Sign in to follow this  
TownFan

James Vaughan

Orite Lads, HTFC fan here, just wondering what you lot think of JV? He has become a fan favourite at Town mainly down to his passion, work ethic and goals of course (albeit he hasn''t scored loads but we''ve struggled this year!). He hasn''t played as much as we would of liked due to injuries and suspensions, but there isn''t a single fan on our board who wouldn''t be happy if he signed on a permanent after his loan is up. How much do you reckon he is worth? Do you think you''d be willing to sell?Cheers.

Cracking player and had he not had injury problems, he''d have played for England by now. That is the problem though. Injuries.

Some of his game is based around his pace and with his knees constantly bucking, he has lost that edge he had that would have put him amongst the elite.

His work rate has led him to diving into any lost cause and probably gotten him these injuries, but should you luck out and get an injury free spell, he is a premier league forward.

It''s the same as the problems Van Persie had until the start of last season. He shook off the bad luck and has stormed it the last two years.

He has the ability to succeed at us, but really we need someone who can be relied upon to be fit every game (or at least most) and unfortunately, Vaughan doesn''t fit this bill.

£2m seems a fair amount, nothing lost then on our part and a player who could really help you kick on for your part and remember he is still very young.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Cracking player and had he not had injury problems, he''d have played for England by now.  [/quote]

Only if several far better players had been unavailable because injuries or no injuries James Vaughan is a long way off that standard.

"£2m seems a fair amount, nothing lost then on our part and a player who could really help you kick on for your part and remember he is still very young"

We have about as much chance as qualifying for the Champions League as we do getting £2m for a player with his injury record. Suspect we''d be lucky to get £1m for him.

£750k up front, plus £750k if he plays 100 competitive games in the next three years.

The bloke is a ticking timebomb when it comes to injuries, and Everton fans couldn''t believe we paid what we did for him because of that.... which was £1.5m right?

It''s interesting that you mention Van Persie''s injury record over the past couple of seasons, because I heard a coach/pundit (cant remember who) say that Wenger altered VP''s game to ensure he was less injury prone... i.e. applying less effort towards the build up play and instead simply finishing off moves and getting 20+ goals a season.

Maybe Vaughn needs this instruction in order to stay injury free.

In reply to the OP, I think CH would be keen to let him go, but IMO we should be getting roughly what we paid for him.

"Only if several far better players had been unavailable because injuries or no injuries James Vaughan is a long way off that standard"

And his point was that if he hadn''t have had the injuries that he''d had, he probably would have been at that standard. You do know his full injury history, don''t you? He''d missed pretty much three full seasons by the time he was 21, the bloke is very lucky to still be playing.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]"Only if several far better players had been unavailable because injuries or no injuries James Vaughan is a long way off that standard" And his point was that if he hadn''t have had the injuries that he''d had, he probably would have been at that standard. You do know his full injury history, don''t you? He''d missed pretty much three full seasons by the time he was 21, the bloke is very lucky to still be playing.[/quote]

Yes, I do know about his injury record. Who doesn''t!?

He''s just not that good.

lambert over paid for him, hes worth 500,000 - 750,000 at most because he spends too much time with the physio/doctorswe will throw in a fruit basket and a packet of maltesers if this encourages you to take him off our hands

also if you want to buy a pile o''5hit3 in bulk/on the cheap then we can throw in simeon jackson, chris martin, lee camp, leon barnett and ayala for 3 or 4 mill ;)

"Yes, I do know about his injury record. Who doesn''t!?

He''s just not that good"

And you don''t think that he would have been a better player if he hadn''t have had extremely serious injuries at a crucial stage in his development?

He could run 100 meters in 11.5 seconds when he was 13, do you think that he could run 100 meters in 11.5 seconds now?

Come on GJP, you are smarter than this.

"also if you want to buy a pile o''5hit3 in bulk/on the cheap then we can throw in simeon jackson, chris martin, lee camp, leon barnett and ayala for 3 or 4 mill"

It''s incredibly harsh to label three players who have played a very important role in the most exciting and lucrative period of our recent history as "a pile of shit". Perhaps you are forgetting where we would be without Chris Martin''s and Simeon Jackson''s goals, and how much of an improvement Leon Barnett was on Michael Nelson.

Huddersfield are not permitted to complete the signing of Lee Camp until the end of this season, when the window reopens, by which time he will not be our player to sell.

Perhaps Huddersfield would be willing to take some of our rubbish fans, I''ll personally pay £10 if you take this one.

Sadly injuries will always stop him from playing at full potential. However, still a handy striker and would be great for any championship team. I think we all wanted him to do well here at the start of the season, but I think the dream of him ever being a start striker in the Prem is one step beyond him.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]"Yes, I do know about his injury record. Who doesn''t!? He''s just not that good" And you don''t think that he would have been a better player if he hadn''t have had extremely serious injuries at a crucial stage in his development? He could run 100 meters in 11.5 seconds when he was 13, do you think that he could run 100 meters in 11.5 seconds now? Come on GJP, you are smarter than this.[/quote]

Yeah, I''m sure those injuries have cost him something (and cost us something!).

He''s a competitor and that''s nice to see, it''s crowd pleasing. In the Championship he''s a bit of a threat.

But looking at his overall playing style, I''m just not convinced. Not when it comes to the Premier League. Does he make the right decisions often enough? I don''t think so.

Im sure we''d snap you''re hand off if we could get him for £750k. Him along with Adam Clayton have been our best players by a long way this season. He''ll certainly be missed if we don''t sign him up.

[quote user="TownFan"]Orite Lads, HTFC fan here, just wondering what you lot think of JV? Cheers.
[/quote]

No point in asking, no one can remember seeing him play for us. He''s a striker isn''t he?

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]

It''s incredibly harsh to label three players who have played a very important role in the most exciting and lucrative period of our recent history as "a pile of shit". Perhaps you are forgetting where we would be without Chris Martin''s and Simeon Jackson''s goals, and how much of an improvement Leon Barnett was on Michael Nelson.

Huddersfield are not permitted to complete the signing of Lee Camp until the end of this season, when the window reopens, by which time he will not be our player to sell.

Perhaps Huddersfield would be willing to take some of our rubbish fans, I''ll personally pay £10 if you take this one.[/quote]learn how to use the quote button its very easy ;)

jackson did ok, and scored a few very important goals, you could see how out of his depth he was last season, hes not a premier league player, and neither are any of the others. They are deadweight and just eating wage bill that could be put towards better quality.

thanks for your work, but your services are no longer required.

as for lee camp - well they can have him for free then cant they ;)

"But looking at his overall playing style, I''m just not convinced. Not when it comes to the Premier League. Does he make the right decisions often enough? I don''t think so"

He has started one competitive game for Norwich City, I''m glad that you feel able to reach a conclusion in such a short space of time. In his 1 start, 4 sub apps, and the friendly against Celtic, he showed a lot more than Becchio has in his 2 starts and 3 sub appearances.

I''m not saying that he is a Premier League player anyway, what I am saying is that if he was still able to run as fast as Theo Walcott and Gareth Bale,,,,, then he''d have had a fairly decent chance, dont ya think?

It took Wenger three years to teach Walcott how to do the right thing, perhaps without the injuries Moyes would have been able to do the same.

There is a lot to be said for experience at a young age.

"learn how to use the quote button its very easy ;)"

I know how to use the quote button, it''s just that I don''t use rubbish antiquated internet browsers like Internet Explorer, and decent internet browsers - like Google Chrome - are not compatible with this rubbish antiquated forum software.

Now, if the PinkUn webmaster would only press "update", it isn''t hard, he''s only about four or five years late.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]"But looking at his overall playing style, I''m just not convinced. Not when it comes to the Premier League. Does he make the right decisions often enough? I don''t think so" He has started one competitive game for Norwich City, I''m glad that you feel able to reach a conclusion in such a short space of time. In his 1 start, 4 sub apps, and the friendly against Celtic, he showed a lot more than Becchio has in his 2 starts and 3 sub appearances. I''m not saying that he is a Premier League player anyway, what I am saying is that if he was still able to run as fast as Theo Walcott and Gareth Bale,,,,, then he''d have had a fairly decent chance, dont ya think? It took Wenger three years to teach Walcott how to do the right thing, perhaps without the injuries Moyes would have been able to do the same. There is a lot to be said for experience at a young age.[/quote]

Can''t I have watched him play for Crystal Palace and/or Huddersfield too?

No idea how you could possibly say that he "showed a lot more than Becchio". Probably just shows how underrated Becchio is and what a tough task he faces proving City fans wrong who have made up their minds about him far too early.

When it comes to looking after the ball Becchio is much more clued up. Of course part of that is experience but he knows better what positions to take up and he knows better how to use the ball to help his team mates.

Having that stupid amount of pace would probably have helped Vaughan but plenty of players with pace are not the greatest of players. Bale always looked a good footballer when he was at Southampton and Walcott was neater and tidier with the ball even if his decision making wasn''t always right.

Well I saw Vaughan score two goals in a game against a team containing quite a few of the members of the Celtic team which did alright in Europe this year (Commons, Forster and Hooper were on the pitch).

Pretty sure he should have had a penalty at the end of a game last season too, remember that?

I guess that Vaughan had no idea what he was doing mind, complete flukes.

Just always looked dangerous to me, and tended to get into the right positions. I saw something in him.

"Can''t I have watched him play for Crystal Palace and/or Huddersfield too?"

You can, but if you watched them on TV it doesn''t count. It''s difficult to judge a player on a TV screen, when you don''t always know what he is doing off the ball, or where he came from off shot, or whether he had anybody to play a ball too.

TV cameras for Championship games often leave a lot to be desired. They are even worse for Norwich games, where you miss whole 30 second segments so that they can zoom in pointlessly on Delia.

So have you been to Selhurst Park and whatever the ''uddersfield ground is called recently?

Cheese knees Vaughan is not good enough for the premier league. To say without injuries he would have played for England is crazy. Did this happen on championship manger?

For all his ethic and work rate his decison making is not good enough. Probally because he works to hard he does''nt take time to think.

Can anybody in our ranks possibly pass accurate judgement upon James Vaughan given the limited amount of time he has played with us? 

He came here with a dual reputation, that of being an extremely well-considered prospect at the highest level and that of being a player building up a reputation for being injury prone. Unfortunately, as far as we were/are concerned the second predominated.

The fact remains that Lambert considered him worth the price despite the risk. 

Good strikers are at a premium at this level and there are enough indications that Vaughan is one of those, and likely one who can perform at the highest level. He is ours. He will have had the requisite period of recuperation with playing time and opportunity to prove his form and his overall fitness level.

We will have had him monitored quite closely, he cost a lot after all. If Chris Hughton and his staff consider the above two criteria met and if the player wants to return to Carrow Road I would welcome him back as another option for next season.

He might just be a revelation, he might be just another young player who failed to fulfill early promise. 

He is pretty good on fm 2008 ha. Unfortunately I think barring injuries I think he would be a good striker. An upgrade on simeon, But just like ayala he''s too injury prone so just so unreliable.