Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Bottom three being cut away, but the teams just above closing in on us, good or not?

Looks like the bottom three are being cut adrift, should we be happy that we look more and more safe but more and more like coming 17th or should we be setting our sights higher?

Realistically, my head says that as long as we beat the drop, that''s job done, but the greedy side of me would like to see us push that bit more and get 10th.

Ideally, we will also be safe with some to spare (win a couple in the next 4 or 5 games) then we can relax and enjoy our football a bit more, try out some fringe players, youngsters and new formations etc.

Would really be dissapointed with 17th, we''re capable of far more and it would be a poor season if we finish there let alone even lower. Would be delighted with 12th or above.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]i think Wigan will beat Newcastle tomorrow....so the picture could look rather worse then.[/quote]Well I think Newcastle will win..So the picture will look ok [;)]

If you don''t expect points from Sunderland or Wigan, where on earth do you expect them from. You''re such a miserable, negative sod it''s unreal.

I think we''ll get beaten tomorrow...purely because Sunderland will see this as a must win for them when you look at their fixtures coming up afterwards. With Wigan, who knows what kind of team we''ll face?!?... We may have to wait another 3 weeks before notching anymore points on the table against a Swansea team who are already on the beach.

[quote user="Rotherham Canary"]If you don''t expect points from Sunderland or Wigan, where on earth do you expect them from. You''re such a miserable, negative sod it''s unreal.[/quote]

Brilliant post.What is the point in supporting a football club if you think we''re going to lose every game?!

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Rotherham Canary"]If you don''t expect points from Sunderland or Wigan, where on earth do you expect them from. You''re such a miserable, negative sod it''s unreal.[/quote]

Brilliant post.What is the point in supporting a football club if you think we''re going to lose every game?!

[/quote]

eh? why can''t you support a football club whilst still making a calculated judgement each game as to what you think the result might be??

Given we''ve won one away all season, I don''t think anyone is sticking their neck out too far by suggesting we may get beaten tomorrow?

Wigan are still the wildcard in all this. They still have a game in hand and have the ability to beat anyone on their day. QPR and Reading do look just about finished. southampton and Villa are pulling away, excellent wins for them both. we may have to settle with 16th or 17th but player for player in this league this season anyway we  should be satisfied with this

Need to go to Sunderland and get 3 points but whatever happens a loss would put alot of pressure on. I sincerely hope that it does not come to the last game of the season, I still remember Fulham only too well. Probably me just panicking again!!

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Wigan are still the wildcard in all this. They still have a game in hand and have the ability to beat anyone on their day. QPR and Reading do look just about finished. southampton and Villa are pulling away, excellent wins for them both. we may have to settle with 16th or 17th but player for player in this league this season anyway we  should be satisfied with this[/quote]

Wigan have got four very winnable home games, against Newcastle, Norwich, Swansea and Villa, and a not impossible game against Spurs, plus winnable games at QPR and West Ham. They could easily get four wins and finish on about 38 points.

The thing you look for at the end of every season is whether there has been progression within the club. I would argue that finishing 17th would still be an excellent season and represent progression.

We are debt free and the club in its best financial state ever. There is a bigger transfer budget to utilise next season. There is a solid first choice back 5 to build on for next season. For me those are some very good foundations to build upon for next year if we stay up.

There''s a long way to go, almost a quarter of the season, so plenty could yet happen, but the sides cut adrift will be feeling the pressure as they can''t afford many more slip-ups. I fancy us to snaffle a point tomorrow, and edge closer to safety.

It has to be said that at the start of the season almost everyone said they''d be ok with finishing 17th and though our sights ought to be higher (win tomorrow and we can go 10th) we should be ok if that is what happens: we''ve had financial restraints this year that won''t be with us next and we can regroup with a much stronger squad next season.

If we manage a win tomorrow then I think todays results are great for us.

If we draw then I see it as neutral, given the run ins the other teams have

If we lose tomorrow then the Wigan game becomes pretty huge

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]There''s a long way to go, almost a quarter of the season, so plenty could yet happen, but the sides cut adrift will be feeling the pressure as they can''t afford many more slip-ups. I fancy us to snaffle a point tomorrow, and edge closer to safety.

It has to be said that at the start of the season almost everyone said they''d be ok with finishing 17th and though our sights ought to be higher (win tomorrow and we can go 10th) we should be ok if that is what happens: we''ve had financial restraints this year that won''t be with us next and we can regroup with a much stronger squad next season.[/quote]

''financial constraints'' !?, w were making bids of £6-8m for a striker 2 months ago?!?.......if we go down with that left unspent there would be some serious questions to answer?!?

I think all this uncertainty and worry clearly shows that the majority of fans do not have faith or trust the abillity of the players. Which furthermore proves that deep down we all know that the squad are a little out of their depth. I''d take 17th for sure then we must get serious in the summer.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]....you don''t think us having to pay down the £9(?)m debt to have been a constraint?[/quote]

presumably, if we were making the bids we had the money??......unless it was all a PR stunt?

We have no idea what bids were made nor under what terms we were looking to make them (eg when payments would be made, links to us staying up). At the time, Lennon, who I don''t necessarily believe or disbelieve, was going on about our bids being nowhere near the reported values.

If Sunderland beat us, then I fear that the best we shall achieve is 17th. Southampton and Villa look likely to finish above us, and even QPR are beginning to pull their weight.