West Brom that Holt isn''t playing until 15 minutes before the game?

Why tell Wigan that Pilkington isn''t going to be fit, so they can prepare to likely face either a 4-4-2 with Hoolahan out wide on the left or a right footed winger on the left who they can prepare to nullify by keeping him on his wrong foot? Just why?

Knitted balaclava helmets is the way forward here, they won''t know who they''re playing until after kickoff if everyone faces towards the opposition during warmup etc, during play they wont know if that''s a left winger or right back coming at them. Goalkeeper should wear an Alan Partridge mask to make him easily distinguishable from the others..

Martinez now knows that Tettey is likely to be playing against us, whilst Swansea can prepare for the possibility of Pilkington on the left, Wenger is almost certain that Pilkington will be playing at the Emirates.

Ah caught you out, you''re a Wigan fan!

I''d like to see a man or woman with a swanee whistle sitting next to him at each press conference and when he''s about to say a players name and thier status Hughton has to put his hand over his mouth whilst the swanee whistler masks the sound with the swanee whistle.

If the Premier league object we can get round the objection by changing our nickname to The Clangers and replace Captain Canary with the Soup Dragon. 

All our players should wear a Niqab during the game, and very small squad numbers on their backs. The opposition would still probably spot Holty though!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]All our players should wear a Niqab during the game, and very small squad numbers on their backs. The opposition would still probably spot Holty though![/quote]

......and Wes!

there is one rather obvious flaw in all this idiocy

if another manager is setting out his team based on a player who may play for us

why are we nor responding accordingly bu not playing that player, so messing up their plans ?

and if they are doing that for us, why are our players not being changed round to meet their team

frankly it is all a load of old bo llox that what Hughton says in a press conference has any real bearing on other managers plans

What if Pilks now turns up and plays this weekend? And maybe Martinez will be planning to get around Tettey all week, only to find out he''s not playing as he''s still actually a fortnight away from fitness.

Is Hughton the king of the double bluff?!

I think this is very good observation - and a correct one. I think it is always wise to be vague or even mislead the opposition before a game.

Surprise has won many battles throughout history....

Any player caught using Twitter should be subject to Saudi Arabian justice.  First a finger, then the hand, then the other hand.This would clearly affect goalkeepers more than outfield players.

There was an old trick where the home team would place a recording device in the away dressing room to listen in on tactics and team selection. Apparently gaining as much insight into the opposition as possible has been abandoned in the 21st century, sigh.

yes. it''s not as if the team selection is ever released well before the game is started is it ?

I would ask if you have any evidence of this rather silly (even for you) claim, however taht will only provoke another hissy fit on you part

so better not ask

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]I didn''t claim as such.[/quote]

or for the grown ups

"There was an old trick where the home team would place a recording device in the away dressing room to listen in on tactics and team selection."

sounds rather like a claim, to me