Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

And Cody sc ...

Here is Cody Mac''s career record:

Premier League 0 apps 0 goals

Championship 30 apps 5 goals

League One 32 apps 5 goals

League Two 48 apps 29 goals

Think we can all see where his level is, can''t we?

Still think he''s a decent Champs striker?

When was he ever a decent Champs striker?

For the record, I liked him and was confused when he left, thought he was definitely worth keeping, and didn''t understand Lambert not playing him much, when he did play he always played well and scored a few.

"didn''t understand Lambert not playing him much"

He made 25 appearances for us in our League One season, 24 of them under Lambert, how much did you want him to play with Holt and Martin scoring so freely?

"when he did play he always played well and scored a few"

4 goals in 25 games in all competitions isn''t a very good return for a team at the top of the league. Cody didn''t take his chance with us, and so got a chance to score goals at Gillingham.

There was not a chance in hell that he was ever Championship quality, and 4 goals in 20 for Coventry including today if he doesn''t score again, in all competitions, suggests that he has yet to take his chance with Coventry either.

Have you got me on ignore Phillip? Never mind, I think most people have.

Anyway, to reply to Gingerpele, He scored against Cardiff (I think) on his debut. I thought he played well thereafter when given a chance, but the team was going down the tubes then.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Have you got me on ignore Phillip? Never mind, I think most people have.

Anyway, to reply to Gingerpele, He scored against Cardiff (I think) on his debut. I thought he played well thereafter when given a chance, but the team was going down the tubes then.[/quote]
Actually, I don''t know what happened! I swear I made that post before 4:04 pm...
Anyway I''m sorry for missing your post, I certainly didn''t meant to! 
[:)]

That''s OK Phillip. I''m just feeling a bit sensitive after my RVW post being hijacked by BBB.

Still.

One Love xxx (for BBB).

[quote user="ron obvious"]That''s OK Phillip. I''m just feeling a bit sensitive after my RVW post being hijacked by BBB.

Still.

One Love xxx (for BBB).[/quote]That''s what Bly does. Once he stumbles across something on Google, he''ll start a new thread and ignore any others on the same subject. Then he''ll keep bumping with a load of waffle it to ensure it stays prominent.What''s the betting he''''ll start a new thread on departed strikers now.........

It''s a day for ex players to score. Michael Rose and Paul Hayes. Jamie lad??

In reply to Singup, how many of those apperanced were from the bench? And how many full games did he play/how man mins did he get in the starts?

Goals to mins ratio is technically a better way to work out a player, who isn''t a frequent starter and/or plays most of the game time. If you were to say compare Martin to MacDonald in League One, Martin started a lot more games, probably got taken off for someone like Cody, or Oli Johnson quite frequently, but still would have played a lot more.

While under Lambert, I just didn''t get the impression Cody was given much of a chance. I remember a short spell, perhaps 4/5 games in which he scored I thought 3 goals, may be way off. Think Martin was injured for a couple weeks. Then Martin came back and/or Cody got a minor injury and he hardly played again all season, despite in that spell (in which he was starting games) him doing pretty well.

I''m not trying to claim he''s a great player, like my original statement, he was never a good Champ player. I just don''t think he played as much as perhaps he deserved to. And because of how he played, always seemed like a decent player to have around.

[quote user="Herman "]It''s a day for ex players to score. Michael Rose and Paul Hayes. Jamie lad??[/quote][8]Ain''t no barn door high enoughAin''t no barn door wide enough....

"I''m not trying to claim he''s a great player, like my original statement, he was never a good Champ player"

+

"I just don''t think he played as much as perhaps he deserved to. And because of how he played, always seemed like a decent player to have around"

And you already have your answers, I think.

If we didn''t have Chris Martin, then perhaps Cody McDonald had stepped in with some of the goals that we needed that season.

But we did have Chris Martin, who formed a fantastic partnership with Grant Holt, and scored a shed load of goals.

He didn''t get much football because he was third choice in the first half of the season. He didn''t get much football in the second half of the season because OIi Johnson arrived, who in fairness was very good for us in League One.

There were two vacancies for strikers in Lambert''s team, and Holt and Martin took them, justified fully why they were given the job, and Cody got about as much football as you would expect a third and then fourth choice striker to get.

Oli Johnson scored 4 league goals in 17 league games for us, Cody scored 3 in 17 league games for us that season.

I personally think that Cody was the better player out of the two (McDonald + Johnson), but then you can''t really argue that Johnson came in and did a good job, provided us with perhaps something that Lambert felt we lacked - pace. It was for the same reason that he brought McNamee in during the same window, and having Johnson + McNamee on the bench really did enable us to play a bit differently at times, when required.

As third choice, then fourth choice, and then getting promoted, somebody had to make way for Simeon Jackson.

There could perhaps be a valid argument which says that Cody was a better player than Johnson, but when we are arguing about who would make the best fourth choice striker, it seems like a futile one.

And besides, the loan spell that year ''made'' Cody as a professional footballer, it was what got him a move to Coventry.

If he''d have stayed, instead of Oli Johnson, then perhaps it would be Cody McDonald without a club now instead of Oli Johnson (released by York after 7 appearances and 0 goals).

So in hindsight, any big Cody fan who was gutted to see him not given more of a chance under Lambert, should probably be grateful that he didn''t.... because without those 25 Gillingham goals on his CV he''d have been in danger of drifting quickly back into obscurity.

Oli Johnson played 4 times in the league for us in our Championship season. So perhaps that''s a decent measure of how many games Cody would have got had he stayed and Johnson left (Johnson himself went out on loan after we signed Wilbraham in January).

Instead he went out and scored 25 goals. Best thing that could have happened for the lad, because he now has a career.... before that he probably would have felt like one of those "win a professional football contract" lads.